“Very Modern Large apartment, EXCELLENT rate from another agency!”

Mantra Sierra Grand
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Broadbeach
Sydney, Australia
“Very Modern Large apartment, EXCELLENT rate from another agency!”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed her for the end of our trip to the gold coast from sydney, we booked through an outside agency who has private apartments in the building and paid about 40% less compared to what the hotel and travel agent quoted us. We got to see the photos in advance of what the apartment was like (Yes I'm fussy), and we were very pleased upon arrival. We were personally met at the resort and show up to our room, it was VERY CLEAN and the furnishings were very modern, leather lounge, plasma TV's etc.

I dont think the building is that old because everything inside still looked brand new, we had a lovely view over the river and also a bit of the ocean, no noise complaints from me?? The apartment we stayed in on the 25th floor was fine, very happy with the service from the company that we booked with, they also gave us a discount because we booked 2 apartments during our stay.

The pool area etc were very nice, modern and you could walk to the heart of broadbeach and the beach within about 5 minutes. I liked the fact that we could see photos of the exact apartment we were booking and the view before we paid a deposit so I knew what I was getting before we arrive.

I'm sick of paying top price via hotels direct and then getting a level 2 apartment with a view of the highway when I arrive.. we dont holiday that often so this is an important factor for me! Will stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Ask to see the photos of the apartment before book
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank michelle7700

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed May 18, 2011

stayed for 7 nights in march 2010, we had a 2 bdrm apt as we stayed with friends, highly recommend these apartments to all, clean modern, fantastic location, great price, what more could you ask for. pool was great, gym looked fab but no we didnt get round to using it , the staff were very helpful. sierra grand is now our hotel of choice for any future goldcoast trips

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beamernz04
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Stayed here over the weekend to celebrate my birthday. Did not recieve any noise complaints from security, management or other guests. On check out in the morning I was advised that my credit card had been charged an extra nights stay.

They advised me that another guest on the same floor could not sleep as we were too noisy, and that they had to refund her room and that I had to pay for her nights accomidation. Tried to explain that we were not given any warning, and I would of rather been evicted than paying for someone elses room.

Lady at front counter was horrible, very bad customer service, very rude. Other guests staying in the hotel (we had 4 apartments including 1 penthouse rented out) also complained of this lady. When I told her that I will not be recommending this hotel to anybody she said "thats okay we dont need your business, and the penthouse isnt even rented out by us to makes no difference"

Also charged $200 for carpet cleaning fees when the carpet wasnt even that dirty. I dont know what they expect people to do walk around bare foot? all 4 apartments got charged $200 for carpet cleaning.

I stay on the Gold Coast on a monthly basis but never again here, I have been charged to pay for someone elses room. I have had warnings and been evicted but never been made to pay because somebody couldnt get sleep, even though we left the apartment at (11.30pm)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank tibormagyar
Brisbane
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Stayed here on a four day conference with wife and kids. Good size rooms but felt let down by the maintenance done on such a new building. Whilst the apartment was quite new looking you couldn't see through the windows because they hadn't been cleaned ever by the look of them and the balcony door to the bedroom could not be locked as it had corroded in the sea air. As we were with the conference we were on a low level making it easier to access the balcony. My biggest gripe however was no TV in the main bedroom which meant fighting with the kids to watch something while they were on the Playstation. I have stayed in many hotels over the years and have never come across this situation before. I feel that each apartment is owned individually and therefore furnishing is up to the owner perhaps? Although we notified the reception staff that the air-con wasn't working it wasn't fixed for two days. Location for Pacific Fair was good and traffic noise okay but needs better curtains to keep the sun out in the morning.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Mantra Sierra Grand for 8 nights over Easter, and to the most part we were extremely happy with our stay.

The apartment was a 2-bedroom plus study on the 15th floor and it certainly had the wow factor. It was spacious and modern and there were lovely views from every window. In fact depending on what window (or where on the balcony) you were standing, you could see views of the mountains in the North-West right around to South-East views of the ocean. There were also lot's of interesting buildings (such as Jupiters and Peppers) which when lit up at night, also provided an interesting view.

There was lot's of storage in the apartment and it was fantastic having a washer and dryer at our disposal. The bathrooms were also spacious and the bath in the main bathroom was huge.

The beds were on the firm side, which we liked. The modern lounge furniture is also quite firm, and perhaps a bit nicer to look at then sit on.

It was great having two pools. The outside one was quite busy during the day with most deck chairs occupied. However, it was very cold, so we preferred the inside, heated pool. I do agree with a previous reviewer though, that a few more seats around the inside pool would be good. When busy, there are few places to sit or put your clothes so they stay dry.

