“Outstanding 10-course taste-bud extravaganza”

Fischer's at Baslow Hall
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Baslow
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Outstanding 10-course taste-bud extravaganza”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a knock-out foodie treat to celebrate our son's 21st birthday last Saturday. We wanted to give him a meal and experience to remember. The staff and chef helped deliver that. The 10-course taster menu is good value for the cost.
It's a lovely venue. An old hall/house set in attractive gardens. The food, as you would expect from a Michelin chef, was fabulous - tasty and memorable. I think Masterchef would call it well crafted and technically skilled. We might add, visually stunning. Most importantly, it was yummy.
Predictably, courses are small. But they're intensely flavoured and rich. Of the 10 we enjoyed, there were only two I would have some small issues with but won't bore the reader.
The food is the star of the show. We stuck to the house white which was great value and very quaffable.
The only reason I haven't given 5 stars is the service. Seems a downside to many Michelin establishments. Very efficient but all a little too fussy and intrusive. The overall atmosphere was too reverential for our taste.
We would recommend others to try. Fabulous for a treat. Would I return? Probably not. But thank you Fisher's for a good memory to keep.

Visited March 2014

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Essential”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We went here to celebrate my Dad's birthday with some family and we all loved it. The food, drinks, setting and service are amazing (we went Saturday lunch & had the 5 course tasting menu). Having eaten in several Michelin stared restaurants in the past, my expectations were high but this place is the best I have been to by some way. As we were a large party we only ordered the house wine (£25 per bottle) and it was superb.

On our way there out taxi broke down; I rang to say we would be late & they sent a driver to come and get us rather than have us wait.

For those that feel intimidated by fine dining: DON'T! It is so relaxed. If you want a treat or to celebrate an occasion then look no further.

Derby, United Kingdom
“Superb from start to finish”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Took my wife for the taste of Britain lunch. It was her first visit and my first in about 8 years. It was good then and even better now, flawless in every respect.

Visited January 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent for Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Service = 9 Food = 9 Atmosphere = 9

Love this restaurant for its fantastic food. Sunday lunch is exceptional. Well worth a visit. We will be visiting again

• Visited January 2014
Coleorton
“Very good sunday lunch”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had Sunday lunch here with my wife, we had the three courses for £42 which for a Michelin star restaurant is pretty reasonable, the total bill including drinks and coffee came to £120. The service was on the whole very good, generally very friendly and helpful. I would tend to agree with a number of the other reviews which suggest the atmosphere in the bar area is a little lacking and in need of some redecoration. Minor points but there were one or two cobwebs in the windows and on the ceiling, not something you would expect from this type of venue. I also agree that some background music would help to make the bar area a little more relaxed.
The food itself was in parts exceptionally good, my wife and I both had the caramelised pork belly to start and this was really very good, I had the rib eye of beef as a main and my wife had the venison.
The beef was good but not the best I've had, but the accompanying potatoes and vegetables were exceptionally good. My wife said the venison was really tasty and very tender. For pudding I had the salted caramel tart which was delicious, my only criticism being that the portion was very small, and it could have done with at least double the amount of ice cream. My wife had the toasted marshmellow, passion fruit, peanut and pink grapefruit, which she said was good but a little bland and she also felt that the portion size was a little on the mean side. I had a couple of glasses of the house pinot noir with the meal which was very good indeed. We had coffee in the bar to finish which was served with a couple of chocolates which were ok and some almonds covered in raspberry bust which were exceptionally good.
To sum up; a very enjoyable Sunday lunch, with a couple of minor grumbles which could be addressed very easily and would make a significant difference.

• Visited February 2014