“Not great”

ULTIQA Freshwater Point Resort
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Checkin was fine. The apartment was fine. The location wasn't great as it is a bit stuck away from Broadbeach - so to walk there is a good 15 minutes, but it is ok for the money.

The problem for me was that I was woken at 7am by the builders who were reroofing the building, and depositing ton after ton of rubble down a rubbish shoot. This lasted all day, and was deafening. I understand works have to be done, but we should have been forewarned.
It was so unpleasant that I decided to check-out that day (I had a 10 day booking), and rather than be apologetic or try and appease me, the staff were extremely unapologetic and blunt, and just told me if I left I would lose my entire payment. I explained I hadn't paid $2000 to stay in a building site, and if they had put a notice on their webiste or emailed me, then I would not have booked. Their response was that the works had 'overrun' so they didn't think it necessary to inform guests.
Eventually after spending a whole day on the phone to reception, management, reception, management, reception..... you get the idea? they allowed me to leave with 9 days of my money back.

So I would advise:
1. The place is ok, apartments are nice enough, new and well equipped.
2. Check that there aren't any building works going on. I suspect there might be more, as the works I saw looked quite long term.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ryanmo
HCP_Group, Public Relations Manager at ULTIQA Freshwater Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

We are sorry to hear that your recent stay with us at Freshwater was problematic. Unfortunately at the time of your stay the builders were removing rocks from a section of the building during the day.

It is pleasing to hear that our staff was able to resolve the issue and refund you in full.
We are happy to hear you found our facilities of our Resort to be well equipped and we hope you will return to Freshwater again one day soon.

We hope the rest of your stay on the Gold Coast was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband 3 kids and myself had the pleasure of staying here for 4 nights, and we loved it. We definetly will be back, the staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble from the time we got there till the time we left. Rooms are beautiful fully self contained and comfortable,

Room Tip: we had 3rd floor room 2317 which overlooked both pools, spa, river and at night the beautiful lights...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review of our property on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room to be comfortable for your 4 night stay.

We will be sure to pass on your lovely comments regarding our staff who will be pleased to hear they were able to assist in making your stay an enjoyable one.

We look forward to seeing you again at Freshwater on your next visit to the Gold Coast.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had a week’s holiday here last month and enjoyed our stay. The resort (hotel?) is about half a mile back from the beach and sits on the corner of one of the many waterways in the area just behind a local convention centre.

We arrived after travelling from Canberra and then 75 minutes by car from Brisbane so I stayed in the car with my sleeping daughter while my wife checked us in. She came out fuming as the receptionist had apparently been very off-hand with her. I don’t think we were expecting flower garlands and pina coladas on arrival but a simple welcome would have been nice!
Nonetheless we parked our car in the underground car park close to our appointed lift and managed to get all of our cases upto the room in one attempt (the lifts are quite narrow so getting in and out with other people around can be quite challenging).

We were on one of the upper floors looking back out towards the hills and the view was beautiful. The apartment (we had a two-bed apartment) was great; spacious, light open and airy with everything necessary to cook and eat a full meal. We also had a balcony with a great view and the usual range of TVs, DVD and iPod players in both living room and master bedroom.

The rooms were all spacious although the master en suite was almost larger than the bedroom itself and having two bathrooms made my young daughter’s stay for her. As noted by others, there was no wi-fi but there was a Starbucks just down the road that provided wi-fi for customers (30 minute access codes provided with each cup of coffee!)

Everything felt as if it was very new (both in the rooms and around the hotel as a whole) and the pool area was pristine. Granted it’s not an Olympic-sized pool but it was more than large enough for us and had great views over the local waterways. We loved to just sit on one of the three or four lounger areas around the pool and watch life on the waterways as everyone seems to be in a boat come weekends.

We also liked the location; just 5 minutes walk to the main street, restaurants and shops (although it was a bit of a pain waiting to cross the 6+ lane Gold Coast highway each time we wanted to wander down towards the beach, but at least we were set far enough back not to suffer any noise from traffic or any of the louder holidaymakers). There was a decent sized shopping centre just off the main street in Broadbeach (Broadbeach Mall) and another much larger one just 5 minutes drive down the road (Pacific Fair) so we had everything we needed in easy reach.

The hotel/apartments also housed a small but exquisite coffee shop/cafe which was a delight to use; great produce and a lovely girl behind the counter who doted on our daughter and made everyone welcome – perhaps she could give some lessons to the front of house staff.

Minor gripes; sometimes we did find it difficult to find a parking space as so many are reserved and as the relatively limited number of staff all seemed to disappear at 5.00pm or thereabouts, it often felt a bit like the Marie Celeste in the evenings which left me anxious about what to do in the case of a problem or accident.

Otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed ours stay and would happily go back again.