The hotel has 3 restaurants - an Indian, Thai and Japanese. We only got to try the Indian one for breakfast and that was nice. The hotel also has complimentary parking, which was always easy to find except on Easter Friday when we had to drive around for a bit before we found one.

From memory, wireless Internet cost about $15 for 2 hours or $25 for a day. We opted for the 2 hours as you could break it into smaller blocks and spread it out over your whole holiday. Perfect if you just need 10 minutes here and there to check emails. There were a reasonable number of television channels including one kids channel (nickelodean) and quite a good travel and leisure channel. Plus there were pay for view movies for about $17 each

We thought that overall the location was pretty good. Only about 5 mins walk to Pacific Fair or the beach, and about 10 minutes to the casino or the main shopping area of Broadbeach. It is located on a very busy intersection and even the 15th floor is noisy. However, I think it's one of those things that if you let it get to you, you'll hear traffic noise all day and night. But if you don't let it worry you, you won't even notice it after a while.

As I said before, the apartment was really nice and there were only a few things which I think let it down. One was the water pressure, which was awful, and the other was the air conditioning. In the information book they leave you, it warned that turning the air conditioning too low could cause the unit to freeze over and turning it to heating could cause you to shut down all other units on your floor. This seemed ridiculous. What's the point in having individual controls if you can't set them to a temperature that you find comfortable? In the end, we found their recommended temperature a bit too cold and ended up turning the whole unit off.

From memory, the apartments are only serviced once every 7 or 8 days. Yet in our 8 night stay, our apartment was serviced twice which was a pleasant surprise. However, my only other gripe was that you are instructed (through paperwork) to empty all bins and clean all dishes before you leave, or you might incur a cleaning charge. When my partner queried why I washing up our breakfast dishes before heading off early to the airport, I replied "Because apparently we have to". I get that they don't want lot's of soiled pots and pans etc left for the cleaners, but when you're a customer, who has paid quite a bit for their holiday, it does feel a bit annoying being told to clean up after yourself.

When I booked, the 2 bedroom + study apartments were on special. I was really happy with the price I paid, and would happily stay at the Sierra Grand again if I could get a similar deal. If I had to pay full price, I would probably shop around first and see what else was available for cheaper.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank OskarNZ
Brisbane
Reviewed April 26, 2011

A few friends and I stayed at this hotel recently for one night. I somehow managed to get a fantastic rate for a 3 bedroom apartment and honestly, the value was exceptional! The hotel is approximately 10mins walk from the centre of Broadbeach (shops/cafes) and Pacific Fair would only be a 10-15min walk as well.
The building is maybe 4 years old and the apartment (on the 14th floor) was amazingly large - the main bedroom (looking out over the ocean) had a large ensuite whilst the other 2 bedrooms (2 x twin; 1 x double) shared a compact bathroom. The kitchen was large and functional, along with a dining area, lounge area and a balcony.
The outdoor pool was a decent size, had the afternoon sun though maybe lacked a few sun lounges. I can imagine in peak summer periods, it maybe difficult to find a spare one! I did also spot a gym which seemed to have alot of equipment.
A negative which I experienced just recently, is that the hotel decided to with-hold part of my bond though never actually phoned to advise they were doing so. I discovered this one month later when I received my credit card statement and upon phoning the hotel, they advised it was for a supposed stain on the floor. We had not caused any damage to the apartment so it was disappointing to find that the hotel had not bothered to contact me in relation to this alleged damage. Upon further investigation, the hotel discovered that they had not been charged for any carpet cleaning and therefore could not explain why I had been charged. The amount is being refunded though I would just urge any travellers to thoroughly check your credit card statements once you have checked out of a hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 66princess
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Clean beds. Great location close to shops, Broad beach and 10 minutes from Surfers Paradise; Spacious rooms; Property very new and clean; Staff not very fast and professional but polite and helpful. Secure car park under the building. Have stayed in this property two times in last 12 months and very happy both times; Great value. Tried room in both 10th and 23rd floor and both had good ocean view. 5 Minutes walk from “Spring Fair” shopping village and Jupiter’s Casino. Rooms have very good washing machine and dryer. 6 adults and 1 child lived comfortably in a 2 bedroom apartment…

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room on 20th floor or higher...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FrequentTraveller666
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#6 of 21 in Broadbeach
Peppers Soul
Peppers Soul
#1 of 31 in Surfers Paradise

Been to Mantra Sierra Grand? Share your experiences!