“Got married here ! Fantastic People, fantastic day !”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Baslow
Fischer's Baslow Hall
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baslow
Chesterfield
“Got married here ! Fantastic People, fantastic day !”
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Only booked our wedding 3 weeks in advance, was going to take the plunge in Vegas for some reason, but of course family ends up coming first and to avoid upset we decided on getting married in the UK, the 1st place we tried was Fischers and luckily they were free the weekend we wanted.
The day could not have been better, from start to finish, the food was excellent, we had only invited 30 people due to the short notice.
The menus you choose from come with Canapes to start, so after the ceremony we went outside onto the lawn, out came the pims and canapes, more came then more and on and on...
Everyone was loving it, plus it was such a sunny day, stood out side a beautiful house with fantastic gardens.
The overall meal was excellent, I thought the price was great too, including ceremony, meal, drinks etc. it cost me no more than £1500, of course I am going to say this but I thought it was much better food, service & surroundings etc. compared to weddings that I have been to that have cost 10 times more than I paid, so value for money it was unbelievable, we were made to feel special and its a day we won't forget !
If you want a small, intimate, special and top class wedding I would recommend booking here !

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank dannyjcarr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2007

The weather was changing and we felt like we needed a well deserved break. Through research we found Baslow Hall and it seemed like the ideal place. After booking I also came across a short feature on it in a magazine so it seemed like fate that we should go there.

The drive up to the hall is lovely and the leaves were turning russet. The view from the car window was lovely but as we stepped out we were met with rain and harsh winds. Lucky for us Susan Fischer opened the door and ushered us in. The door to the hall is really like a front door to someone's home albeit a very posh and expensive home. We were told check in wasn't until 3pm and it was now 1pm so I explained that I thought it might have been possible to dump bags and we had planned on going for a walk but the weather has made the fact that perhaps a drink at the bar may be preferable.

Susan was accommodating and led us to the public lounge. Unfortunately this was the only "public area". It's not like a hotel where there is a lobby or reception area. As I keep saying, it is like someone's home. So we settled into a sofa in the corner of the room feeling very under dressed in a our country casuals whilst others were perusing the menu in anticipation of lunch all glammed up in dresses and heels!

Susan very kindly bought us tea and some shortbread to warm us up and we were very appreciative yet still felt out of place and a little like we were bringing the tone of the place down. Unfortunately I had forgotten to turn my mobile off and as luck would have it, it rang! Cue a glare from Susan and a warning. I was extremely apologetic but felt like a naughty schoolgirl!

This feeling continued throughout our stay! Susan and her staff are extremely professional and courteous and I just felt that I had to be on my best behaviour and make sure I spoke in hushed tones and pronounced my vowels correctly lest I didn't fit in!

Don't get me wrong though - we still had a lovely time. I like to think that in spite of my casuals I can scrub up well when needed and playing at grown ups can be fun too! Our room was lovely and was in the main house. Bathroom a little plain and functional but robes and Molten Brown toiletries welcome. Bottled water available - always a nice touch.

Dinner was beautiful. When we ventured back into the lounge, I felt like I fitted in a lot better thanks to the little black dress and the time spent getting ready. We were seen to by an ever so polite gentleman - I think he must be maitre d'. He was extremely well spoken and learned. Provided us with our glasses of champagne and menus. We were served some delightful canapés - most memorable being a mini lamb burger and some home made hummus.

We opted for the a la carte menu. I had a starter of monk fish and we had a complimentary amuse bouche of pumpkin foam and parmesan ice cream. Flavours were superb but I think I may have preferred the ice cream to be warm and more soup like... Monkfish was tasty - a little tough perhaps slightly over done but then monkfish can be somewhat stringy. One thing the chefs get right here is flavouring. Everything is well seasoned and flavoursome. Dessert was a taster tray - carrot jelly was a little strange but tasting the different desserts was a lot of fun.

Service as already experienced - slick and professional. Not necessarily personable but definitely efficient. We had coffee and petit fours back in the lounge. Petit fours were certainly interesting and a talking point. Lollipops with cracking candy - not had that stuff since I was 8 although aware it's making a comeback thanks to Heston Blumenthal. That reduced to me school girl giggles until the maitre d' looked over and I sat up straight once more! The mint truffle was not like any other mint truffle I'd had. The mint in it was really fresh, like chewing on a fresh mint leaf. Uncouth this may be but I think I prefer a Matchmaker!

