“Very disappointing”
Review of The Wheatsheaf

The Wheatsheaf
Ranked #6 of 16 Restaurants in Baslow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Wheatsheaf Hotel is an 18th Century coach house situated in the heart of the Peak District outside Chesterfield. The Wheatsheaf is ideal for business travellers and tourists exploring the region, with easy access to Chesterfield, Sheffield, Derby and Manchester. Situated just outside the market town of Chesterfield, the hotel is surrounded by the rolling countryside of the Peak District and near to the superb shopping facilities of Meadowhall as well as the concert and sporting facilities of Sheffield. The Wheatsheaf Hotel offers superb facilities for food in comfortable surroundings with excellent service. Hotel accommodation includes our fantastic free breakfast.
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was disappointed with the food in this restaurant based purely on my own meal. I chose onion rings with a BBQ sauce which were OK although nothing special. My main complaint was with the cumberland sausage.

This is described as 'a large grilled Cumberland ring served on a bed of mustard mash with garden peas and a wild mushroom and Shropshire Blue cheese sauce'

The sausage was not very good quality and it didn't appear to have been grilled at all. The sausage was an unpleasant texture with none of the 'flame grilled' colour that would be expected, the mash was stodgy and the sauce looked like congealed gravy with a taste to match. I chose ice cream for desert as there's not much they could do to spoil it!

The restaurant was very busy so maybe I was unlucky but I won't be going back.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

on the way home to chesterfield from a seasonal shop at chatsworth farm shop we will always stop at the wheatsheaf for some much needed sustainance it is a warm friendly pub that serves good food at good prices.the staff are very nice and helpful with choices of food and drinks.it does get a bit hectic during the tourist season but it does not stop us from going,we have always been able to get a table no matter how busy they are.there is a good safe play area for the children and in the sunnier monthes a bbq all in all a very good pub with good food.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

was staying at chatsworth caravan club site over xmas walked towards pub and was greated by a man who said NOT YOU ! well when i saw sign fish and chips for £5 for 5 mins at 5pm realised what sort of pup it was

1  Thank fe04rev
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Myself,my wife, my son and our good friends along with there three children met here for lunch today as it was an ideal halfway house for us to meet. As there was 4 adults 3 children and 1 newly born baby we needed somewhere accommodating for children and this place was perfect, had it been a nice summers day it would of been even better as there is a great outside seating area with a good play area for the kids. However, it wasn't a nice day so we were restricted to indoors.
We arrived at the pub and were seated at a nice table next to a lovely warm fire, the young lad who waited on us was very profesional and looked after us very well. Infact the staff were very good as a whole and made the experience very pleasant given the fact that at one point we had 3 children throwing play dough, spilling drinks and generally roaming around the floor, (or maybe that was just my 2 yr old son). The food arrived promptly and was reasonably priced. It is what you expect for a pub that is within a chain, nothing homemade but edable and there is a good choice of starters,mains and puddings. On this occasion me and my wife had the roast beef dinner for £8.15,for an extra £2 you could also have a pudding. Unfortunately the beef was aweful, I can only describe it as fatty donner meat and it was very unpleasant. I had to complain and we got some fresh dinners very quickly but this time we had Turkey.
Overall a lovely pub in a very nice village, it's a Marsdons chain so you can view the menu online and it's reasonably priced. If I was to go again I would play it a bit safer with a burger or fish and chips.
We shall return but maybe in the summer and take advantage of the nice garden.

One last tip, go online and register for emails and they give you a free drink, we had four adults and each registered so we had 4 beers/wines removes from our bill.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Passing through Baslow on the way to visit Chatsworth House, I stopped at The Wheatsheaf,Baslow for lunch. (12-12-12) Outwardly it looked great and inside it was decorated really nicely, but the food was terrible. My mum had Fish and Chips and it was ok, but not great and my father and I had the Beef and Ale pie.Two meals for £10 .I think the cow must have died of old age as it was sooooooo tough, I only ate a little and let it be collected.On appearance the food looked great, but the taste was bad.I chewed two pices of beef and got nowhere, so left it. I thought the waiter would have commented on taking a near full plate back to the kitchen, but he just took it and never asked if anything was wrong.
When I paid the girl said "Was everything alright?" but I just could not face having to explain about the bad meal and I just said "It was ok" in a negative tone, but she didn't seem to be interested in asking me why?
I will never go back there and could never recommend anyone I know to go there. It was not good.If you pass through Baslow, keep driving is my advice.