“Great Value for Money!”

San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We recently booked 4 nights at the San Mateo Broadbeach and we really enjoyed our stay. The apartment's location on the side of the building, with the wrap around balcony, was great for views of the ocean and also the city and hinterland region. Room size was perfect for a couple. Road noise and the noise from other visitors in the area is almost completely negated by the balcony doors and windows when closed. Overall, one of the best places I have stayed in on the Gold Coast within this price range. Would recommend, and will stay there again ourselves.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Theophilus T
SanMateoGC, Guest Relations Manager at San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2015

Thanks for the great feedback. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. We really hope to welcome you back to San Mateo again soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stay here every time we go to the Gold Coast. It is well maintained, apartments have everything you need. It is wonderfully located, close to major shopping centres, Casino and fabulous restaurants. Jan & Jim are wonderful and look after their guests. I would recommend staying here - we do every year.

Room Tip: I always request a room overlooking the pool because it also gives you beach views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Eddie V
SanMateoGC, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2015

Thank you for doing a review for San Mateo, we really appreciate your feedback and your time!
We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have just returned from 3 nights at the San Mateo Broadbeach.
We read reviews on more than this site before we booked & noted while most reviews were complimentary some people had a bad experience.
The building is attractive & well maintained on the exterior.
We heeded the tips & requested a high room with a view at the front or sunny side of the building.
Our unit was on the 4th floor (high?) on the sunny side.
On check in we got a long lecture about booking through an agency.
I suspect our punishment for this was giving us the grottiest unit in the building. Thank goodness our business in Australia kept us away so we only slept there. It was run down, very tired, not particularly clean, with chipped plates & glasses, & a mattress that was very old. The weather was unusually cold & wet, but the air conditioning blew cool air at us even set at 25 degrees, fortunately we found a heater.
We should have gone directly to the desk after walking into the unit, but we couldn't face another lecture, & we didn't have time. The desk was closed each time we passed it later.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Larrylass

Thank you for your feedback. Please note this apartment is no longer our holiday letting pool. Your review was the feedback we needed to let this apartment go and until the owner renovates the apartment it will not be let our to our holiday guests.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

A group of 12 of us stayed at the Beach House, San Mateo and had the best weekend. The house is amazing, very comfortable, with plenty to do. I have stayed on the GC for years, and have never had beach house accommodation. If you are planning on hosting a large group or event, this place is the bees knees. Jim and Jan, from Management were extremely nice, helpful and friendly. I can't wait to come back next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrisbaneRockt
SanMateoGC, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2015

Thanks for your great review! We really appreciate it! Unfortunately we don't have the Beach House in our holiday pool any longer, but it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay there and the time you spent here with San Mateo. :)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Managers, Jan and Jim make you feel welcome and are very helpfull with any requests. We found the apartents very cean and comfortable. We have stayed several times over the past 5 years and love being welcomed bacK.
We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Brian M

Thanks for your review! We love welcoming back our repeat guests, and when their stay is over with us, it is like saying good bye to family! :)
Thanks for taking the time, we really appreciate it, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have travelled extensively in the last few years and am not in the habit of writing bad reviews but this property really does deserve the 1 star rating.

Accommodation: The actual unit wasn't too bad but definitely nowhere near 4 star standard. I'd happily stay in such an apartment for a cheap beach holiday with the kids but it was a big disappointment when I was expecting / paying for a 4 stars. The window coverings were broken and rusty, the beds were uncomfortable, the dishwasher was broken and the whole thing was very dated. The pool was nice, however the only lighting was run by sensor which meant someone had to get out of the pool every five minutes to reactivate the light.

Given the above I would normally write a 3 star review. In this case the management were so appallingly rude and unhelpful I would give the property 0 stars if I could.

