“Fantastic!”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Always best to eat where the locals do, and in Haute Nendaz this appears to be the place. Its a bit out of the way, so no passing trade. Service and food fantastic. Prices low by Swiss standards. We are vegetarian, and the chef simply made us something after checking our likes and dislikes! In summary, very much agree with the positive comments from other reviewers.

1  Thank SteveCairns

Reviewed April 26, 2013

The best meal in Nendaz. There's no menu...so it might be an idea to ask for the price in advance....I didn't and that was half a week's budget blown but it was worth it. I'd rather have an awesome meal in great ambience than a bog standard pizza for half the price. You have to reserve and take pot luck on the night with whatever is local, seasonal and fresh. The food is beautifully prepared and even the vegetables are packed with flavour. The owner, chef, waiter is charming and attentive in between rushing off to cook your food. It has a wonderful ambience, the fur throws on the chairs are a nice touch. I encourage people to support this place as it's wonderful to see a chef owned restaurant. He is clearly passionate about food and it's streets ahead of anything else Nendaz has to offer.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

this is a super find in Nendaz, the food is spectacular, good atmosphere and reasonably priced. the "special" is served on what can only be described as a instrument of torture!
amazing evening, amazing food and really good service.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you happen to come to Haute-Nendaz I would highly recommand you to go to Le Vieux-Chalet. This place is unique and Alexandre is putting his hearth at work on a daily basis to make this experience a fantastic one. Food is great - röstis, potence, émincé de veau zurichoise, tarte tatin (everything is cooked "à la minute") and you will find a selection of very interesting wine. But you need to book in advance as this place is starting to be well known!

Enjoy !

Reviewed March 27, 2013

As is clear from the other reviews, this is a restaurant quite different from the norm. It is as close to personal service as I can imagine and hence it is imperative you book in advance. The chef/owner needs to know exactly how many guests he will be feeding each evening!
We arrived a few minutes early to find a man setting up a fire outdoors whose only purpose was to add to the ambience of the experience. He introduced himself as the owner of the restaurant and also the head chef. He arrived at the table with drinks and described our options for the evening and then we selected our choices. Though there is a menu on the wall, each nights specials are described in great detail with options for the sauce and other variables.
Following his return to the kitchen and an intermezzo, he returned with the freshly prepared meals. I have to say the portions were really large and both my 16 year old son and I were full after the first course and main course. We had to share the dessert!
The restaurant was quite quiet that night with only a few guests. On the one hand I think the owner wants to make each visit personal, but I think the quality of the food and the experience make this a place more should visit. Switzerland is often described as very expensive, and it certainly can be, but in terms of quantity and quality of the meal, I would not say this was excessive. We enjoyed our visit and can highly recommend it to others. The number of quality dining options in Nendaz is quite limited, and La Lanterne is a highlight of the town. We walked from the Haute village so we could enjoy wine with dinner and it took 15 min or so from the gondola.

1  Thank ChemProf9