“A nice holiday............But..............”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Suffolk
“A nice holiday............But..............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

.....this time, having stayed now at this hotel many times over the last 6 years, we found it extremely busy which is wonderful for the hotel and the resort, but we felt this affected the overall quality of the holiday.
We fully understand that the islands have benefited from those who have rescheduled holidays originally for Tunisia & Egypt and as said before, this can only be good for the resorts. But in our opinion, experiances over mealtimes could be enough to discourage return visitors.
Its true the resort has got much busier since we started coming out here in 2005, but it had never lost any of its charm. This year it just seemed too busy at the hotel, especially the mealtimes when you not only had to wait to enter the resturant, but on some evenings you were in a line of approx 30 people. This did then discourage us to then go eat elsewhere, which is not a problem in the resort as there are many places to eat, however as having paid for half board, you would like to think you can enter your own resturant to eat. When you do get a table and then go to get your food, you are constantly fighting through a whole host of very rude people who push past without so much as an 'excuse me'. This also affects the food as the staff themselves couldn't get to replenish any empty trays etc......
If you do want to eat out as a change from buffet style food, then FADO ROCK is a good bet, but avoid EL PATIO, as the service was (when we attended) very poor indeed and the food quite poor also.
The resort, weather, service and overall holiday was very nice, but perhaps next year we may look elsewhere...........

Room Tip: Take some peanuts to feed the chipmunks...........
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,548)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

We had a wonderful 2 weeks holiday here. It is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport (12-14 euros) if you are not on a package. We went all-inclusive - well worth it - the food was wonderful - we had large fresh prawns, duck, suckling pig on occasion and always roasts or meat/fish cooked in a sauce. The salads were beautiful and all food was plentiful. The sweets were amazingly light and tasty. Our bedroom in block 3 overlooking the pools was the most comfortable we have every had - the bed was 7 foot square with a good firm matress!! The hotel service - and everything else - was just wonderful! As we are aged 59 and 69 respectively, we now look for quality - and we found it here. There was also a 24 hour English speaking surgery (or doctor) right across the road and a lovely dentist (Dr Zirca) just a bus ride away in Puerto del Rosario - at the top of the Rotundas shopping centre. A large filling dropped out when flossing my teeth and Daniel, a most helpful man at hotel reception, arranged for me to go there right away ... and I immediately had my tooth smoothed and a temporary filling put in - for just 20 euros. Bonus was that C&As were on the floor below so I enjoyed some retail therapy as well! The animacion team were lovely - particularly the girls who did aquagymnastics each day - my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the exercise and their company and can't wait to go back and do it all again! Both pools were salt water - which were lovely to swim in - and meant you ended up with a lovely sun tan!
We went to all 14 shows - Starlight Express was just superb- with the team whizzing round the comfortable, spacious theatre at an amazing rate. The 4 tenors were also excellent and the sound system in the building is good. Some shows were better than others - but all were well done. The animacion team work really hard!
I would highly recommend Thalasso Spa if you want a very comfortable hotel in a quiet area - no worries for two weeks - and once you have paid if all inclusive, you never have to open your wallet - apart from tips at the end!.

Room Tip: Great place to go - no worries!
Hungerford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

I cannot believe how negative people can be, we have just arrived back from this hotel and had a wonderful time, food was first class and not repetitive at all, but I suppose if you eat chips every night it is for some people!!!! All staff were very pleasant and the room was delightful with lovely comfortable beds. Some people's expectations are too high and believe me ours are high too but we can honestly say it was a lovely place to stay and whoever is staying in this hotel wont be disappointed. Some people havent got anything better to do, they are called lifes whingers!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank sucusjane37
burgess hill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Seems some people expect more than they have paid for..
We had a great week.. the hotel is in a good location, clean and the rooms were large and comfortable.
The pool was perfect temperature, and even though it was busy we always found sunbeds, even though towels were put down early.
Yes the staff wernt overly interactive, but they were efficient.
We found the food really good, and there is something for all tastes.
We stayed in block 1 floor 3, and yes it could be quite noisy...
Overall it was great value for money, we think it is the best hotel there and recomend highly to anyone looking for a chill out week, with good food, great weather and a lovely hotel and pool.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed 16th March 11 for 7 nights with Hubby, 5yr old and 3yr old.

