This very basic and immaculate hotel is ideal for the location. My room consisted of two single beds on the second floor facing Mt. Cook. Please pay the extra dollars for this type of room as the view is just priceless while relaxing provided its a clear day outside. The hotel is only two levels and there is no elevator, so keep this in mind.
The communal room was far bigger than I ever could have imagined and much more functional than I assumed with full kitchen facilities including stove, pots/pans, cutlery, utensils, plates and glasses. You'll have to backtrack to the small town of Twizel (about 40 minutes away) to pick up market supplies and, if needed, gasoline at the town's Shell station. A refrigerator is available to store food items, too.
The communal room offers a giant screen television, AMAZING views of the mountains, free coffee/tea making facilities, books and enough couches/chairs to accommodate 30 people but in a very cozy sort of way.
A few steps from this gem of a lodge is a very delightful restaurant/"pub" run by the Hobbs Family who were some of the nicest people I came across during my 2-week stay in New Zealand. Their establishment offers a light breakfast, lunch and dinner items in a WONDERFUL sort of Alpine feel environment. Internet usage is available in a side room (coin operated) where there is also a billiards table. It's great to sit by the roaring fire to have a drink and just relax and chat with fellow visitors. The lunch and dinner meals were better than I expected with offerings including fish and chips, salads, steak, pizza, lamb chops and other items.
The hotel is basic, but it's quite a good deal for the location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Aoraki Mount Cook Village our accommodation is designed to meet the needs of the budget conscious traveller whilst providing the highest standard of service, cleanliness and comfort.We have 16 ensuite rooms, 24 hr onsite management, reception open 830am-800pm daily with 24hour check in available. Free WiFi is included in the room rate as is free off street parking onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Hotel Mt. Cook Village
- Aoraki Mt Cook Alpine Hotel
- Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Lodge New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village