“Great Location but lot of street noise”

Mantra Sierra Grand
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Broadbeach
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location but lot of street noise”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Have stayed here twice now and both times been allocated a fantastic room with great ocean views.
The only issue is the noise from the traffic, it is constant and we like to keep the doors open for fresh air at night but some nights just far to noisy.

The staff and amenities are brilliant.

Would definately stay again

Room Tip: Pick a High Floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BILLY2204
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Billy2204

Thank you for your comments, it is always great to hear great commetns about the team and facilities.
As you hvae stayed with us a couple of times have you joined Club C U soon. This is a program where Mantra guest will received discounts ect.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Leanne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

When coming to broad beach you have hundreds of places to choose from Font be fooled by the photos.

This place each room is privately owned so they will vary.

I came only for three days and booked a one bedroom. Upon checking I asked if the room was quite and I didn't care which view I got, ocean or hills. As it turned out it was midweek so not at all busy.

The room I got was very low floor on the pacific hwy side and it is really noisy. I was told to keep the doors shut and if the noise was really bad turn the aircon on.

Room 1110 was furnished with the cheapest stuff the owner could find and the bed was very uncomfortable. A very big dip on both sides of the bed.

For the price per night is just not worth it. Expensive for a 2 star place

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank travelin45
Dear Travelin45

Thank you for your Tripadvisor comments.

As all the units are privately owned , so not all units have the same furniture.
Yes all of our 1 bedroom units do face to the hinterland - which is the Gold Coast Highway side.
Can I suggest next time you visit Sierra Grand booking a two bedroom Ocean view unit , which all are up high and have spectacular views.

We look forward to welcoming you back inthe near future.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here one night with some girlfriends as we were seeing a concert at the casino that evening. I thought that it was totally over priced for the three bedroom apartment which was right on the noisy gold coast highway. Although the apartment was modernly furnished it lacked atmosphere. The traffic noise was insane. The toilet set was cracked right across. There were only 4 chairs at a 6 seater table and with 6 of us staying there we couldn't all sit around. One night was long enough. Happy to get home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear XBeau

We appreciate your feedback, it is dissapointing to hear that the room was not complete.
All feedback is used to improve on our standards and service.

I do hope you return to Sierra Grand and allow us to provide the stay you were expecting.
Neutral Bay, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is second Mantra I have stayed over the past 12 months and both have not delivered the advertised promise. I was staying with a group of friends so have had the opportunity to observe the room offerings of two single bed room apartments and one two bed room apartment. All three were in real need of 'TLC' and one in particular had furniture that should have been taken to the tip.The problem I see with the offering is you get 'pot luck' with the room alocation. Because the apartments are owned by an individual the Mantra relies upon that owner to keep the internal quality up to date and that is not good enough, the Mantra should be strict on quality standards. One of the apartments I stayed in was next to an 'in-resident owner' and there was a dog in that apartment; barking was regular. The staff are helpful and polite but the while apologies for lack of service and quality are welcome, ensuring the experience of staying is best remembered for all the right reasons; in this case they are not. At 4pm on arrival at our allocated room we found the staff had not cleaned the room nor had the bed been made. After lots of apologies by the front desk we were put into another room (two bed room) but were told that we could stay the night but would have to move out of that and into our 'first allocated room' the following day. Inconvenient to say the least. The whole experience is a result of poor initial choice on my part (my first bad experience with Mantra in Perth should have made wary of choosing Mantra again) lack of attention to detail by Mantra and overpromise of the offering.

Room Tip: Road noise is bad, South East corner rooms should be less impacted by road noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank JemoMJ
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear JemoMJ

I appreciate your feedback from you stay here at Mantra Sierra Grand, we take on board the commetns you have made, we take all both positive and constrauctvie to allow us to imporve our service.

We do hope you choose to stay again to allow us to give you the break you were looking for.
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Mantra Sierra Grand is a nice place to stay a short walk from beach, Pacific Fair shopping centre and main restaurant strip in Broadbeach.

Rooms are nice, but in need of a refresh in terms of coat of paint and new carpet - obviously hosted many a schoolie over the last few years.

It's completely self contained, so no room service, assistance with bags or even soap for the dishwasher or washing machine. However having a small baby, it was great having a fully equipped kitchen and laundry. The indoor heated pool was also great for swims with the little one.

