“Lovely Meal”

The Devonshire Arms
Ranked #8 of 16 Restaurants in Baslow
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Devonshire Arms, Inn and Kitchen offers good honest food, great ales and wines, 12 en suite rooms and warm hospitality for anyone seeking escape, exploration, socialising, relaxation or refuelling.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stopped in here for Sunday lunch before heading into the peaks. The service was very attentive, and the food of an excellent standard. A fair few choices were available for my vegetarian friend, and I would highly recommend their bakewell pudding desert.
The only mildly negative points were that the car park was full, had to wait to find a space, and our main course took quite a while to be served.
Overall I would recommend this place highly, lovely atmosphere, wide drinks selection, great food and friendly service. I will be returning if I'm in the area again.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We, a group of 8 people, enjoyed lunch at the Devonshire after one of our hikes in the Peak district. It would seem the place has recently been re-furbished (?) with a contemporary feel which is very good, and also very clean. The staff were excellent getting drinks quickly and taking our order, which didn't take long to arrive. The menu isn't extensive but there is a selection of the usual favourites and a few more interesting dishes as well. We stuck to the favourites, with fish and chips, bangers and mash, a chicken with cheese and corn dish, plus one gammon. Generally speaking the food was good, except some portion control issue. One of the fish and chips which unfortunately was given to a bigger eater on the table was very small compared to the others. We joked it was more a case of fish finger and chips. Also one of the bangers and mash only has two bangers instead of three like the rest. The food was of good quality, and for what every reason the fish finger guy didn't mention to the staff (I'm sure it would have been sorted...). The ladies had deserts, but frankly were a little underwhelmed, commenting they were OK - very unlike our ladies who relish puddings. The bill came to approx £20 per head, so pretty good value including the drinks we had. So overall a very pleasant experience in a really nice environment with excellent staff, just a couple of issues that stop a 5 star rating.

1  Thank LeicesterChipper
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have been writing reviews on the Devonshire Arms Baslow since our first visit on New Years Day.
We absolutely love the place and after many visits (far too many to count) I can honestly say we have never on any of these occasions been anything but satisfied. The quality of the food is consistent. The prices for such good food are amazing. You will be hard pushed to better The Devonshire Arms. The staff will always find time for a chat, however busy they are. The atmosphere is so relaxed. You couldn't ask more of such a wonderful place ? Sunday lunch is a must. The beef is the best we have eaten in a pub (we think of it as more than a pub actually). Lovely crisp Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and delicious gravy. All for £9.95. Plenty for a large appetite. Trust me you will never come away from the Devonshire Arms hungry. The one or two reviews I have read where people complain about having to wait for their meal make me extremely cross. Do they want a meal from the microwave or one fresh and piping hot direct from the oven/hob ? I know which I prefer. Keep up the good work. We will keep coming back. Thank you All at the Devonshire Arms. You do a BRILLIANT job.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Liked everything about the food and service. Very clean and warm restaurant. Difficult to fault, can"t wait to return.

1  Thank Davidshef01
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Had a seriously good Sunday lunch which was very needed after a long walk in the area,cannot fault the food at all. We also happened upon a very nicely presented wine list with some very special inclusions alongside some lesser known bottles. Eager to discuss the contents of the list with us the owner/manager Gary made some recommendation and we opted for a promising yet a bit of a wildcard red wine from the Lebanon with lunch. Wow, if you go, please try a bottle of the Lebanese red. We enjoyed the wine, the surroundings and the company of the staff so much we went back to our B&B got changed and went back for some more of it, it turned out however that we had the last bottle of it for lunch, very much undeterred we sat in front of the open fire with a Spanish red wine and brandy. Gary again made an effort to come and speak with us at the end of the night rounding off a very special Sunday in Baslow.