Room Tip: If you are self-catering, you can get everything you need from the local Coles, 5 minutes walk away...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for providing this review on your experience in staying with us at Freshwater, reviews such as yours are very important for those considering staying with us in the future.

We apologise for the reception you received by a staff member at the front desk, these comments have been passed onto the General Manager of the Resort for further action.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the size of your apartment and had a lovely view of the Hinterland. It sounds like you spent some lovely days out by the pool too, something which many of our guests enjoy when they stay with us.

We will be sure to pass on your comments to Dean who runs the Freshwater Café, he will be delighted to hear you enjoyed the delicious food on offer and that his staff were welcoming.

We are very happy to hear that you would happily return to Freshwater and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort in the very near future.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Booked a week here for my Niece and her new husband as a gift, they tell me the hotel is exactly as you see it on the internet with they say is rather unusuall...staff were super and very accommodating, location was perfect close enough to the action but far enough away not to hear the noisy cars during the V8 race week.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HCP_Group, Public Relations Manager at ULTIQA Freshwater Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

We are delighted to hear that your Niece and her husband enjoyed their recent stay at Freshwater Point Resort, what a lovely gift to give!

It is great to hear that they enjoyed everything our Resort has to offer and that our staff were accommodating to their needs.

We hope you too will take the opportunity to come and visit us at Freshwater Point Resort and experience it for yourself one day soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights with my hubby. After extensive research on accommodation settled on this as used my Entertainment Book and received a special rate. Was a little sceptical as this place has mixed reviews but it turned out to be excellent. The Receptionist was a little 'frosty', and she asked me how we got into the building and so I told her 'through the door', as it was a strange question, and she said that she 'didn't see us'!. Now I read the review prior to this one I see that guy went to reception via the carpark, which is obviously not the correct procedure, so maybe that is why she asked how we got in. It was such a strange thing to say to a guest my hubby said he wanted to say to her that 'he wouldnt want her on his security team if she missed us' but it was clear the woman had no sense of humour so thought it wise not to say that! Wish she had a name tag, but didnt notice it. Really people like her shouldnt have front of house positions! The other woman on reception was very pleasant. The apartment was great, a 1 beddy with a great view over the pool and waterway to the buildings closer to the beach. It had everything we needed although no door on the bathroom bothered my hubby but not me and we both thought that the kitchen layout was poorly thought out with little prep space and nowhere to stack dirty dishes prior to rinsing for the dishwasher, but with a bit of thought appliances could have been laid out differently and would have worked better. Security at night a bit lax as we were awoken at 3am with people in the pool and spa, with no sign of security they were there for about an hour. However, we had a great stay in this stylish resort, close to everything Broadbeach and surrounds have to offer.

Room Tip: Apartments looking over pool are a bit noisy but always something to look at.We had an apartment fac...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZaZaPapamoa

Thank you for this review of your recent stay with us at Freshwater Point Resort.

It is disappointing to hear of the reception you received from our front of house staff member as we pride ourselves on being a friendly and welcoming Resort. Your comments have been forwarded to our General Manager who will discuss this matter with the team.

Our pool and spa area are not allowed to be accessed after 9pm at night, so this was a definite breach of security. Our security records show that this incident was logged and a Security Guard attended the incident as soon as they were alerted. We certainly apologise for the inconvenience and disruption this caused you during your stay.

It is fantastic to hear that overall you enjoyed our Resort and facilities and the fantastic location being so close to the heart of cosmopolitan Broadbeach.

We hope you will visit us again soon at Freshwater Point Resort.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

After purchasing an apartment here early 2012, & becoming a permanent resident.. i wanted to share my thoughts about this hidden treasure! And no, i'm not a real estate agent trying to sell my stock. :) . From the moment my partner & i moved in here, we have seen major improvements. A well needed new management had just taken over, and had one hell of a job on there hands to turn this place around from the bad state it was left in. Crisp!! Is the word that comes to my mind when i walk into the reception area now. It has 3 pools, 2 larger pools/ 1 a lap pool & the other a shallow waiting pool for kids which has a waterfall also. The gym is quite small, but has the basics to keep in shape. These machines get a fair workout and sometimes break down, but do get fixed as soon as it's reported to maintenance. Along with the works of a steam room/sauna & heated spa over looking the canal. It also has a cafe, which has your basic drinks&alcoholic beverages plus a fresh healthy food selection. There are 2 levels of car parking, but do check there is no reserved sign posted, as this place is not only holiday let but owner/occupy. Overall i have found parks always to be plentiful and easy to acess. You have acess to pontoons on the canal, which i often visit and throw a fishing line in. There is plenty of table and chairs, plus a couple barbecue's free to use. If you wish to have people over for a meeting or drinks, i believe there are a couple rooms you can book out through reception. As the building is positioned on the corner of the canal, it has some beautiful views over looking the water and capturing the bright lights from Broadbeach & Surfers Paradise. Directly behind the conventional centre/5 mins walk to Jupiters Casino and Broadbeach. Only a short 5minute stroll to the rustle & bustle, if you can drag yourself away from Freshwater Points relaxed atmosphere. I noticed a few unpleasent coments on the staff.. As for the scary rude security guy, he has a job to do and unfortunately gets to deal with the occasional drunk/loud person who has no respect for the house rules or other people staying on the premises. I'm lauging as i write that, as the security guy..is one of the nicest i have ever met & does try make everyones stay as pleasant as possible. And the reception girls...not mentioning any names.. :) I have never had a problem with them, if anything..they have always been more than helpful to us, and even before they knew i was a resident. Well i hope this has answered any questions you had about this place. As you can probably tell. We love it here. Management organises regular trivia nights which has become very popular with amazing prizes, and happy hour & nibblies often as well. With a mixture of retirees, young and middle aged couples/singles. Stay one night here & you will regret it... as you will wish you booked more.. Ahoj :-)

