“Great place...but”

Mantra Sierra Grand
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Broadbeach
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We really enjoyed the holiday and found the apartment very comfortable and well maintained. It was well positioned in Broadbeach, though traffic was a real pain due to the massive roadworks all along the Gold Coast Hwy. We traveled out of season, so the apartment was well priced. Only real frustration was the lack of a vacuum or dustpan to tidy up during our stay...it was very clean on arrival, but rooms are only cleaned after 7 days, so can get quite messy during the stay. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Tim G

We appreciate your feedback from you recent stay.

Yes with the construction of the "Light Rail system" there are road works in and around Broadbeach. Once this system is completed it will only enhanace the area.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Mantra Sierra Grand

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Let me share my follow up email to this hotels management staff I sent. No further explanation needed. No response whatsoever following this. Disappointing.

From: Rachael Unicomb Sunday - 30 June, 2013 10:16 PM
To: sierragrand.fos@mantra.com.au
Subject: GUEST COMPLAINT
Dear Ari,

I wanted to follow up with you from our phone conversation last week, and let you know that I am overall disappointed with how things turned out. I would therefore ask that this email and contents get passed on to your general manager for follow up and review please, so if you could let me know when this happens, that would be great.

I did go down and have a chat with Leanne on Wednesday, as you suggested, and basically recapped my story to her. Leanne offered me her sincere apologies, and that was all.

Just to revise what actually happened during our stay with you:

My daughter and I stayed at Mantra Sierra Grand from 22nd to 28th of June 2013 in room 1309. I had a conference to present at during that time at the Exhibition Centre so was therefore there primarily for work, however, as disclosed to you, my husband had suddenly and unexpectedly passed away 8 weeks ago, so I had to bring along my 8 year old daughter with me, to cheer her up as well. My daughter has diabetes and is insulin controlled via injections. When we checked in, she also was suffering from a very bad chest infection.

When I rang and booked through reservations, one of my major concerns was that we would be arriving quite early after a 12 hour train trip (at 7am), therefore early check in was paramount to me because of my daughter's chronic health condition. She needs to be injected and also fed adequately at scheduled times. So I needed to choose accommodation that would suit these needs. I was assured by reservation staff that an early check in (i.e. 7am) would be okay, as the hotel was not at full capacity and it would not be a problem. This is the main reason I chose to stay at the Mantra (though I certainly could have chosen from many others).

When we arrived at 7am, we waited for half an hour for reception to open. I presented myself to the front office staff at 7:30am and was rudely told that although my request was noted on my booking, it was not guaranteed, and therefore my room was not ready and there was nothing at all she could do to accommodate me. I was told to go out and have breakfast and I would be called when my room was ready. I did this, although we were both in our pj's because of our long overnight train trip.

We returned at 9:30am as my daughter needed medication and was feeling unwell. The receptionist again informed me our room was not ready and there was nothing she could do and we had to wait on the lounges in the foyer.

We were in our pyjamas, my daughter needed to be medicated and injected there, my daughter was coughing and unwell in the foyer area up until 12:45pm when we were told our room was finally ready. At no time did the receptionist offer us any assistance whatsoever. We were highly embarrassed and upset. By the time we got to our room and showered, changed, medicated again, the majority of our first day was wasted. We were unable to do anything at all in the short time we had left in the afternoon. We had planned to go to Movieworld, but that was unfortunately not to be due to this unfortunate incident.

When we got into our room, the floors were sticky, the bathroom had a constant smell of raw sewage and our air con did not work.

All in all, very disappointed and disgruntled. I would like to see some sort of compensation for the way we were treated.

I travel frequently for work, presenting conferences at national and international levels. I haven't stayed at a Mantra before, but must say would be reluctant to do so again.

I will be posting this information onto Womo and Trip Advisor in due course.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Kind regards

3  Thank Rachael U
leanne_ellams, Front Office Supervisor at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Rachel U

It is with great sadness I receive you letter of complaint as it was always my intention to have met you personally prior to departure. I am also a mother of young children and perfect understand your frustration when you were not granted an unlikely early check in due to lack of availability on Sunday early morning.

As we have discussed your letter personally , we are looking forward to welcoming you back with you new booking.

We hope this time around you are going to be able to prove the true Mantra Experience giving us the opportunity to show you how friendly, trusted, focussed, passionate and adventurous we really are.

Are Hawker

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I can't believe this motel claims to be 4.5 star when I was told I couldn't have my air conditioning on cool because someone else on the floor was heating. My wife and two kids had room 1105 which is east facing and got very hot, 8am in the morning on a July winter morning the room was 30 degrees with the door and windows open, and we couldn't turn the air conditioning on at all. We booked for 6 nights but left after 3 as it was very uncomfortable and our children wouldn't sleep at night because it was too hot and noisy from having the windows and door open. It seems a lot more people have had the same issue after reading other reviews.
Still confuses me how a motel of this size has a air conditioning system that won't work on cool if someone else on the same floor is heating.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kevin P

Dear Kevin P

Thank you for your review, I am aware that you have been contacted directly regardign this feedback.

