“Coffee club is better.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sage Cafe Restaurant

Sage Cafe Restaurant
Reserve with
Sage Cafe Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 274 Restaurants in Broadbeach
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Pizza, Seafood, Grill, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: WINNER – Australia’s Favourite Family Restaurant 2010, 2012WINNER – Best Café Restaurant 2009 & 2012STATE WINNER – Best Café Restaurant 2007WINNER – Best Licensed Restaurant 2005, 2006 & 2007Open from 7am till late, 7 days; Sage Café’s menus feature traditional favourites mixed with contemporary flavours and we specialize in high quality steaks and fresh seafood. Sage’s steaks are Meat Standards Australia certified and are 90 day aged and grass fed. With it’s northerly aspect, Sage Café Restaurant is one of the few venues that enjoys full sun all day, making it the perfect place to enjoy a leisurely breakfast or lunch and has a bustling pace enhanced by the action of the open kitchen.
“Coffee club is better.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Fish was bland. Steak is better at The Stock Exchange bar and grill ($10.00 steak n chops) Brisbane. Which is nothing to be proud of.

The calamari entree was a taste tester and the drinks were Luke warm.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
JustineC1, Manager at Sage Cafe Restaurant, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear "Dontgotosage"
Thanks for taking the time to review Sage Cafe after your recent experience. While of course we are very upset that we did not appear to live up to your expectations on this occasion, we also note that many people reading this review might feel that the name you have chosen to give yourself in order to offer it makes your motives seem very personal and not objective as is the spirit of this website. It is a shame you did not take the time to offer this feedback while you were still at Sage as I can assure you that we take the uptmost pains to ensure that our guests have a fantastic experience with us and leave happy.
Thank you again for caring enough to share your thoughts, we take all feedback on board and are grateful for it.

Adelaide
“Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We have eaten here numerous times. When you stay at The Wave they give you 25% off the food bill. We have used this before but have even driven in to Broadbeach to eat here with friends. Great friendly service and fantastic fresh food from a great menu!

Visited February 2012
Dear David_and_Samantha,
Thanks you for your lovely feedback - we LOVE that The Wave Resort thinks so highly of us to refer us to all of their guests and also that you enjoyed the experience enough to give us the thumbs up on-line!
we definitely look forward to serving you again at Sage Cafe soon.

Sydney, Australia
“impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We ate again at another Gold Coast restaurant tonite; geez they had kangaroo on the menu and so i thought i better give it a go; it was really very nice. Hop hop!!
My friend Bianca had the reef and beef and she was equally impressive. Todd had the salt and pepper calamari which as he said was to die for. one issue we had was the toilet was about 50 metres walk up and around the back of the restaurant; but this got my legs some exercise. The cheesecake was very nice too by the way. Not too rich. Coffee could have been better but overall a very good experience. Hope to make it there again

• 5 of 5 bubbles
JustineC1, Manager at Sage Cafe Restaurant, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Ash W,
Thanks for choosing to dine at Sage Cafe recently and for the fantastic review you have given us on Trip Advisor. We are so glad you enjoyed all of your meals (the Salt & Pepper Calamari is my favourite too! :) It is unfortunate that we do not have our own restrooms, most restaurants in this area don't - but as it is not far away, I'm glad you saw the positives.
Thanks again and hope to see you back at Sage soon.

Melbourne, Australia
“Definitely needs improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My partner and I had dinner here and were very disappointed by the quality of the food and the atmosphere. We were there for just over an hour but had about 4 different waiters serving us as they kept rushing around from table to table and made us feel impersonal. We both ordered the eye fillet and were left unsatisfied with the dish. For $37 I expected a side salad that didn't look like it had come from a packet and which had been washed. It was dry and drizzled excessively with a very strong dressing. The chat potatoes lacked any real flavour and the mushroom sauce whilst nice also felt like it came from a packet. The eye fillet was good but that's because it is hard to stuff up such a good cut of meat. The atmosphere inside the restaurant was very noisy as there was some music channel blaring in the background and the floors were dirty and sticky. After this we didn't even bother with the dessert menu. At $93 including 2 drinks, our money would have been better spent elsewhere.