Stayed up late drinking port so missed breakfast. Check out was efficient and breakfast was taken at "Circles" where we had an excellent full English.

All in all we really enjoyed our night at Fischers. Being made to feel a little out of place reasserted the fact that my husband and I are just down to earth people who enjoy good food and that we're not born into the gentry so it was no bad thing. I'm proud of my roots! And feeling a little intimidated by Susan and her maitre d' gave us something to talk and laugh about. We have certainly talked of returning and would like to. Question is, would they welcome us back!?

• Liked — Cracking candy took me back to my youth!
  • Disliked — Could be more personable.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fondofgoodtravel
Ballywalter County Down Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Fischers is quire simply superb. After a long drive up from Harwich off the ferry from Denmark and with Bank Holiday traffic, it was just heaven to arrive at this oasis of tranquility.

Our room was in the new Garden Wing and was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The bathroom, with Moulton Brown goodies was as good as it gets.

A request for an iron and board and two cold beers saw all arrive in moments.

Dinner was a real experience from the moment we walked over to the main building for drinks before dinner. A superbly attentive & knowledgeable staff looked after us impeccably. Pre-dinner drinks and magnificent canapes arrived swiftly. The menus were explained in detail and with interest. The two dining rooms [we were in one the first evening and the other the second] were inviting and very comfortable.

The food was absolutely superb - a la carte the first evening and the tasting menu the second. An allergy suffered by one of our party to an ingredient was overcome by a subtle variation to the dish, executed without fuss.

The grounds and gardens are beautifully laid out and with kitchen gardens and greenhouses being used to the maximum to provide ultra fresh produce for the chefs to use.

Any complaints? Yes, it would have been lovely to have met Max & Susan Fischer to tell them what a wonderful pace they have. A request to meet Max was deflected by the response that he is very shy. What a ral shame....

Maybe next time? We shall surely return.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 15, 2007

We booked this hotel primarily for the Michelin rated food, and we were not disappointed . Although we went on a Sunday night the food standard was superb and the hotel itself beautiful. We stayed in the main building which is quite elaborate in decor with heavy curtains, lovely soft furnishings, wood panelling etc, but the only minor letdown was that the bathroom didn't seem to be as sumptuous as the rest of the hotel. However, we will definitely be returning!

• Liked — Oustanding food
  • Disliked — Bathroom - good but not brilliant (very noisy cistern!)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Kenilworth
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We booked a three night stay as a wedding anniversary break - after finding Baslow Hall on the internet. The added bonus was being so close to Chatsworth - which we had always wanted to visit.
Baslow Hall is an impressive venue and without doubt the emphasis is on the restaurant. I note that another reviewer has called it a 'restaurant with rooms' rather than a hotel.
We had a garden room which was fine (the gardens are very pretty). Mind you, at a room tariff of £180 per night - you really would expect it to be. A very friendly member of staff looked after our cases on arrival which was welcome after a tiring journey. Our first night meal was from the table d'hote menu and was absolutely wonderful.We did have a very disturbed and troubled night though after a leak upstairs meant that water was dripping through our bathroom ceiling (through the light fittings). After establishing that there was no Night Porter we decided to 'put up with it' until morning. The lady that brought our morning tea was most apologetic. We clearly couldn't use the bathroom ! (Sodden towels and water still coming through the light fittings...'erm the health and safety police would love this one). Luckily we could cross the path to an alternative room in our robes to shower! We were told by staff that the owners would want to see us and that we would be moved to another room. We were happy with our next room (after our belongings were transferred) and our excellent meal on the 2nd night which was at Fischer's own gastropub in Baslow village. Fischer's staff, when we saw them again told us that the owners 'would have a word' with us about our first night 'experience'. On our third and final night - we dined from the £65 a head menu. This was excellent (but actually we enjoyed the first evenings menu more)! but the service was quite slow and we had a very long wait for dessert and coffee.The owners sent us a glass of pre dinner champagne in respect of our lost sleep (we were told). In fact, we never did meet the owners. We enjoyed the food and the beautiful area. I would have thought though, for this calibre (and price) of establishment, that a personal word of apology (apart from a complimentary glass of champagne) would have gone down in a much more satisfactory and 'nicer' way!!

