“Excellent apartments in a great location, close to beach and restaurants.”

San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Managers, Jan and Jim make you feel welcome and are very helpfull with any requests. We found the apartents very cean and comfortable. We have stayed several times over the past 5 years and love being welcomed bacK.
We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Brian M
SanMateoGC, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2015

Thanks for your review! We love welcoming back our repeat guests, and when their stay is over with us, it is like saying good bye to family! :)
Thanks for taking the time, we really appreciate it, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

There are newer reviews for San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have travelled extensively in the last few years and am not in the habit of writing bad reviews but this property really does deserve the 1 star rating.

Accommodation: The actual unit wasn't too bad but definitely nowhere near 4 star standard. I'd happily stay in such an apartment for a cheap beach holiday with the kids but it was a big disappointment when I was expecting / paying for a 4 stars. The window coverings were broken and rusty, the beds were uncomfortable, the dishwasher was broken and the whole thing was very dated. The pool was nice, however the only lighting was run by sensor which meant someone had to get out of the pool every five minutes to reactivate the light.

Given the above I would normally write a 3 star review. In this case the management were so appallingly rude and unhelpful I would give the property 0 stars if I could.

I booked the apartment through wotif at 2am the night before after our original accommodation fell through. A big requirement for us was Wifi as my brother works in IT and needed web access to log into work. Wifi was listed under "inclusions" which I took to mean it was, well, included. Apparently not. I showed them the booking confirmation which said it was included but they refused to accept it. I suggested as a gesture of goodwill I pay for one night and they give me one night free. Nope, no dice. I was also then given a rant about wotif, how they had property owners "over a barrel" and I should have booked with them directly. I explained I was always going to book through wotif and if it hadn't been with them it would have been another property. To this I was told I "obviously wasn't in business". I am actually and would never speak to a client that way. When I finally agreed to pay they wanted $20 cash. I only had a $50 note and they didn't have change so they suggested they "owe me $30". Um, nope. They finally agreed to let me pay the next day but when I went down to reception at 3.30pm it was closed. I used the after hours intercom and was informed they had left for the day. At 3.30pm.

Next issue: I had booked a rollaway bed for $50 per night but at the last minute it was decided my nephew wasn't going to be staying with us and so we no longer needed the bed. At first the were very insistent I hadn't paid for the bed but when I produced the booking notice they had to admit I had. I freely acknowledged as I had booked through a third party I would need to try and recover the money through them. Perfectly reasonable. I asked if they could write a note on something with their letterhead just to say the bed hadn't been provided so I could take it up with wotif. They refused quite rudely, why I'm still not sure.

At this point they suggested I should go and look after the kids as they wanted to have their dinner (!). The kids were with my brother being perfectly well looked after, thankyouverymuch.

OK, so I give up for the time being and leave reception, as I walk out the door I hear something which sounded suspiciously like "for %^$#@ sake". I popped my head back in to let the "lady" know I had heard her, no surprise that no apology was given.

Now, my favourite bit lol. When we got up to the room we decided to let the kids watch TV as we unpacked. Turn the TV on and it doesn't work. After a bit of messing around my brother managed to get the TV working but no Foxtel. I wasn't sure I could face the managers again so I sent my brother down to see if they could fix it.

Their first response was "I don't have time for this, I want to go and have a beer". When he insisted, they offered us a dvd. He said we hadn't paid for a DVD, we had paid for Foxtel. Then they suggested he read a book. TRUE STORY!!

I called wotif saying we now felt so uncomfortable at the property we wanted to move. Their representative listened to our concerns and called the managers but didn't get any better, or polite, response than we did. Having paid our $400 unfortunately we couldn't move elsewhere.

Needless to say we spent an uncomfortable 2 days trying not to run into the managers as we wanted to enjoy our holiday. Thankfully they were never at reception so we managed to not see them.

