“brilliant holiday”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston UK
“brilliant holiday”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Just back (1 week) spending 28 days in the Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort - After a change of apartment (which we were charged an astronomical 30Euros after 2 days of staying in apartment with no sun on the terrace) we were given a lovely apartment with 2 balconys so we had sun all day (alas next door to a building site) however we stayed there for our 26 days and had a good holiday persevering with the builders - the food was great and had a wide variety of choice - the hotel staff were very friendly and the cleaning staff also very friendly and did for us whatever we asked - nice place to stay if you are happy with lots of children -

Room Tip: Make sure you have a sunny terrace or balcony and if you are Ok with children then good value for mo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Geoffrey M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a weeks stay here, we are a young couple. The resort is only 10 minutes away from the airport, quick transfer! We stayed self catering in a one bedroom apartment (1045). The apartment itself was probably classed as the most basic but there were larger ones available and I guess it depends on what board you are staying too. We stayed Self Catering. The apartment had a lounge/dining room with a 4 seater table, a large sofa and chair and flat screen TV with a mixture of channels (English ones were BBC World News and Bloomberg). The kitchen was small, but suited out needs. This had a 2 ring hob, microwave, kettle and toaster in. The bathroom was lovely (no bath just shower), but it was a large wet room with a giant overhead power shower in one corner, all very modern. There was a hair dryer in there too. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, and the A/C worked wonders for those warm nights. The apartment also had double sliding doors from the lounge and bedroom onto your own small patio area with sun loungers and table and chairs. The maid service is consistent and they kept our apartments very clean. The whole resort was very clean, and the staff took pride in making sure they were always working to keep the area tidy. The swimming pools were lovely and clean, and there was always sun beds for us. Even in high season there would be plenty.
The apartments are in a little gated community so you can only enter if you have your key card, also there are CCTV cameras on all gate entrances. The beach is literally 5 mins away, again depends on where your apartment is situated but they are all relatively close. You can get to the beach by walking along the promenade. All the staff were very friendly too. The main reception has a small supermarket inside too.

The surrounding area is nice too with plenty of choice for food and drink. They have some lovely typical Spanish restaurants too which are great to check out if you want something more local. Restaurants I would recommend are: 15, Goose and Firkin, El Fado, Tony's, El Capitan. Also would recommend Kings Arms for drinks.

I wouldn't bother getting wi-fi at the resort as it doesn't work, and when it does it's very very slow. Wouldn't waste your money, and if you are desperate most restaurants have free wi-fi, just ask! I would also say if you are Self Catering and want to buy something from the Pool Bar, it's very expensive.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Natasha R
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great place and a lot of entertainment for kids and sport activities for the parents. Only downside is the work of the chambermaids! Tennis and paddle courts are available, wireless internet is 25 per week or 35 for 2 weeks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Christian K
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Travelled to Barcelo Castillo Beach resort with friends for a one week winter sun break. We had requested 2 specific bungalows near pool, bar & over-looking beach. We were allocated bungalows 3104 & 3105 which were brilliant & exactly what we had requested. The bungalows themselves have a livingroom with plasma, patio doors to terrace with loungers, table & chairs. There is a kitchen area with everything you need inc fridge & we had 1 bedroom with patio doors also. Overall great holiday, Caletta de Fuste was an excellent choice - close to airport (10 mins), lots of bars & restaurants (highly recommend Fado Rock - it was amazing & customer service was brilliant).

