My family of four (3 adults and 1 child) thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Alpine Lodge and if and when we return to Mt Cook, I would happpily choose to stay there again.
We stayed in an up-stairs, four-bed, family room, and while it was quite 'cosy' having all four of us in a not very big room, the views out the bedroom window more than made up for this. There was a small table and a couple of chairs next to the window, and I found it to be very relaxing sitting next to the window with a hot drink admiring the beautiful view. Also, because of the full-moon, I could admire the mountain all night, even when lying flat in bed. Had it not been a full-moon but still a clear night, we would have been able to watch the stars instead.
The kitchen/living/dining space had an equally impressive view, which made it a much more enjoyable experience to cook and dine in. Surprisingly, we had this space to ourselves a lot, despite the lodge being fully booked out. The kitchen was well-resourced, but just make sure you bring in food supplies from outside of Mt Cook.
The service was polite, but a bit more reserved than I like, and the lodge was clean and tidy.
Value for money, it is mid-range for the Mt Cook area, but expensive in terms of the rest of the country. But given the isolation of the location, and the presumably high costs of bringing in supplies, I can kind of understand why Mt Cook is not the cheapest area to stay. What you are paying for is an amazing view, and that is what we got.
Tip: The Alpine Lodge uses IAC internet just like many other motels, backpackers and holiday parks in the South Island. Before travelling, check out the IAC website to see how many of your other accommodation options use IAC also. Buying a wifi package for your whole trip could work out quite a bit cheaper than paying for it day by day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Aoraki Mount Cook Village our accommodation is designed to meet the needs of the budget conscious traveller whilst providing the highest standard of service, cleanliness and comfort.We have 16 ensuite rooms, 24 hr onsite management, reception open 830am-800pm daily with 24hour check in available. Free WiFi is included in the room rate as is free off street parking onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Hotel Mt. Cook Village
- Aoraki Mt Cook Alpine Hotel
- Aoraki Mount Cook Alpine Lodge New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village