The one star is for the lift - far and away the quietest and fastest I have ever come across.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Georgiakk
SanMateoGC, Guest Relations Manager at San Mateo Apartments Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2015

We are extremely sorry that this was your experience at San Mateo. Since your review there has been a change of management, housekeepers, and maintenance staff. As you can see from 90% of our reviews most have rated us at least 4 star. This is not the experience that is now offered at San Mateo on Broadbeach. If you every want to give us another go, please contact us on +61 7 55 601 444

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here in October 2012, having done quite a bit of research on where to stay on the Gold Coast. My friend and I were after a 1 or 2 bedroom unit and were very impressed with the friendliness of the owners, price and description of the facilities during our enquiries. It did not disappoint on our arrival! The unit was spacious, clean, with fantastic cooking facilities and cooking appliances, a significant number of TV channels including Austar, airconditioning, a very comfortable sofa bed, and with a great view of the ocean (breakfast on a spacious balcony overlooking the water was a real luxury). The pool and heated sauna was terrific. It was walking distance to the beach (only a few minutes away) and to the shops, including into Surfers Paradise. The owners, Jim and Jan, were very friendly, and provided helpful information on local attractions. Importantly, car parking was in an underground garage accessible with a security pass and it was free. This accommodation really is a bargain and I look forward to returning to San Mateo on Broadbeach again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelsOz82

Thanks for taking the time to do a review for us, we really appreciate it!
We are "over the moon" that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything easy to use, and easily accessible! We do our best to make sure our guests have all the information they require.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future at San Mateo on Broadbeach!

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here recently. I found Jim and Janet were very welcoming and friendly and the pool, spa and BBQ area added to the experience. The rooms are clean, comfortable and have views. We went to the beach a number of times which is about a 2 minute walk and the apartments are located between Surfers and Oasis shopping centre, a perfect location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to do a review for us!
We are pleased to hear you had a great stay with us. It's nice to hear our guests are appreciating our excellent location and therefore making us easily accessible to most of what Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise has to offer.
We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days last week.
Spacious clean apartment, very affordable
quiet (so sick of the party animals that keep me awake!)
yes there are rules - but very fair and spelled out at the beginning.

Had to do a late check in and easy to follow instructions.

The only issue I had with the apartment was that the bedroom had a window over a common area which had a light on all night - and the blind on the window did a very poor job of blocking it out.

The bed will need a new mattress soon I would think too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet M

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us. We are pleased you were over all happy with your stay. We appreciate all feedback and will certainly take your comments on board. I understand a lot of the mattresses have since been replaced in the apartments.
We would love to see you again in the future at San Mateo on Broadbeach!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in one of the 2 storey penthouses which was extremely well set out with bathrooms upstairs and downstairs with a balcony on both levels (for the spectacular views of the WHALES). Our daughter used the heated pool and spa every day even though it was too cold for the ocean, this was a great bonus!! Fantastic location with an awesome eatery just on the corner, which was busy all the time, one block to the beach (50m), walking distance into the main shopping area and Jupiters Casino and Pacific Fair not too far away at all.

Jan was just perfect with all the help and advice you need on arrival and if you needed anything else just happy to assist, but definitely not in your face, as is sometimes the case in the smaller more intimate apartment blocks......Thanks Jan.

But the highlight for me personally was what delighted me out in the deep blue sea, something caught my eye from the kitchen, a large spray of water just beyond the buoys...... Intrigued I continued to watch and sure enough there was a pod of whales making the trip north. This continued for the remainder of our holiday (i became a little obsessed) and on the final morning I was rewarded with large splashdowns..... Keep your eyes peeled!!!!!!!

We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: maybe request a room on the north east side of the building in winter for longer sun on your balconi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Leonie G

Many thanks for leaving a great review! We really appreciate the effort!
It's great to hear you were pleased with your stay. We love it when our guests appreciate our excellent location. We certainly do our best to make sure all our guests have all the information they need or require during their stay with us! We are pleased you found everything so accessible, and the added bonus of whale watching to boot! :)
Fantastic!
We would love to have you to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here twice now once again loved it heaps wouldnt go anywhere else really close to bus stations which take you to the theme parks shopping centres etc awesome beach only 40 metres away jan and jim are the nicest people in the whole world they make your stay a very very comftable and warm welcome they are also very helpfull so dont look anywhere else the san mateo on broadbeach is the place to STAY

• Stayed: June 2012

Thanks for your great review! We really appreciate your feedback. Our repeat guests are like family to us, and we love treating them like so, and making sure they have everything they need/require to make their stay enjoyable!
We would love to welcome you back in the near future! :)