“Excellent stay”

Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Broadbeach
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was our first time staying in this hotel and we had a fantastic time. Lovely staff, wonderful service, lovely hotel.
We were greeted very pleasantly by a gentlemen on reception and when I queried what time check-out was the following day, he advised it was 11am but he was happy to extend check out to 12noon. He also advised that he had placed us in a corner room on the 20th floor which gave a little extra space. Excellent start! :)
Our room was lovely and clean with a fantastic ocean view.
About one hour into our arrival we received a knock on the door with a complimentary bottle of champagne and a welcome note. Fantastic!!
After our night out, we came back to the hotel for a relaxing spa which was a fabulous, peaceful and relaxing end to the night. The bed and pillows were really comfy too.
The only downfall would have to be the wait in line for breakfast on the 4th floor the next morning. Otherwise the food was good - in particular the chefs omelette of the day :)
We paid $250 for one night, king room with an ocean view and breakfast included for both of us. Great value for money I think.
We also paid an extra $15 for carparking for one night which I was happy with.
Overall I rate the hotel as being excellent and would definitely recommend to all.

• Stayed: February 2014
sofitelgcb, General Manager at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Bonjour Curbet01,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review from your recent stay at the hotel.
I bet you would have had a wonderful view of the ocean from the 20th floor! I am pleased to see our staff were welcoming and friendly throughout your stay.
We have a great variety of food on our breakfast buffet and I am glad that you particularly enjoyed our omelette station, it is a great treat to be able to pick out your favourite ingredients and watch as the chef freshly cooks your individually prepared omelette.

Thank you again and we hope to see you for another visit soon

Amery Burleigh

Write a ReviewReviews (2,787)

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I visited over the weekend and booked out the luxury room for my fiancé and myself. When I arrived I realised I may have paid to much. The room was nice however it just wasn't anything special for the price. Nothing ruined my time but nothing made it an outstanding stay. The parking was a pain having to get a new card each time you go out from reception. However I must go against other reviews with the service I found the service the only 5 star part of my stay. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful not to mention respectful. I was always spoken to by my last name even when I was half the age of some of the staff this included the cleaning staff. Overall I liked my stay but I will look for other places in the future for some wow factor.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
sofitelgcb, General Manager at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Bonjour Bassguitarlover,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
I will share your nice comments about our staff who will no doubt enjoy the feedback, fortunately we are well known for our high levels of friendly personalised service at the hotel.
Apologies that we did not offer you a multi entry carpark card upon your check in as this would have clearly made coming and going from the hotel much more convenient.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed for 6 nights (Sat 1 Feb - Thu 6 Feb 2014). My stay there could have been a more pleasant one if it were not for the following:

1) My room was not made up on a couple of occasions. I had reported to the counter a couple of times as well & no reply had been given.

2) The general discrimination against asians remains. It is evident from the way they talk to you, the way they look at you, the intentional avoidance when service staff would rather attend to other guests first etc.

3) Service staff generally do not smile & could be trained to communicate more effectively.

Room Tip: The classic river view at the 22nd floor is good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank alexterlim

Bonjour alexterlim,

Thank you for your feedback.
To be honest I was quite surprised with your comments regarding 'racism' towards Asians. We were one of the first Accor hotels to achieve our Chinese Service Accreditation and as you may have noticed around the hotel, we were in full swing of proudly celebrating Chinese New Year. We spend a lot of time embracing, servicing and trying to delight our Asian visitors, so I am not quite sure what looks or how the team were communicating with you to give you such a different impression.
Please accept my sincere apologies as this most certainly was not our intention.

Thank you again.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was the first time I had stayed in a Sofitel Hotel. I have a close friend who swears by them. So I changed my usual hotel for the Broadbeach Sofitel. The location is good right in the middle of everything. The rooms are standard 5 star style anywhere in Australia. However, the bed was quite soft and lumpy. I had to keep changing spots to get comfortable. The facilities are reasonable. But the staff or management were unorganized or poorly trained, maybe understaffed??? I had the mini bar attendant come to check the mini bar less than an hour after my arrival at 3pm for the previous guest. The next afternoon I went to the pool deck and asked a waiter if I could get a drink and was told.... "no sorry". I got back to my room around 4:15pm and had just settled into doing some work when the mini bar attendant was at the door again. Then shortly after that housemaid arrived to clean the room at nearly 5pm. So closed up my work and went for out for another walk.
The last complaint was the TV - the sound had to be turned up to the max to hear a whisper on some channels and then blaring on others.
I did not bother to say anything on check out [whats the point] knowing I would be sent a survey. To their credit someone did call me to follow up and apologize.
I was looking forward to a relaxing couple of days in Broadbeach....but it did not happen. In future I will go back to my usual hotel on the Gold Coast the Sheraton Main Beach.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Bonjour Catherine D,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback. My Front Office Manager, Alex, did speak to me about your feedback and, my goodness, we most certainly could have provided better service.
Because your feedback was quite surprising, we have looked into this in great depth to understand the lack of communication between teams.
I am happy to report that we have resolved the communication issue and I assure you all of the teams involved understand and send their apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We do hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future to showcase to you our normal high level of service.
Thank you again.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank JJC02