I booked the apartment through wotif at 2am the night before after our original accommodation fell through. A big requirement for us was Wifi as my brother works in IT and needed web access to log into work. Wifi was listed under "inclusions" which I took to mean it was, well, included. Apparently not. I showed them the booking confirmation which said it was included but they refused to accept it. I suggested as a gesture of goodwill I pay for one night and they give me one night free. Nope, no dice. I was also then given a rant about wotif, how they had property owners "over a barrel" and I should have booked with them directly. I explained I was always going to book through wotif and if it hadn't been with them it would have been another property. To this I was told I "obviously wasn't in business". I am actually and would never speak to a client that way. When I finally agreed to pay they wanted $20 cash. I only had a $50 note and they didn't have change so they suggested they "owe me $30". Um, nope. They finally agreed to let me pay the next day but when I went down to reception at 3.30pm it was closed. I used the after hours intercom and was informed they had left for the day. At 3.30pm.

Next issue: I had booked a rollaway bed for $50 per night but at the last minute it was decided my nephew wasn't going to be staying with us and so we no longer needed the bed. At first the were very insistent I hadn't paid for the bed but when I produced the booking notice they had to admit I had. I freely acknowledged as I had booked through a third party I would need to try and recover the money through them. Perfectly reasonable. I asked if they could write a note on something with their letterhead just to say the bed hadn't been provided so I could take it up with wotif. They refused quite rudely, why I'm still not sure.

At this point they suggested I should go and look after the kids as they wanted to have their dinner (!). The kids were with my brother being perfectly well looked after, thankyouverymuch.

OK, so I give up for the time being and leave reception, as I walk out the door I hear something which sounded suspiciously like "for %^$#@ sake". I popped my head back in to let the "lady" know I had heard her, no surprise that no apology was given.

Now, my favourite bit lol. When we got up to the room we decided to let the kids watch TV as we unpacked. Turn the TV on and it doesn't work. After a bit of messing around my brother managed to get the TV working but no Foxtel. I wasn't sure I could face the managers again so I sent my brother down to see if they could fix it.

Their first response was "I don't have time for this, I want to go and have a beer". When he insisted, they offered us a dvd. He said we hadn't paid for a DVD, we had paid for Foxtel. Then they suggested he read a book. TRUE STORY!!

I called wotif saying we now felt so uncomfortable at the property we wanted to move. Their representative listened to our concerns and called the managers but didn't get any better, or polite, response than we did. Having paid our $400 unfortunately we couldn't move elsewhere.

Needless to say we spent an uncomfortable 2 days trying not to run into the managers as we wanted to enjoy our holiday. Thankfully they were never at reception so we managed to not see them.

The one star is for the lift - far and away the quietest and fastest I have ever come across.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Georgiakk

We are extremely sorry that this was your experience at San Mateo. Since your review there has been a change of management, housekeepers, and maintenance staff. As you can see from 90% of our reviews most have rated us at least 4 star. This is not the experience that is now offered at San Mateo on Broadbeach. If you every want to give us another go, please contact us on +61 7 55 601 444

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012, having done quite a bit of research on where to stay on the Gold Coast. My friend and I were after a 1 or 2 bedroom unit and were very impressed with the friendliness of the owners, price and description of the facilities during our enquiries. It did not disappoint on our arrival! The unit was spacious, clean, with fantastic cooking facilities and cooking appliances, a significant number of TV channels including Austar, airconditioning, a very comfortable sofa bed, and with a great view of the ocean (breakfast on a spacious balcony overlooking the water was a real luxury). The pool and heated sauna was terrific. It was walking distance to the beach (only a few minutes away) and to the shops, including into Surfers Paradise. The owners, Jim and Jan, were very friendly, and provided helpful information on local attractions. Importantly, car parking was in an underground garage accessible with a security pass and it was free. This accommodation really is a bargain and I look forward to returning to San Mateo on Broadbeach again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelsOz82

Thanks for taking the time to do a review for us, we really appreciate it!
We are "over the moon" that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything easy to use, and easily accessible! We do our best to make sure our guests have all the information they require.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future at San Mateo on Broadbeach!