Room Tip: My choice is the Highest floor on NW side.. less noise & better view.. :-)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review on Freshwater Point Resort.

How lucky you are to be a permanent resident in this lovely Broadbeach property, no doubt you are the envy of many as you indeed living the dream!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your views and knowledge of the property which may assist with future guests deciding whether or not to stay at Freshwater Point. As you have said, Freshwater has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and is very close to both the shopping and dining district of Broadbeach as well as Jupiters Casino.

We are glad to hear you enjoy the regular trivia nights held in the café and will certainly pass your comments on to the organisers.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while at the Gold Coast for work. I booked a bedroom apartment for $103 a night which is pretty good value compared to the other places I stayed at for work in the Gold Coast.

The Ups.
The best thing about this place I can say is the amount of space there is in the apartment. There was copious amounts of dead space that I didn't need but it was great to have, and at a great price.
The bath was comfortable, not a tiny little hotel style bath, the bed was two doubles put together and had eight pillows on them.
I had a balcony overlooking the pool, gym, river and Gold Coast city scape.
There were two sofas and one sofa bed, so there was plenty of room for more than a single person stay.
There was a full sized fridge with an ice tray with complimentary milk, instant coffee and tea.
It was in a great location, behind the Convention Centre and close to a shopping centre.
There was a washer and dryer which was very handy.

The Downs.
[I should point out that I'm still only in my early 20's and travel quite a bit for work, I still look fairly young so this may have a contributing factor to my experience with checking in]
When I arrived I didn't know where to park my car for check in, as the car park doors were open I just went inside quickly found a park out of the way incase it was reserved and headed up to reception to check in. As I arrived at reception the staff member at the desk saw me approaching with my bags and check in confirmation in hand, she then proceeded into a room behind the desk to have a conversation. I waited for her return, not long, but long enough to get on your nerves, when she finished she came out and said to me "yes?" All the other places I have stayed for work have been pleasant enough to say welcome to XYZ, how may I help you and what not. I told her I had a reservation and the reply was "Name?" I told her my name and she gave me a form and was told "Fill this out". I was also asked fairly bluntly "Where did you come in from?" I explained that I just parked in the car park below, she then mumbled to herself.

Fair enough everyone has their bad days so I didn't make much of it at the time, I was given my key and that was the last interaction I had with her.

The kitchenette had all the necessary equipment, although quite a few pieces of cutlery was dirty and stained, I had to carefully inspect and wash before using.
The carpark is pretty tricky, a lot of the spaces were reserved for permanent residents I'm assuming, and it's quite a tight squeeze through some parts.
They had some sort of trivia night on in the reception area on my second night so I had to squeeze past all the tables full of people dressed to impress to get to the pool and gym.
There was no free WiFi or internet access that I could find, but that's fairly standard with alot of hotels.
There was no extra locks or deadbolt on the entrance door. Although you need to swipe your RFID tag to get to the correct floor, the door only has 1 lock on it. The sliding door to the bathroom and bedroom had a flimsy little lock which can be unlocked from the lounge room with even an ordinary butter knife from the kitchenette. It was a bit unsettling when you have several thousand dollars worth of tech gear in the apartment which I carried to and from work.

I would definitely recommend this property and stay again despite the minor negative things.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael C

Thank you for your detailed account of your recent stay with us, we certainly appreciate the time and effort you have put in to provide us with specific feedback on your experience.

We have passed on your comments regarding our front of house staff and the reception you received upon your arrival. Your example is not one of how we like to greet and welcome our guests to Freshwater and we sincerely apologise for this. We also note your comments regarding the facilities within the apartment and have passed these on to the necessary contacts for consideration.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your spacious apartment and the views over the Gold Coast skyline and we are happy that the amenities within the apartment made your stay comfortable.

We are extremely pleased to hear that you would stay with us again and recommend Freshwater Point Resort and look forward to welcoming you back to our property again soon.