• Liked — Great food!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank KenilworthHyacinth
Sonning on Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2007

The proprietors (executive chef Max & Susan Fischer) position Fischer's Baslow Hall as "an award winning restaurant with bedrooms" . To my mind, this tends to devalue the latter - there are 10 of them. Ours was in one of the 5 'garden house' rooms and it was ACE. More contemporary than those in the Grade II listed manor house, it had the additional advantage of making our comings and goings exceptionally easy.

The kitchen carries a Michelin star and it is positively worthy of two.

That night, over pre-dinner drinks, the canapes, forming part of the £65.00 a la carte dinner menu, were a show-stopper: imaginative, exquisitively prepared and beautifully presented.

The ensuing 3 courses that we chose were outstanding: foie gras, caramelised mango, potato gallette, Sauternes reduction & jelly (me), cannelloni of new season asparagus, fricasse of morel, chervil & white wine veloute (wife) ... preceded pan-fried loin of New Forest wild venison, anna potatoes, roast parsnip & beetroot, port sauce (me) and slow braised Derbyshire pork cheek with pan-fried king prawns and champ (wife). In a word: sublime. Passion Fruit souffle, passion fruit sorbet reached dizzy heights. The 'going out' (coffee and petits fours, all part of the deal) were as outstanding as the 'coming in'. This is cooking and ingredients at their best ... service too. The wine list is well-balanced & sensibly priced. We'd certainly repeat our 168 mile, one-way drive, for this sort of experience.

Baslow Hall is in the hinterland of the magnificent Chatsworth Estate - one of the country's many other nearby stately homes. We are talking Peak District here - so much to see and do, including an abundance of scenic walks.

This was late March: as the season develops, this part of the country would be England at its best.

• Liked — Contemporary Garden House rooms forming part of a Grade II listed manor house
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barton-bonviveur
sheffield UK
Reviewed December 31, 2006

Having seen some of these mixed reviews we went with apprehension. Only too often the food that claims to be "cutting edge" turns out to be (bluntly ) the "Emperor`s clothes". Not here. Menus are Premium ( a tasting menu offering samples of different dishes ) and the standard a la carte at £60 and £65 respectively. We chose the Premium and were very impressed with the 6 canapes presented in the bar ( £8.30 for a gin & tonic plus half of lager also left an impression ). The whole premises are non-smoking which was a welcome relief and the small but pleasing dining room gave a relaxed setting for some sensational food. Other than the venison ( which we dislike anyway , subjective opinion ) the various dishes were exquisitely presented and showed intelligent and sensitive use of the high quality ingredients. The pacing was pretty good if slightly quick initially. The wine list is wide ranging enough to satisfy most tastes and we enjoyed a Katnook Cab Sauv at £29.50 plus a Katnook half of chardonnay which was rather drier than expected so didn`t compliment the dessert section very well; yes, we should have asked. Coffee and chocolates were taken into the bar and our complete experince lasted about 2 3/4 hours which was perfect. The large room in the main house was fine although tea & coffee facilities were oddly absent for this level of accommodation. Service at check in and out, the restaurant, seem fine but the morning paper ordered did not arrive.
Breakfast is either "bakery" which we opted for, or full English.
If you have dined the previos night most will find the bakery option to be more than adequate.
The setting of Fischers is quite close to the main road in Baslow but noise was not a problem for us. Overall, a very fine dining experience, albeit at top-end prices, with the bonus ( particularly in foul weather as can often be the case in this area ) of on site accommodation. If you have been to Hassop Hall or Swinton Park the food here is of at least 2 levels higher even if the initial visual impression has less "wow-factor".

• Liked — well proportioned room and great bathroom.
  • Disliked — No coffee/tea making facilities
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gibson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baslow
Cavendish Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
East Lodge Country House Hotel

Been to Fischer's Baslow Hall? Share your experiences!