“Get what you pay for!! Small studio,mouldy bathroom!!”

Broadbeach Savannah Resort
South east Queensland
“Get what you pay for!! Small studio,mouldy bathroom!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Got a special on Wotif for this so called resort. Paid in advance so had to put up with it. The studio spa rooms are quite small,but equiped with a small kitchen with full oven,microwave,2 burner stove top,and small fridge/freezer. No room for a dining table so a strange breakfast bar is set up with 2 bar stools. The bedroom is small with a king zip bed which dominates the room,and was old & very uncomfortable,had been fitted with a foam egg grate mattress topper to try to hide the joining zip,but we still fell into the middle of the soft very well used bed. The bathroom has a very low ceiling,and the air extractor vent did not appear to work.
The toilet holder fell off the wall on the first morning. The shower over the bath is very suitable for an agile midget. The single spa bath is very narrow,and makes showering for anyone over 5 feet 9 inches a real challenge. The tiles had mould in a lot of the grouting,as well as did the ceiling,the grouting round the bath surround made you feel sick, it was so abundant,and so black. Even on a Wotif special I would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chopper0205

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I have just flown back home and logged on to write this, my first review on tripadvisor, because I think people need to know what this place is really like. And it's not good.

I don't know where some of the pictures on their website came from - I suspect from photos taken some years ago, because the dining area does not look half as flash now as on their website.

I booked my stay via a mystery deal on wotif. I paid AUS$135 a night for five nights for 2 apartments for me and my partner and his son and daughter in law. What a disappointment, this has totally dented my faith in wotif!

Bathroom grubby, toilet needed a good clean.
Mould on grout in bathroom,
Fittings (hairdryer, clothes dryer) removed but the zinc holders on the wall left behind.
Louvre door to shared washing machine broken.

The whole place was just run down. OUr deal included a free breakfast, but one of us was challenged about this 3 days into the stay. Breakfast was strange, some times the bacon was hot, sometimes it was the eggs - I don't think there was one day when everything worked, The coffee for breakfast was a hot water urn, with a basket of grubby cheap coffee sachets - the same pieces of fruit were brought out every day, getting older and older.

I was unhappy when we checked in, but I had paid upfront, so we were stuck there..
But the worse bit was the penultimate afternoon of the stay - my partner went out, I stayed back to read a book and have a few zzs. I heard a knock at the door and got up thinking partner has left keys behind, to be confronted by a total stranger at door, who claims to be housekeeping. This is a non-serviced apartment, it's 4.25 in the afternoon...

The next nmorning I decided to report this to the Savannah staff and the women behind the counter were lovely - the manager or owner however did not want to know. I offered to look at their security cameras to see if I could see the chap who had come to the door, but the manager/owner did not want to know. I lodged my own police report.

So - the Savannah? Some lovely staff there, and if you can get a cheap deal to stay there, it might not be too bad, but I feel totally ripped off AND mortified, because I was the person who did the booking for our group.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank S F

Travelers are raving about these Broadbeach hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Savannah for 4 nights and found it as enjoyable as it was the first time we stayed last year. We had the family room ($189per night) because we wanted something a bit bigger then a studio. The breakfast was about what we got at other hotels in the past so no suprises there. Only thing was it was cheap. We paid $20 through a wotif deal and that suited us fine. The room itself was comfortable and had everything we needed for our stay. This time around we found that the restaurant downstairs also opened for dinner so we decided to just eat there two nights and went out for the rest. The food was really good and the price was very reasonable. The facilities are basic 4 star. We only used the pool and my wife used the sauna a couple of times. We had a corner spa in our room however we didn't use it. The bathroom was clean and our bed was comfortable. Service was good and staff went out of their way to book tours for us and direct us to some restaurants. They gave us a late checkout no charge. Will definitely stay again and happy to recommend.

Room Tip: Try and book the family rooms if u want a bit more space otherwise the studios are ok for 2 people.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steven M
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel is in a central location just across the road from Pacific Fair and Jupiters Casino. Also walking distance to main eateries and beach.

The rooms are small but well appointed. The bathrooms could do with some upgrading with mould starting to form around the bath. The rooms are not serviced for a stay less than 7 days and costs $15 if a service is requested. The pool area is nice and a good size.

