“Excellent half-term break”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent half-term break”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've just come back from a week at the Barcelo Fuerteventura and our family thoroughly enjoyed it.

I booked directly on the Barcelo web-site as there was an offer to get a superior room at 20% off, which meant it was only marginally more expensive than a standard room.

We booked 2 rooms with a connecting door so that my mother could have her own room next to our room which was easily large enough for my wife and I and our 2 daughters. We requested a quiet room and were pleased to get a room in block 3 overlooking the gardens and the hotel next door (also a Barcelo hotel), with the sea in the distance.

The Barcelo Fuerteventura is a large hotel, however, there were plenty of sunbeds, and despite signs saying "Reserving with towels is not allowed", people did. Unfortunately, we had to join in, in order to get a spot where we could keep an eye on our young children in the pool.

The dining room is large and the food is good. Due to the number of people staying at the hotel, it did seem a bit of a chore to get food, especially as we had to get food for the children. We found that meal times were spent taking turns to get food and then eat alternatively, so while my wife sat with one child at the table, I would take the other child to get some food. On my return, she would get up to fetch some food for herself, and on her return I would fetch some food for myself. This meant my wife and I didn't spend much time at the table together. The joys of buffet style restaurants.

The food was varied and there was always something good on the menu, often more good choices than you could eat. There were about 10 choices of bread rolls, for example. I particularly liked the tomato bread.

The pools are salt water, and although not a problem, I prefer the fresh water chlorinated type. The salt water, when it dries, leaves skin feeling dry. Yes, I could get the kids to have showers all the time, but hassling them to do that is not what holidays are about.

There is a very pleasant promenade to walk along, by the beach and our children particularly enjoyed feeding the fish in the harbour (you can buy fish food for a Euro). The next hotel is also a Barcelo hotel, and all the facilities (restaurants, ice cream shop, bars) near the beach are therefore Barcelo operated, which feels a bit restrictive, however the prices are reasonable. At the back of the hotel, it is a very short walk to local shops, supermarket, bars, etc.

As it was half-term, the hotel was very busy, but seemed to be coping well.

The staff were helpful, although there didn't seem to be enough check-in staff, or perhaps the check-in process is not very efficient. The air-conditioning in both rooms wasn't working on arrival, however, after phoning reception, the maintenance man got it working. It wasn't as good as air conditioning I've got used to in Thai hotels, but it was just about adequate.

Room Tip: Block 3 facing away from the pool are quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RealGoodBloke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,584)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed November 7, 2012

+ excellent accomodation, very clean, staff friendly. Food is varied and of a good quality. The hotel is right on the beach and near to local shops.
- Towels have to be hired and there is a 2 euro charge every time you want to change them.Wireless connection is 7 euros per day or 25 euros for a week and the connection is poor

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EnglandCritch
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

we stayed at this hotel in October this year.It was our first visit to Fuerteventura so did not really know what to expect.
On arrival at the hotel we were checked in quickly and were more than happy with our room,clean tidy and beds very comfy.
The food was of a good standard and always lots of choice,also the drinks too.
Staff very attentive and always polite and ready to help.
The pool area's are all kept well and are nice and clean we did struggle some days to get sunbeds that were not in the shade as lots of people seemed to put towels on the beds but not be on them!!! The hotel has notices up asking you not to do this but do nothing to enforce it.
All in all we had a really relaxed week; nice food/drink nice weather nice staff...A really nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jennyren747
Glasgow
Reviewed November 6, 2012

2 salt water pools. Both very large. 1 heated, 1 not, the kind of cold water that takes your breath away when u first get in, then is perfect to swim lengths in. The warm pool is right for paddling. There is no shortage of sun beds or shade. Signs not to reserve sun beds are ignored, not enforced and not needed anyway.
Standard food buffet, those who are experienced Canaries/Balearic 4 star travellers will understand what I mean. Good selection of salads and fruit, the usual UHT cream desserts and Spanish bacon. The restaurant can seem very busy at times. There is a microwave in the bar area and restaurant to allow milk warming/sterilising for babies.
Negative reports about the All Inclusive bar lunch buffet are true, however you can get round this by making yourself various toasties in the pannini press and add in some chips and salad. Alternatively have a proper lunch inside. Beer at the pool bar is self serve if you prefer....though there is a technique to pour a decent glass...turn the tap fully open and run till the froth clears, usually 1 second, then decant into glass without turning tap again. Failure to do this will result in a tumbler full of froth.
No need to sign for drinks if you are All Inclusive, the wrist band suffices.
Excellent gym in the hotel spa next door. You must have a small towel.
The hotel is only 20 mins from the airport so expect occasional air traffic though this is not too intrusive.
This is very much a mixed family hotel with babies/children/couples/retired and mobility scooters with a mix of all Europeans.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bob4321
yorkshire
Reviewed November 6, 2012

hello i have to write this to let you know that this hotel is excelent my wife is disabled and in a wheelchair. no problems at all we were in a room with a wet room hired a power scooter and electric hoist from a near by shop . in the resturant my wife was given a table very near to the door and this wasv reserved for the full 2 weeks of our stay food was good . it was my wifes birthday while we was there and they made her a birthday cae 4 waiters came out with it with candles lit and sang happy birhday to her . the same night billy and 2 other entertainment team came from the stage down to us and gave my wife a diploma and a bottle of bubbly. all the shows were excellent espessally the skating one twilight express and during the day the games were good were i won 2 diplomas one for shooting and another for french bowls . i must say everybody couldnt do enough for my wife and this made her very comfertable WE SHALL BE GOING AGAIN NEXT YEAR

Room Tip: we were in room 1108 large room with a very large outside area but view wasnt to good the sun was be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Recently returned from 11 nights stay here with wife and daughters (2 and 6 year olds). Weather was great and overall enjoyed. Let me be straight. This is a good hotel. It isn't a great hotel for a few frustrating reasons.