We do look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

i arrived late about 10pm and was worried as there was no one around and the front door requires a security card to access. fortunately, a family returned and assisted me to the talkin machine and the lady on duty got me to my check-in keys.

the room was awesome spacious for myself alone. they have everything u need just like your home. the best was still the washing machine, dryer and the provided soap powder. the balcony is a bonus to chill watching the evening skyline, a pity that i didnt get the sea view - no compaints. housekeeping wise, you need to stay more than certain number of days before the housekeeping will be done.

facilities such as outdoor and indoor swimming pool, fitness center, bbq machines at the outdoor pool. there r 2 public computers and printers for use. location wise very central located, opposite to pacific shopping center and draculas cabaret. approx 6mins to the beach and 15mins to the jupitar casino. there are grocery stores and nice restaurants right beside the mantra - i tried e thai and indian and they are good!

there are many nice apartments at this area but i think mantra gave me a nice experience here at broadbeach. i would like to explore other mantra apartments from other places as well. service from the front desk are good and special thanks to mr. carlos during my short stay there. looking forward to more mantra experience in e future!

Room Tip: Request for sea view and high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear gecko_cheeko

Thank you for your reveiw.

We apprecaite your comments , it is always nice to hear that the team here at Mantra Sierra Grand , I am pleased that Carlso assisted you.

We hope you return to Mantra Sierra Grand in the near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Pros: Central to Broadbeach restaurants and beach. Across the road from Pacific Fair - a shopping centre. Nice 1 bedroom appt. The gym has hand weights which most hotel gyms don't have now. Room rates good.
Cons: If you are a light sleeper then I would look to go elsewhere. It sounds like a truck is dumping a heap of glass - this loud sound happens 3-4 times through the night.
Air conditioning - you need to phone up reception as they control the room temperature. I phoned them to put some heat on in the room, we had an uncomfortable night as they turned the temperature up to 28 degrees so make sure you tell them your desired temperature. The swimming pool is right on a busy corner street so doesn't feel a relaxing place to hang out with all the traffic noise.

What to think about: Our room (908)faced South so we didn't have morning or afternoon sun - that would be good I imagine in summer, though in winter I would recommend an East facing apartment.

Room Tip: Summer time - choose a cool South facing room. ie. (908) Winter opt for East facing. North facing r...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 00sunshine
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear 00sunshine

Thankyou for you feedback, we do appreciate it.

As you mentioned we are centrally located to the shops , cafes and restaurants. Which is a great bonus for our guests.
I will pass on the feedback with regards to the air conditoning - we do have a master control we can assist however each unit can control the temperature in each unit - i will have this looked into.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We are a family of 7 Adults 2 Child, book 2 units and had a fantastic stay from June 9 to 14, the overall feeling is Home away from Home. Everything seems so accessible at Sierra Grand. Would love to give our compliments to KIM at front desk for being so helpful. Will definitely recommend and come back to stay again. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear jtej2008

Thankyou for your feedback , it is always nice to hear the team here at Sierra Grand have been helpful.
It sounds like your enjoyed your time with us , we look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Sierra Grand.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've just had a week at the Sierra Grand with my husband and toddler in a two bedroom ocean facing apartment. We generally stay at the nearby Meriton but the price difference for the week was around $1000. I have to say that after reading some of the reviews I was nervous about what we'd find so I wanted to share our positive and relaxing stay.

The two bedroom ocean apartment is really spacious and with two bathrooms (bath in ensuite) would suit a family or two couples. The apartment was modern (as in the photo's on the Mantra website), clean and had everything we needed to cater for ourselves. We were very happy, definitely equivalent to the Meriton apartments. An indoor pool was an essential requirement for us and whilst smaller than the Meriton facilities was adequate (only comment is that the tiles surrounding the pool were very slippery).

My only negative feedback is that the porta cots need replacing with something more robust and comfortable. We were provided with a domestic style fold up cot which had absolutely no padding. I used pillows and a blanket under a sheet to make it a nice bed for our toddler but this wouldn't be a safe option for a younger infant. We've stayed other places that have had metal cots on wheels with a proper mattress ... these are a much better option.

As for other feedback about noise, Broadbeach is a busy place! The light rail construction is going on at the rear of the hotel so avoid this by going ocean facing. We were on the 21st floor and had no issues.

So yes, we'll definitely return to the Mantra. The apartment had everything we needed, was well maintained and furnished and had nice balcony (with table and chairs) and view to the ocean. Excellent value for money :)

Room Tip: Go ocean facing and higher up to avoid noise from the light rain construction :)

Dear Sarah Tasmania

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback with regards to the porta cot and tiles.
Yes I agree that that an indoor pool is great to have with a little toddler.
I happy to hear that you relaxed and enjoyed your stay.

Can I suggest joining ClubCUSoon - free to join and you receive special offers and benefits with Mantra Group.

We look foward to welcoming you back.
Leanne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Mantra Sierra Grand? Share your experiences!