The check in procedure at the Barcelo is odd with staff asking you to fill in a form then go for a drink whilst they check your room is ready with the cleaners. Something I've never come across before and it lengthened the whole process considerably. The room was a good enough size with 1 King and a 3/4 size pull out sofa. The bed was very comfy (so much that the Hubby has ordered us a new one since coming home) and even the pull out wasn't too bad. I did like the sink area: separate to the bathroom so mum can dry her hair & put on make up whilst dad baths the kids without steaming up the mirror. There was a very good sized wardrobe with mirrored doors though drawer space was a bit lacking and you might want to take a good supply of your own hangers to supplement.
The room was cleaned and tidied every day and towels supplied as often as you required.

Eating in the restaurant was one area we felt the hotel let itself down. It's not a massive deal but something we noticed and came to bug us a bit. In an evening the restaurant was great. The food was absolutely fantastic to I standard I've never encountered before. The selection was varied and extensive and high quality and there were no queues. If you order a bottle of wine at dinner and don't finish it they will save it for you til the next evening. Even the dessert selection was great and 2 nights there was a chocolate fountain. At breakfast also there was extensive choice of good quality food, however the drink service was abysmal. The only drink they served to table was filter coffee with a jug of hot milk but it was hit and miss whether they would serve any for the duration of your breakfast or whether it would come at the very end. Everything else including tea was self service from machines which at times had queues upto 12 deep. Everywhere else I've ever stayed has served a choice of tea or coffee to your table. Like I said small deal really but annoying just the same.

The bar service was the worst of all though. It took forever to be served at the bar especially at night but also in the Aloe Grill where I recommend having all drinks and food charged to your room rather than pay cash as getting a bill took such a long time 3 days running that for the remainder of our stay the Hubby refused to eat there.

The pool area is very nice and all the grounds are meticulously landscaped and a pleasure to walk in. There is a good childrens play area with slide and swings just behind the kids pool and an indoor games room though I never got that far. The pool does unfortunately have broken tiles and I heard of a couple of kids who cut their feet including mine. It was possible to get sunbeds later in a morning as the hotel was not full though not the best ones and you never saw the owner of the towels materialize!

Finally, my son became ill in the middle of our stay with a very high temperature which I struggled to cool. I approached the reception staff about the air conditioning in our room which wasn't at all effective (room temperature and blowing about as fast as you breathe) and the room was so hot. On the next day he was still hot and we hadn't seen anyone so I went back to reception where they seemed to take exception to my request telling me that someone would come but basically that air conditioning isn't supposed to make a room cold! and that I was expecting too much from it. Until this point the rubbish ac hadn't been a problem but I really need the room cool however when the guy came he basically put his head up through the vent banged something and got back down giving thumbs up. There was no change. It was cooler in the corridor. I figure they thought I was a bit daft or green to believe anything was done. I think they may turn it down further in the hotter months. Anyway his fever broke and the ac wasn't necessary anymore so I left it as we only had 1 day left by then but it is just about the worst service I've received anywhere I've been.

Caleta is a beautiful, clean and quiet resort. Perfect for young children esp. those with nervous parents! The beach is clean, water as clear as from a tap and gently shelves into the sea. There are a couple of really nice kids play areas around the resort which are free to use. I was surprised by the prices in resort. I know that the days when everything on holiday was a fraction of the cost at home are long departed but I was still surprises to find that most things were 50% more than UK prices. 1 budweiser, 1 glass sangria and 2 orange juices at lunch cost 15+ euros.