I'd definitely recommend getting a beach view as Gold Coast Hwy is on the other side (or if you go Hwy side - and get sunset views - make sure your room is high up so view isn't of concrete and the dated Pacific Fair shopping centre).

Value for money made this a worthwhile stay.

Oh, and there's great coffee at the 'No Name Lane' cafe in the Peppers development a 2 min walk away.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear La-Da_Melbourne

Thank you for your Tripadvisor comments, I would have to agree the ocean view units have amazing views. As you mentioned our units are fully self contained which is ideal when travelling with a family.

One of the beneifts of Braodbaech is being is close vacinity to some lovely coffee shops and cafes.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sierra Grand in the near furture,
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had 3 night s last week in a 3 bedroom apartment at the Mantra Sierra Grande in Broadbeach and whilst the rooms were modern and clean I would definately not return or recommend this accomodation. The rooms were incredibly noisy with traffic noise keeping us all awake and waking us early in the morning- definately no double glazing. And the blinds ,or e- screens in the bedrooms were hopeless and we were woken by sunlight at 5.45 each morning. We took 4 children thinking in-house movies and DVD s would be good at night. We tried the in house movie service on night 2 and it didnt work. Our phone in the room wouldnt get us through to reception so after calling using my mobile, a service man told us the system was down and he would tell the manager the next morning. The next night, our last, we decided not to risk it so hired a movie to play on the DVD player. This didnt work. After 1 hour, and new DVD machine, a new Television! and still no success we were told to try the in house movie system but it was too late with children and an early check out.There was no apology or offer to reimburse for DVD hire. Since return i have had to call 4 times now as I realised I left 2 tops in the master bedroom wardrobe. My calls were not once returned and I have just been told they have not been discovered by house keeping after our checkout despite being 100% certain that they were left .I have travelled to many countries over the world over 30 years of travelling and have never had cause to write such a review as this. We are disappointed at having spent over $500 per night for substandard accomodation and service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank catherine H
leanne_ellams, Front Office Manager at Mantra Sierra Grand, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Catherine H

We do apprecaite for your feedback, this is a tool we use to improve our service to our guests.
I understand your frustrations when you travel with children and then the in house movies did not work.

I sincerley apolgise for the concerns you have raised.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I am writing to express my disappointment at our recent stay with you.

I had requested an apartment on a higher level due to reviews I had read stating it was "noisy" on lower levels. We did receive an apartment on the 13th floor (1307), a higher level, but it was so noisy that we all (2 adults and 3 children) had trouble sleeping due to the traffic noise. My husband and I discussed that the windows were obviously not double glazed….

The requested fold away bed was provided but missing several "slats" making this bed unbearable. I thought my children were complaining unnecessarily but when I tried to sleep on it couldn't, and I ended up placing the mattress on the floor for them to sleep on.

I was also unaware that the apartment was only to be "serviced" once during our 7 night stay. It was also only serviced once, when I mentioned to reception about this, after checking in , otherwise we would not have been "offered" this service. If you are going to provide a "once only" service for 7 nights or more, can I suggest this be mentioned on your website??? Also, providing extra dishwashing liquid/laundry liquid/soap/dishcloths etc. There was one packet of dish washing liquid and a scourer, not even a dish cloth provided. For a family of 5 this is insufficient.

The remote control on the television was not working and when I asked reception for 2 extra blankets I was told they were in the cupboards. I explained that they were in use and could I have another 2 for my children. I was told that the units are "privately" owned and if there are some coming back from the laundry I would get them. I never received extra blankets…….

For a 4 star "premium" resort I find the above not in line with the 4 star rating and thus were disappointed with our stay.

Another disappointment was that the above was emailed to the Mantra Sierra Grand on 27th September 2012 and to date I have had no response.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Funster71
Dear Kate7170

Thank you for your response , firstly allow me to apologise for the lack of response to your email. I am not sure where the email was received.

The issues you have raised have been passed onto the relevant team members to follow up.
i appreciate the frustrations on the seriving of the unit , we do list all of the terms and conditions on our Mantra website, however this has highlighted an area whereby we can better our communication to our guests.

Please contact reservations or myself directly if you wish to book at Sierra Grand again.