All in all still good value with full cooking facilities. Would consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Youngone51
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Booked this hotel back in November for a 1 night stay (10 March) as we went to Draculas for my 30th, only reason booked was Casino was fully booked due to a convention and we wanted to be walking distance.

Paid $230 for an 'executive fully refurbed ocean view room incl breakfast'. Booked for 4 adults and as the room apparently caters for 5 adults, made the assumption that it was a 2 bedroom, given the high rate and the occupancy. When we walked in the room we realised we were in some sort of Indian student accommodation, where the dining room was converted to a bedroom, there was luckily 1 bedroom or we would have been in some sort of swingers room. 1 bathroom, 1 shower, zero bath. Teeny weeny room. I didn't want to get upset as we were there for my 30th. After a while I was so peeved off I went to reception to complain, and was told too bad!! I explained that I must have the wrong room because where the hell was the 5th person suppose to sleep? There was no fold out sofa or the likes. So off I marched, had a few drinks and let it go.

So the following morning we arrive down at breakfast to be told that our breakfast is not included. I said 'yeah it is' and the rude indian woman proceeded over to reception and came back to tell me I was wrong! So I said to our party, I know it is, so we will eat and I will sort it out. I found my wotif email and yes it clearly stated it was included so I went to reception where I did NOT receive an apology, just 'I wish people would do their job properly'. I then returned to our room for a rest, to have reception call me to ask when we were vacating the room, even though I had requested late checkout!

Total nightmare, total rip off, and i deliberately made a tripadvisor account to ensure that this hotel is stopped! Really peeved to see other reviews that people were paying $79 and I forked out $230 - SUPER UNHAPPY! lucky I have
A great husband who is taking me to QT in a fortnight to have a night away to make up for this horrible experience.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Hotelle11
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We booked a small apartment through a Wotif deal and on arrivial asked for a quite room and was given a family room on level nine.The room was better then what we expected well furnished air conditioning,bed,lounge and patio furniture all in good condition.We had no complaints about our unit. The amenties pool,gym sauna,outdoor spas,childrens play area were all o.k. Location handy to anything we wanted all within easy walking distance we did not have to use our car at all.The breakfast was alright and satified our needs. As the unit was self contained we had some meals in an other times ate out. With regards to smells, the pipes had
slight smell and the smells in the passage ways was coming from the rubbish chutes located beside the elevators. Maybe management could look at some way to fix this problem.
If you had to pay full price for a stay you may be wanting more for your money but for the deal we had we would return again if a similar deal was offered.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter on Surf Pde.end of building Level 8 up are better for views and noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I wrote a letter of complaint about our stay to the Manager, and did not even receive a response. Here is the letter which outlines all the issues, the worst being a smoke alarm that went off continually during the night! $160 down the toilet!

"This is a complaint. Please forward to management. We stayed at your establishment on Friday night 2nd March. Our family was really looking forward to a rest, and a night away, and we were badly disappointed. We had several unpleasant experiences. I have listed them in time order.

Friday afternoon - whilst swimming in the pool with my children, I found a cigarette butt floating past me.

Friday evening - we have 2 children, and despite advising the hotel, we only had 2 bath towels in the room for the whole family. A minor issue, but still frustrating.

Friday night - on going to bed, my husband and I found our windowless, airless room to be stiflingly hot. We couldn't turn the air conditioner up higher as it would have meant our children who were sleeping in the main room, would have been freezing. I finally got to sleep near midnight.

Early Saturday morning - we were woken at 1.30am by the smoke alarm beeping sporadically!!! This went on for quite some time, until eventually it went off "properly" then seemed to stop after a while. This was upsetting for us and the children and extremely annoying. Needless to say, it was a terrible, awful night's sleep.

In the morning, we found a HUGE puddle of water under the air conditioner.

We couldn't use the breakfast bar in the room without re-arranging the lounge room! The bathroom was disgusting. Very smelly and the grout was awful and mouldy. The spa smelled like a sewer

We advised the attendant at the front desk about some of these issues with no apology or interest.

We have returned home exhausted. We have stayed in many hotels and apartments on the Gold Coast and Brisbane and this was by far the worse experience we have ever had.

I hope to hear from you soon advising as to how you can correct this situation and compensate us for what was clearly NOT value for money and a most unpleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family