Room Tip: Avoid room in block 1 - next to music bars.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Arrived about midday on a Saturday and the reception area was rammed with people checking out. Room was not ready which was not a big deal and we had somewhere to leave the luggage and go for lunch.
The area is very quiet and clean!!! the hotel grounds are magnificent and clean!! Pool areas well appointed and as long as you do not select the main pool area are also very quiet.
Checked into the room which was beautifully presented, we liked the seperate bath and WC from the sink area, the rooms are spacious and we had an excellent view from the balcony.
We like to use the safe in the room and are prepared to pay the three Euros per day, - very bad idea in our room, a fault with the safe and the need to have a "handiman" cost me at least an hour and a half of sun on the first afternoon. - use your case and lock it, it should be as secure!
Daily room service was very variable with the room not being made up on two days until after 16:30 - one day we took the towels and did the rest ourselves.
Beach/pool towels have to be obtained from reception, 10 Euro deposit for each which is required in cash! 2 euros to get them laundered. Bit of a problem if you have budgeted per day as cash deposits are a drain on resource.
Restaurant is extensive, effectively split into four quarters with self serve to centre. There are no early evening meals for families so you have to take your chance with screaming babies who would rather be in bed than having faces made at them at 20:00hrs in the evening.
Food was safe, lots of it and for the most part of good quality - not adventurous and almost dissapointing in its routine regularity. The hotel boasts a frequent cookery demonstration however the nearest i got was two easy over eggs for breakfast.. Beware though because the chefs in the morning appear to be there to do their job rather than provide a service to their patrons. The last Friday we were there for dinner was a little more adventurous with lots of shrimp on the shell (very good) and suckling pig which was fantastic.
Service in the restaurant was generally excellent, there are some extremely dynamic waiting staff who really provide not optimal but fantastic service.
If you are not a smoker and we are not, we had a hard time passing though the haze of smokers who congregate just outside of the restaurant for their fix. It is particularly unpleasant in the morning when the breeze is insufficient to carry the fumes away, of course if you are a smoker to hell with the rest of us!
The area outside of the hotel is safe and very pleasant. There is a super beach area to the sea side of the hotel and very pleasant walkways in both directions. A friendly Heron at the beach who patrols every morning as the tide is going out - very special if you enjoy the majesty of the bird in his surroundings.
We only ate out once (the first Saturday lunch) I was not too impressed with the food but we probably picked a poor place. There are a number of British/Irish pubs/dining areas which we avoided, we did not fly 2000 miles to drink English beer,
Local bus service to the capital is fantastic and a short walk from the hotel. Very reasonably priced and running reasonably regularly, the bus visits other tourist areas on the way but is a very enjoyable experience.
Summing up, the reception staff could be better, they represent the hotel and were left wanting several times.
The restaurant and food were as you would expect but the staff try to make it a special experience.We could not fault the food althought the roasts were always too well done and the entrecote steaks were prepared in anticipation of paving the road to Rome (avoid!)
The room was fantastic, spacious and well thought out in respect of both the bathroom but also the layout. Airy and spacious, the room (although you do not spend very much time there) is nice to come back to at the end of the day.
The area including paved walkways in both directions is fantastic for both couples and families wishing either a pre prandial or post prandial walk.
Shops are there if you want them with a local supermarket to provide the neccesities.
We found that the milk purchased went off by the second day despite being left in the fridge in the room (leave a key in the switch at the door to ensure continuous power to the fridge.

Room Tip: Take a kettle for a cup of tea in the room
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We've just returned from 1 week all inclusive.
It is a very nice hotel, very clean, large areas, good grounds and swimming pools, good bedrooms and right next to the beach.
It is very much what you can ask for an all inclusive 4 star beach resort, so do not expect luxury. I guess that if you want a bit more luxury will need to travel further (Asia, Caribbean) or be prepared to pay a bit more
All staff was extremely friendly and deserve our respect. I must say they work very hard and cope with a lot of stress and the bad temper of some of the guests who, honestly, treat them like slaves.
On the contrary to many reviews we found the food very good. So many options, from fresh salads, to paellas, grilled fish and meat, fresh fruits, cheese, a nice variety of deserts, and of course the usual pasta, pizza and chips. Even for our 1 year old there were many options.
As many people said before you'll need to pay 10€ for deposit for the swimming pool towels but I think it is fair enough otherwise ,and in the end you get your money back, so I don't think it is an issue.
If you are travelling with young children this is a friendly hotel. The Kids club seemed very nice, the playgrounds were also very well kept and the swimming pool was also nice (but a bit chilly for this time of the year)
I would recommend this hotel for those who want a week in a sunny (and sometimes windy) place close to the continent and to the European standards without travelling faraway. If you want a bit of Spanish culture this might not be the right place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Hotel Elba Carlota
Hotel Elba Carlota
#5 of 28 in Antigua
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,762 reviews

Been to Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa? Share your experiences!