“Great location but does not meet the standard”

Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Broadbeach
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The room was OK but some areas of the hotel such as corridors were dirty, stained carpets and dust rolls hanging off the ceilings. The gym is extremely small. But the location is great so I might stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013
sofitelgcb, General Manager at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Bonjour traveller_HT,

Thank you for your comments and I have shared them with our executive housekeeper with regards to the corridors as this is highly unusual. We agree that the location is the best on the Gold Coast, so I hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon and show you our normal high standards of cleanliness.

Thank you again.

Amery Burleigh

Write a ReviewReviews (2,787)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We needed last minute accommodation in Surfers Paradise, so chose a Mystery Deal with Wotif. I have used these deals before and know that they are good value at good hotels. We were not disappointed. A nice room on the 19th floor with great views, central location in Broad Beach and friendly staff. Would recommend.

Room Tip: I would imagine that all rooms are good rooms. The Wotif rooms are supposedly not the "best&quo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour jpd0403,

Thank you for your short and sweet review of your Wotif succes. We are glad you had a nice stay. Rest assured, we do not discriminate who books on what rates, the 19 th floor is a fantastic location in the hotel with great views regardless of which side of the hotel you are on. The hinterland side has beautiful sunsets to enjoy and the ocean view side has beautiful ocean and sunrise views to savor.

We often have some excellent offers through our website, so don't hesitate to look for specials if you enjoy a bargain.

We hope to see you back at the Sofitel Gold Coast soon!

Amery

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recall reading a book entitled Moments of Truth in the early 90s which focussed on the importance of winning and retaining customers through superior service standards. It also made a note of ensuring employees are empowered with the authority to make decisions that affect those objectives and take appropriate action to win customers over.

I think all of the staff in this Hotel should read the book authored by Jan Carlzon.

My first disappointment was with reservations. I was assured that by paying a non-refundable fee 2 weeks out I was guaranteed the best price. Shortly before my departure I recieve an email from Accor flagging offers of 40% discount. I raised this on checking in and nothing was offered in terms of placating my concern. I felt jibbed.

The housekeeping standards were ordinary and this was acknowledged by managing staff. Breakfasts were cold and one glass of "pineapple" juice appeared to be a thick pulp which enabled the straw to stand up in the galss. It was impossible to drink. Room service was incorrect and tardy taking over an hour and a quarter in one instance to rectify the delivery of a wrong order. I almost fell asleep before it arrived. I actually rang the front desk and offered to collect it myself if it was to difficult a task for room service. It was frustrating.

We were provided a complimentary bowl of fruit. It didn't tick the box in my view.

I left a full page of detailed feedback. Having taken the trouble to do so on check out I was told "thank you, we'll read it later."

I received a long winded call from the General Manager who left that message on my voice mail. Basically she told me that they were thankful for the feedback and would act on it. She hasn't made any further effort to contact me and ensure that I am satisfied - which I am not.

In my view if a Hotel (or any other service for that matter) is to call itself 5 star and charge an exorbitant fee then the pressure is on to justify both the rating and the higher prices for room and other services. The Sofitel failed to do this. I'm not sure that I'd bother staying with that establishment again. I expect value for money and a superior experience when selecting a Hotel in this price range.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Bonjour JMacW,

Thank you for continuing your conversation with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with my response to you. I have tried to call you again, but prefer not to leave numerous messages when you are not available.

I understand your frustration in booking a discounted non-refundable rate in advance and then there being an Accor sale with a perceived better offer. It is like any business in any industry, you have the choice to wait and only purchase items or services when they are on sale, or if you need a certain product or service at a guaranteed time, you look for the best value on offer. Just because there is a sale does not always guarantee there is a room available on that date at that rate. My team are perfectly empowered to make sensible decisions and have all of the resources and tools they need to make good decisions. They usually favor the guest because we highly value our guests and like to keep them coming back.

We do have instances where they make a sensible decision that the guest, like yourself, may not agree with at the time. The discounted rate was indeed not available over the dates of your stay because we were busy. The Gold Coast is a destination with very reasonable five star rates, so I am sorry your budget felt as if our rates were too high. There are a number of different accommodation options for a full range of budgets, and if you are an Advantage Plus member, you could also find good members rates at the Mercure Gold Coast.

We have a wondeful team of ambassadors that work hard to meet and exceed all of our guests high expectations. There are times that we are inundated with unexpected business and they all work as a team to deliver the best experience possible. I am sorry that your room service order was incorrect and that you did not appreciate their efforts to apologize.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you find a place on the Gold Coast that meets your expectations within your budget.

Regards,

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Comfy beds...great food and service...lovely hotel. Lovely 5 star experience and great venue for a conference.
The luxurious fittings and prompt room service and soundproof doors and windows ensured we had nothing at all to fault in our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013

Bonjour mitch07,

Thank you for you review as a conference guest at Sofitel Gold Coast. We agree that the hotel is the ideal venue for a conference on the Gold Coast. I am glad you enjoyed your room and especially our most comfy MyBed experience.

We understand that a conference can often be a long day of learning, communication and a little bit of fun, and that hotel facilities and service need to meet and exceed your every requirement. I am glad to hear we made your conference experience an enjoyable one.

Thank you again.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife and I shared our wedding night at the Sofitel and where treated exremely well. We where presented with a bottle of champagne and a room upgrade upon checkin which was wonderful. The in room food was outstanding, i've never has a better, fresher breakfast in a hotel before, well worth the money.

Thank you so much for a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour accretion23,

Thank you for choosing to spend your wedding night at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach and a big congratulations on your marriage! Breakfast in bed the morning after is such a wondeful and indulgent way to start your new lives together and I am glad you enjoyed the quality and freshness of our cuisine.

I hope we get to celebrate many anniversaries with you in the future!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Great staff always very enjoyable stay we have stayed many times before
we love Broadbeach.walking distance to everything.
Room was great lovely views of the ocean just love sitting on the balcony watching the world go by

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
sofitelgcb, General Manager at Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Bonjour tonysuecoco,

Thank you for your review of your recent repeat stay with us and I am thrilled to hear you had yet another wondeful stay with us here at Sofitel GoldCoast!

We hope to see you again over the Easter holidays.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We were highly impressed with this hotel, usually we stay at Mercure or Novotel having 2 young children, so to be able to book a family room at 'Sofitel' was surprising, and then to arrive and be greeted so warmly it made us feel very welcome. Breakfast in the morning was outstanding, great service and quailty food along with so much choice!
The hotel is so close to all that the Gold Coast has to offer, we never used the car as eveerthing is in walking distance. I will be back and would reccomend to anyone wanting a quality hotel close to shops/supermarkets and the main street.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tomanddons

Bonjour tomanddons,

Thank you for your wondeful review and we are glad you experienced our normal warm and friendly service. We love families at Sofitel Gold Coast and are happy you decided to try a Sofitel holiday.

We usually have some great specials around school holiday times, so don't forget to check out our website for the latest deals.

We hope to see you and the family back for Easter holidays!

Amery Burleigh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#5 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Sofitel Gold Coast Broadbeach? Share your experiences!