“Reprieved by a good dessert”
Review of Cavendish Hotel

Cavendish Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Baslow
staffordshire
“Reprieved by a good dessert”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Should have guessed something was wrong when at 1pm, the conservatory for lunch was empty. Few staff, bottle of wine plonked on the table, screw top still in and told there you are!

Salad came without an offer of dressing and portion size very small. Poor lunch saved by great bread and butter dessert. No plans to revisit, pity, as my wedding reception was here.

2 Thank darcyStaffordshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Canberra
Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you would like to be pampered in wonderful accommodation with delicious food and superb service, this is the place for you. The hotel sits comfortably on the edge of the Chattsworth estate and you will step back in time with their attention to you and to the detailing of their establishment. A very helpful Moira at reception greeted us and gave us a quiet room with double fronted windows looking out over the lush landscape. Eric from management welcomed us and checked each day that we had everything we needed. The waiters were wonderful also and our gluten free needs were immediately met. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. It is very well equipped for all your needs with large rooms and lovely bathrooms. The lounge and eating areas are also delightful. Two nights was just not enough pampering!!! It has everything you would expect from a five star establishment.

Room Tip: I suspect they are all lovely but we had room 19.
2 Thank juliekd
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

This was bought as a birthday gift for my husband,and we couldn't be more happy . The cavendish hotel beat all our expectations ,from our arrival to the departure we were made to feel special, We had afternoon cream tea with a glass of champagne ,about 5pm (we arrived at 4 30) in the garden. Then Shown to our room which was lovely, the view very very nice, the room had every thing you need, plenty of tea ,coffee and hot chocolate ,the bed was real nice ,!we had a great nights sleep .the evening meal was lovely,nice wine as well. Breakfast is from 7 30 am to 12, excellent so much to choose,and to top it off the staff are wonderful,and so attentive ,we will book this the cavendish again .
Thank you to all who work at making us feel so good ,well done .

• Stayed June 2013
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My daughter and I spent one night at this charming hotel to maximize our "Chatsworth" experience. We travelled to Chesterfield on the train from London, and cabbed it from the train station to the hotel, which we chose because it was on the Chatsworth property and a reasonable walk from the hotel to the house. Our room (Valkyrie) was great, very pretty and the bathroom was awesome with a large soaking tub, heated floor and towel heater as well. Room included a beverage service with coffee/tea/hot chocolate and biscuits were a nice refreshment when we arrived. As Americans we did not feel very welcome by the staff, and so chose to eat at the neighboring Devonshire Arms hotel which had a tea room, pub and AWESOME comfort food (it was cold and rainy when we arrived and the pub was much cozier than the two restaurants at the hotel, not to mention much more reasonably priced). We loved the restaurant so much we went back for tea the next day after touring the house and grounds. Would definitely recommend a day at Chatsworth, it could be done as a day trip (up in the morning and back to London on latest train), but I'm glad we spent the night. The only negatives to report are that (1) the handle on my suitcase tore when the bellman yanked it (it was heavy), it would have been nice for him to offer to tape it or at least try to help in some way; and (2) we finished earlier than expected and I was hoping the concierge/receptionist could help me figure out if we could get on an earlier train with our existing reservation. She suggested I could ask when I arrived at the station and only after I asked twice did she agree to call the train station on my behalf (should have been her first response!). Lots of history in this place, worth the trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MerryBanker
South East
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I believe part of the problem with the reviews is that part of the facility has been remodeled and part has not. I discovered this while making email enquires before our trip to their very helpful front desk. I also looked at the on line photos of rooms for help. Though not large, the LUCY room we had was at the very end of the building and a corner room with lovely window look-outs on two sides. There is some room noise from above but part of a stay at an older building. The room was fresh, very clean and new all around. With a tacked on tip of 5% which they are very up-front about, we took full advantage of the staff for assistance. they even allowed us to use printer, phone for a long toll free call, carrying bags down long halls, ice,etc. which we frequently take care of ourselves. We have been to Chatsworth before and would rather take that price of the tickets off our room bill and not go but when we enquired they said it was not possible. So, we understood in advance in making our decision, which was good.So, we just took a brief visit to Chatsworth and frankly enjoyed it tho a second time. I enjoy walking right from our hotel door toward the Chatsworth property past sheep.Breakfast room very upscale with crisp linens and the foods very good also. No one there at 8:00AM on Saturday morning so we had it all to ourselves. In all I was not disappointed and tho pricey, it was a one time treat for us.

1 Thank planned
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our room (I think it was no. 8) was well decorated with a beautiful view over the Chatsworth estate. It was an inn room and £219 and for this price I would expect breakfast which as other reviewers have pointed out is not included. The bathroom was ok but fittings not really up to the amount paid. Both room and bathroom were clean and tea and coffee and fresh milk provided.

Had dinner in the garden restaurant and received a strange greeting from (I presume) the owner; he practically snatched the key out of my husband's hand saying that the keys fobs were very heavy and he would take our key lest we damaged the table.

Dinner was mixed, starters were lovely if on the small side and my dessert was delicious. The menu has quite a small selection and when I asked for something vegetarian I was told they would ask the chef. The waiter duly returned and suggested grilled vegetables with a poached egg which I said sounded fine. When it arrived it was far too small for a main literally 7 pieces of veg and a poached egg. The accompanying garlic chives had also been cooked in the same pan as salmon from their taste. I later discovered I had been charged £16 for this! The whole meal (including a large service charge) came to more than £100 and was overpriced. I should have complained re: the price of my meal but was embarrassed to do so which is entirely my fault.

We were younger than many of the other guests and did feel a bit out of place. The location is great and if the prices were more reasonable (or the quality improved) this could be a lovely place. I can see why the reviews are split between great and awful. It has potential but for the same price I think you could have a better experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SQL_13
woburn
Reviewed June 5, 2013

With the desire to visit Chatsworth House and a two night getaway I discovered this beautiful hotel via the Chatsworth website. I rang to make my reservation and was helped by a polite women who answered all my question and even provided me with a local taxi number to get me here from the train station. When I arrived a few days ago I was politely welcomed by the staff and checked in. I opted to have dinner in the more casual and relaxed garden room as I arrived late and found the menu to be a nice mix of different dishes and a well chosen wine list to match!! The staff were all attentive and friendly. I found my room to be very nicely made up and very clean to the standards of what I can see this hotel prides itself on. At breakfast on my second day the hotel manager introduced himself and enquired after my stay, I appreciated that he took the time to ask me and other I guest I could see. I could not rate this hotel higher enough and consider it well worth a stay as Chatsworth House is a nice 20min walk from the hotel thru the estate with some stunning views!!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1 very nice and comfortable!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank patrick_warner22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baslow
Bagshaw Hall
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hathersage
Losehill House Hotel & Spa

Been to Cavendish Hotel? Share your experiences!