1 Thank SMBristow
JustineC1, Manager at Sage Cafe Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear SMBristow,
Thanks for you review of Sage Cafe on Trip Advisor - my sincere apologies if I am wrong, but I believe that your dinner partner from that night also took the time to review us and I have already responded to his comments as they are identical to yours so rather than repeating myself (that would just be boring for you :) I would like to offer sincere apologies that we didn't live up to your expectations on this particular night and to thank you both for offering your comments and giving such valuable feedback!
Kind regards
Southport, Australia
“"Looks can be Deceiving"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've reviewed this restaurant before with a very good outcome, however, this evening I took my mother for dinner and was sorely disappointed. It all started from the beginning when we arrived (we had a booking) and were greeted with a sour face, no warm welcome, told we couldn't sit where we wanted to and then once seated I managed to quickly shoot in a drinks order before this sour person disappeared on us.
Our waitress was very nice, but when the going got tough (I sent my over cooked steak back) she disappeared and we ended up being served by someone entirely different.
We ordered only main courses, these were the mixed Seafood Plate $34.50 (whiting pieces, calamari, prawns etc) & a Beef & Reef $38.50 with Bearnaise sauce (to be cooked medium). We waited about 35 minutes for our mains (the restaurant was half empty). When finally our meals showed up, my steak was well-done, the prawns & veggies were cold and there was a scattering of Bearnaise sauce on the plate that would have left any steak loving connoisseur screaming for more (which I did & ended up being charged $3.80 for extra). The seafood dish came with a small token of green salad with no vinaigrette dressing and there was no lemon wedge for the seafood. It was stodgy and very heavy handed for such delicate food.
The wines also left a lot to be desired. The Riesling choice for a glass was so sweet it could have been classed in the dessert wine category.
We decided that it was time to cut our loses and not partake in this restaurant anymore and got the bill.
That came to $105.10 for 2 mains, 2 soft & 2 wines (Oh, I forgot the extra side of Bearnaise sauce). There was no attempt to comp anything off our bill for the overcooked meal, especially when the second meal came back with the exact same veggies (cold) and just the new steak and prawns that were still only OK.
I think that this place is in a great spot and really capitalises on this to it's advantage, but it then drops the ball on the most important aspect and that is quality of the food, service with a smile and value for your money.
It now does not deliver on any of these points and should not be taking any more honest people's money. They do not deserve it.
Hint.....go down the road to Koi and pay for a fabulous steak for the same price and get service with a smile.
The photos I have added are to show you how deceiving looks can be because the food came out looking great, until you started eating it.

2 Thank gldcstgirl
Dear Gldgstgirl,
Thanks for revisiting Sage Cafe after your brilliant first visit and for also taking the time to add your impressions of your 2nd visit to Trip Advisor. It is never nice to read that we have let our customers down but we are always grateful for the feedback as it helps us make improvements. I have spoken to the manager and head chef of the restaurant to ask for their feedback and was informed that on that particular night we were let down by 2 staff members calling in sick at very short notice so while it may have seemed to you that our restaurant was half empty at the time you dined, I was told it was actually a very busy night. Having said that, there is absolutely no excuse for offering below standard service and I am sure you will agree that from your first experience with us, what you experienced the other night was an unfortunate occurrence where we got caught out with not enough staff, but certainly not the norm for us. I want you to know that we are genuinely sorry that you left us unhappy, it is the worst feedback we could hope to get - that we disappointed our guests on any night, under any circumstances but I do feel that it is a shame that you refer to us as taking 'honest people's money' as it implies that we are less than honest ourselves and while I understand that you are clearly distressed about your experience, it was definitely never our intention to 'deceive' you.
We would dearly love a chance to have you dine with us again to make it up to you - I can be contacted at justine@sagerestaurant.com.au if you would ever be interested in giving us another chance to make a better impression.