“Great Sunday Lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Charlie's Bistro
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Baslow
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
UK
“Great Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visited on Sunday 5th May 2013. Enjoyed an excellent and great value Sunday roast with my wife and mother-in-law. We shared the bruschetta as a starter - a good choice as it turned out. We all had the roast beef as main course - our empty plates at the end spoke for themselves; all very satisfied (unfortunately too well satisfied to try the puddings - they will have to wait until next time). The service was very friendly and efficient - all in all highly recommended. We look forward to returning.

• Visited May 2013

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent spot for Sunday Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Went for Sunday Lunch today with some friends and it was excellent!
Hadn't been for several years and decided to go after my wife had recently been for great lunches with friends - and boy! we were not disappointed!
Charlie's has been very nicely decorated, the staff are very friendly, efficient and attentive, but the best thing about this great little bistro is the food! It's really superb!
3 of us had the Lobster Ravioli to start - simply delicious! - and one had the Venison Scotch Egg! Although we are Scots we've never had Scotch Eggs like this - mouth watering!
The ladies had Cod Loin and both commented on how light, tasty and delicious the batter was - never mind the fish! Both loved their dishes, especially the cod and the mushy peas!
My friend had the homemade Steak & Ale Pie which he said was one of the best he'd ever tasted - a real compliment as he's a very good cook himself!
I had the roast ribeye which was the nicest beef I've eaten for Sunday roast in a long time! I even ate the delicious Yorkshire Pud, which I'm not a great fan of, so that shows you how good it was!
The desserts were to die for with two selecting the trifle, whilst one had the crumble and the other the creme brûlée!
All really excellent!
The wine list maybe small, but it has something for every palate I'm sure and I'd certainly recommend the NZ Pinot Noir!
Definitely one of the best places for lunch, at any time, and we will certainly be going back - on our own and with friends when they visit!
Don't just read these reviews and wonder - try it out for yourself - you won't be disappointed I assure you!

Visited April 2013
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Enjoyed many breakfasts and a few evening meals at Charlie's.

The food is wonderful and the place has a nice, friendly ambience.

Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent choice for brunch or lunch. Booking essential for weekends.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to Charlie's since it opened - I remember the good luck cards around the counter area - and it has always been consistent in its delivery of fresh, bistro quality dishes.

Brunch - excellent selection from a hearty full English to eggs benedict to museli. (And much more in between)!

Lunch - always interesting specials, some classic but an inventive range of tasty salads which make it a great lunch alternative to the more traditional heavy options. Well done!

The quality of the food is excellent - well presented, tasty and always has an edgier option slid in... Black pudding salad for instance.

One of the main things that has changed in recent years is that is has got busier - I would now always book for a brunch or lunch at a weekend to avoid disappontment - unless it was past two o'clock and then I would definitely just call in.

I come up here from London often - and this is the place I always bring my friends too; not only is the food great but the service is pleasant too.

NB is closed early weekdays - check if you are making a special trip!

• Visited April 2013
“Highly recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Great,friendly and attentive service and high quality, fresh food. A fantastic lunch. Dog welcomed outside too!

• Visited April 2013