Arriving was chaos. It seems most flights into here arrive within a few hours on a Saturday. The two people behind the desk were run ragged. They were polite but effectively you sign in when you can, and unless you want a long wait drag the bags across yourself (no trolleys etc). Not a 4 star start. It's obviously a big hotel. In general it is beautifully clean. Rooms are clean and reasonably well structured but are fairly small. The fridge is nicely cold and empty unless you ask for it to be filled (ideal for your own bits!). The safe is the best/largest I've had in a hotel but we needed to pay 3Euros/day. Also paid for Wifi (circa 20euros/week but did do other rates) - this was a bit annoying as you needed to put an 8 then 4 digit pass code every time you switched it on and the download speed was about 1mbps download ( ie slow!). Nice enough bathroom with a good shower.

The pool area has enough deck chairs even when full to capacity (as it was for us).they are fairly crammed though. There are two large main pools of which one is heated. The other was teaming with kids and mine loved it. When I say heated - it was just not quite as cold as the other but fine once you are in! Both were saline pools.

We thought the food was very good. Reasonable variety and well cooked. Lots of chicken, veal and fish. Regular pasta and pizza. Salads, veg, rice, chips. Breakfasts were good. The coffee is god awful unless you manage to queue and suss out the capsule machine which you can trick to making normal cups (bottom left button!) rather than just the nice espressos it makes.

Undoubtably however the worst thing in this hotel is the staff on the dining area. It was comical! They have managed to employ people Basil Fawlty would have rejected. They clearly were stretched but it was plain to see that many had lost their enjoyment of serving, if they ever had it. You grab them for your drinks order to start and then they just get on collecting plates, setting tables and rolling their eyes, I was last in catering as a student but would have been sacked in an instant had I ever come to work with that manner. A couple were lovely but most were dire. I contemplated naming a couple here who were the butt of the jokes in the evening but I've decided against it. PLEASE MANAGEMENT STAFF - hire a couple more for busy periods and do some training . Make yourselves visible there - you cannot miss the duffers!
That aside - you generally get your drinks and the rest is self service so it isn't actually a major issue. You were warned but if you go or are going please try and make light of it and count the eye rolling or something as the rest of this hotel is very nice!

The evening entertainment is great. A very high standard. The kids club staff (Sara etc) who perform some of this must work so hard. Really impressed. The kids loved it! Personally found one of the comperes slightly insincere (not sure he actually likes kids!) but he does a camp George fornby styley front that most seemed to like.

Kid's club again seemed great. My six year old was happily entertained when she decided to go. The staff there, along with the cleaners and chefs seem the hub of the hotel.

Other issues - well they have a slightly strange 'all inclusive' - a few areas for food that aren't included at all and annoying drinks that aren't included. Surely they could make it simpler. Spend 10 mins reading a bar list before you set off! Well worthwhile. Beach was straight opposite and very nice. People have written the gym up to be great. Very good if you want to work your chest. Not a cardio/mat place though.

On an aside we had a great family day out at Oasis Park. As regular attendees to Chester Zoo, it takes a bit to impress us but this place really did. We would certainly go back.

I would have chosen 3 1/2 stars. I wanted three and my wife four. - guess who won.
As I said, it's a good hotel, I just wish they would make it great with a few tweaks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gmaster180
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I finally had to accept that with a 5 year old and a 3 year old Ibiza was no longer a viable destination.

So we chose this one.

We are both picky beyond belief and also enjoy the finer things in life. It took us a while to agree on somewhere we were both happy with, especially as this was our first family holiday. What a fantastic choice we made, this place was amazing. After a slight hiccup with our first room which admittedly made us very nervous - our worries were soon dispelled.

The pools were great and the facilities were spotlessly clean all you could see all day were cleaners working and gardeners keeping the grounds pristine. The food was fabulous, and while the service in the restaurant was a little hit and miss, it didn't take us long to work out where the best service was in the dining room. We stayed in that area for the remainder of the holiday and were extremely well looked after. The service at all of the bars was also top notch.

We were also pleasantly surprised by the shows. Neither my wife of I ever thought we'd see the day when we said we'd enjoyed the Hotel entertainment but I suppose we're that age now. The kids LOVED Grease is the word as well as the Magician. The entertainment staff were great and the girls that ran the kids club were also fabulous - they really made our little boy's holiday.

Our room was fantastic and cleaned to an extremely high standard every day. I, in particular cannot help but find fault with places when I go away. I found none here. All four of us had a fabulous time. There is a great mix of nationalities as well as ages. It was also great to see how the place had been made accessible for people with disabilities in spite of the many different levels and steps.

In short we enjoyed ourselves so much we have already booked to go back again next year directly with the hotel - it was that good this place is a credit to it's staff and the management.

Room Tip: Try and avoid the ground floor as you don't get to have a view in the evening.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real
Hotel Elba Carlota
Hotel Elba Carlota
#5 of 27 in Antigua

Been to Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa? Share your experiences!