“A tasty lunch” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Estate Wine
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Waipara
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Black Estate is a remarkable place for wine. Sit above our vineyard overlooking outrageously beautiful views of Waipara Valley, and enjoy a wine tasting and good and honest locally sourced food. Great coffee too. Open 10am - 4pm, closed Mondays and Tuesdays and closed for maintenance from 19 July - 20 August. Bookings recommended. Dogs welcome.
Ashburton, New Zealand
“A tasty lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We visited Black Estate this afternoon on recommendation from our daughter. We were not disappointed! The staff were helpful and very pleasant; they were happy to chat about the wine, menu, area and their business. The grilled fish was very tasty, cherry almond pie beautifully light and crisp and of course the riesling was delicious.
What a lovely place to spend a Saturday afternoon.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Melbourne, Australia
“Over prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I do want to say the wines here are fantastic, along with the location and setup. If your just heading past this winery to visit the cellar door and not eat then I have nothing but praise however... If you planning to sit and dine here I will warn you that the food is very small portions and very overpriced for what your getting. For example the mains are all $32 and above and they do not include any sides and the size of the meal is tiny.

Once again great wines but very very overpriced and small meals

1 Thank Simon W
Lafayette, La.
“Another great vineyard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We were sent to Black estate as we could not geta table at Pegusas Bay. We were not disappointed as the tastings were good with a knowledgeable staff. The foot was prepared nicely, creatively and dietary requirements caused no lack of quality.

Visited November 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Scrumptious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Black Estate is perched up on the hills looking down upon the vines spread out below. The black barn stands out on the horizon and is an interesting addition to the landscape. The wine is clearly very good but the food was also of an equivalent high standard. The menu was perfect for a Sunday outing, not too heavy but with the right amounts of flavour, colour and taste. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was jovial. This a great addition to the Waipara.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Raf1966
Christchurch
“Adore this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We are in the hospo biz and having worked happily for punter's on Fathers Day 9 to 9 and feeling a tad sonked from our battering we awake to a beautiful blue morning. Day off, sort of....we do have to work tonight....We agree it's a 'Black Estate' kind of day.
I 'book' via the phone as car co-pilot and recieve a message that they are open and leave a message booking a table for two at 1.30ish. Serendipity is on our side as they are when we arrive they are open, though the operating hours are a tad confusing at the gate.
Parkings a breeze. Greeted by a lovely girl...Pen...my husband swears he know her she looks familiar to me too. Seated, blackboard explanations, water and wine is discussed and ordered. Two lovely glasses of B.E Chardonnay arrive and we sort out the familiarty. My gorgeous husband know's her sister and she remembers us from our last visit. We order lunch...local bread and olive oil, mixed olives, Charcuterie Plate and venison. We ditch the Charcuterie for Slow cooked Lamb almost immediately and it's totally unproblamatic. Pen is lovely and has a 'helper' in the form of a gorgeous three year old girl child that follows dutifully where ever she goes. Pen the 'piper'. Racheal Scott Bread and mixed olives are a delight. The local local olives are my favourite...green on the eye and succulent sweet. We ask for advise about the pinot's and decide on a glass of the two options. Yum. I go girly with the 'Spy' and my husband butch with the B.Estate. Both delicious in there own individual ways. Mains arrive and are equally delicious. Pearl barley with kale is amazing with the lamb shoulder. Venison has been cooked perfectly and the jerusalem artichoke is to die for sadly it has such a short season but reminds me of my childhood and I am in heaven. My only problem is tiny plates and tiny cutlery. I so love this place. The view's are incredible.
Rolling hill's, Snow on the middle distant, well kept vines. The vista is awesome.
Service always informative. Menu simple but brilliant. Just an hour from Christchurch and you are in a differant and very lovely world.Protected from easterlies. We forgo dessert as we have to return to the big city but I purchase an opinel knife for my 'foodie' son's impending birthday from the departure lounge. Thank you Pen you made my day.

• Visited September 2013