Room Tip: Can highly recommend rooms 3104 & 3105. There are also "brand new" very modern rooms w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Stevie C
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I travelled on 1st feb for a weeks R&R. I travelled as a solo female so carefully chose this Hotel and am so glad I did. I took a taxi from airport with another annoyed couple as shuttle arranged by holidaytaxis.com kept people waiting well over an hour and it was starting to get dark. 10 mins away and 13 Euro. This was not hotels fault though as independent transfer service.
On arrival I was checked in quickly by friendly staff and allocated a superior bungalow 2076 which was newly refurbished and 1 minute from reception and buffet restaurant. Décor was modern and fresh and the bathroom was lovely, beds were comfy too. I was all inclusive but still had a handy kitchen to use plus a patio with comfy sun loungers and furniture. Maids came daily.
The Buffet Restaurant had plenty of choice and I didn't have any complaints about the food other than temperatures weren't as hot as they should be there was a microwave to give food a blast if need be. I found the earlier I ate the hotter the food although it was constantly replenished. Staff were friendly and worked tirelessly.
I didn't use the pools as really cold and heated pool was busy and noisier but weather was fab to sunbathe and the AI snack bar was great as all self service. Chips, burgers, chicken, salads and the cava, sangria, wine slush puppies on tap made my days by the pool bliss!
As a lone female it would have been nice to have a lounge bar indoors to have an after dinner drink rather than being subjected to kids mini disco in the tent with the bad wine in plastic cups. I walked to La perlita bar each evening on beach front for cocktails but it was dead and as I didn't fancy going to centre alone each night the evening's were disappointing. Thank goodness they had English channels on TV in room and I bought a DVD player.
I recommend the Thallassospa at next doors hotel, I had a treatment but you can pay to use heated pool which I didn't realise until last day.
My only negative was the charge for the safe even though 7 euro was returned it should be fully refundable on return of the key. I paid 25 Euro for a weeks wifi only to find it can only be used in reception or if I hung out the kitchen window. This is appalling and should be sorted out or not charge at all.
I would definitely consider returning and after viewing the 2 bedroom bungalows which are huge I shall return with my family or possibly try Barceló Feurteventura Hotel next door as I believe they entertain their guests at night!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room near reception as some people had to walk quite a way. Apartments in 5000 block...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank TJmum_12
britnix
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I am the female half of a couple in their 40's who travel the world, mainly staying in small resorts and scuba diving as a main activity. We stayed at this resort as we wanted to have a winter's break with good weather, beautiful surroundings and peace and reasonable priced. Did we find it at this resort? Yes and no...Our accommodation was at the very end of the resort, literally right next door to the other Barcello resort, room 3046. It had everything we could have wanted for self catering. A very comfortable bed (2 singles pushed together) a good sized bathroom, small kitchenette which was fine for breakfast (bacon, cup of tea, toast ect), a sunny balcony, sun beds and a dining table outside. One bonus of being at the very end of the resort is that we were a stone's throw from restaurants and the supermarket, one downside is that live music played until 11pm most evening and disco music played until 4am opposite us. We always take ear plugs and did get a good night's sleep, the live music was pleasant and not over bearing..however the disco was a different matter! Very loud and woke us both us a few times. I'm glad we did not have children staying with us. The resort in itself is very clean, safe and huge! The swimming pool's are great, we jumped in and swam in one and it was very refreshing. The beach is very close to the resort, and is very perfect for small children. Their are lots of facilities, including cafe's and ice cream places close to the beach. I found the resort busy enough in February, but very peaceful and quiet also. The cleaners did not do the apartment justice, they left our kitchen area completely. Luckily we were able to park right outside our apartment block, again this was a plus to staying at the end of the resort. I did email and ask for a sea view, we did get a slight (very slight) view through the trees!) I would return to this resort in February as overall I was pleased and have returned home very relaxed and happy.

Room Tip: Room 3046 was right next to the road, at the very end of the resort
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank britnix
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

got back yesterday.. On arrival got a taxi frm airport only 13 euro.. Was put in block 1 superior bungalow.. Nightmare it was across a busy road away frm bar resturant and pool.. They moved us to block 2 excellent.. Had a top floor room 2037 sun all day on terrace.. Maid was rubbish had to complain a few times but it was felt with straight the way.. No where to relax in hotel no lounge or bar.. Just the entertainment room which is dated. All drinks are in plastic cups even at night unless your not all inclusive. So to me that means you cant be trusted with glass if your AI.. Half hotel has been done to high standard half still needs doing.. Pool area half of it is nice half awful.. Pool was frezzing no body went in it. Food was amazing and so clean staff were brilliant would defo go bak wen its all finished

• Stayed February 2014
#6 of 46 in Corralejo
Hotel Elba Carlota
Hotel Elba Carlota
#5 of 28 in Antigua

Been to Barcelo Castillo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!