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I work on the Sunshine Coast and am up in QLD every couple of months. For once I thought it would be fun to fly my family up so we could enjoy a few days together in sunny QLD - After a 3 hour drive down from the Sunshine Coast we arrived at the Sofitel, drove up to the door - looked deserted.... waited..... waited.....got out of the car walked to the deserted bell station....waited...waited....walked back to the car and unloaded 150kg of suitcases....waited...waited....walked back inside, grabbed a luggage cart...loaded it, walked it back into the hotel pushing my own luggage (kind of irate by now in 100% humidity, 32'C tropical weather)....walked up to the check in desk and was a greeted with a "bonjour, how are you Sir?" - I mean really... how do you think I am after watching me do all of that? I then noticed this fine hotel is an A-Club member, so I proudly produced my card, "sorry sir, this hotel does not accept that card with the free membership, we only recognize the "paid version" of our own loyalty card, do you pay $30 per year or do you have the free version? " .... hmm ok....I guess I wont be earning any points here.....

So off to the room we go, nice and spacious but only partially reinstated, newish carpet, fresh beds and bedding, bathroom was the only real let down with green marble tiles with mouldy grout and grubby corners. Even though I always wear footwear in public showers - I judge a hotel as to whether I "feel" the need to wear thongs (flip flops) in the shower or not - this was definitely a "wear thongs" kind of bathroom. So far I'm still thinking the hotel is ok - perhaps a 7/10, Broadbeach is a great alternative to the more bogan/yobbo Surfers Paradise just up the road, there is affordable secure parking at the hotel, it is close to many shops yet not in the path of the thousands or crazy drunks walking the streets at night in this part of the world. The price while not cheap was reasonable for the area and type of accommodation.

Day 3 we pack up and leave, I call for a bell boy to assist getting the bags down to the car. I collect the car and park at the front of the hotel.....tick....tick.....tick - the bell boys have all disappeared again leaving my bags sitting in the lobby, I wait and wait and wait..... after about 3 minutes I concede to myself I will be pushing the luggage trolley out to the car myself AGAIN and loading the car myself ..... first impression of this hotel was lugging my own bags in the heat into the lobby - my last impression of the hotel was that of me lugging my own bags out the door and loading them up again in the car - in the heat. Hotels have 2 chances to impress me - on arrival and on departure, unfortunately the Sofitel Broadbeach left me unimpressed on both occasions.

No turn down service
No daily newspaper
Internet at $$ rates that will make morse code look appealing again
Timed LOCAL calls
A nice note in the closet telling you that if you steal hotel supplies your credit card will be slugged - ridiculous rates shown..... Although $8 per frilly coat hanger seemed reasonable - it was the only item I contemplated taking as it seemed good value in comparison to the mini bar prices.

And to cap it off - a credit card surcharge if you dare pay for your timed local calls by credit card...

Room Tip: The park across the road is home to 2,000,000 birds which like to sing at 4am - either have a high l...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank J101a

Bonjour J101a,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.
You are 100% correct, first and last impressions are always the ones that stay in mind and for this please accept my sincere apologies. Summer being the high season our smaller team is quite often assisting guests and not always able to greet every guest on the driveway. I am so sorry for the inconvenience this caused travelling with your family.

Our housekeeping team are well recognised for their attention to cleanliness in the rooms and you may not have realised but we use a black grout that better compliments the dark green marble, perhaps you thought this was mold?

We do offer turndown service depending on the type of room you have booked and we do have newspaper delivery available. I am sorry that we did not know you wished to have a newspaper delivered to your room.

We offer complimentary internet access in our library, but due to the high cost of providing the service we let guests select whether they need this service or not so as not to inflate the room rate for everyone.

Thank you again, we very much appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed here as extended family for my daughters university graduation. I booked a suite and a rom with 2 double beds so we could all relax in suite and be around my elderly father for a lot of the time without tiring him out. It was ideal for our family as lots of shops underneath for younger ones, great selection of places to eat which were all a very close walk for Dad with his walking stick.

All the staff were excellent and so kind. We all enjoyed our 3 day stay - youngest in group was 11 and eldest 85! Ideal for us all :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
sofitelgcb, General Manager at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Bonjour Michelle H,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review with us.
I am pleased you were all able to enjoy some quality family time together while attending your daughter's university graduation. Congratulations to her for that fantastic achievement!
It sounds like you all had a wonderful stay and I am glad that our location was ideal for your dad.

Thank you again and we hope to see you for another visit soon.

Amery Burleigh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
2 mi away
Peppers Soul
Peppers Soul
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach? Share your experiences!