We stayed in a 8 bed dorm for 3 nights. On check in there had been a power cut and the generator for the whole village had gone down. Fair enough, we stumbled to our room in the dark and hoped that at some point heating would return to the building.
The heater in our room was an electric heater with a timed button that stopped after about 2 minutes - others around the hostel did seem to last longer. This meant that our room never really heated up properly and it was alway a bit cold.
We had bad weather one day so spent our time reading in the common area. We requested the fire be out on as it was freezing cold but were told not until 3pm. This seems a bit strange. I understand if no one is in the room and using it but instead I sat wrapped in hat and scarf and was still cold!
Showers and bathrooms seemed pretty clean, as was the kitchen. Although the kitchen was fairly small for the amount of people trying to cook in there sometimes.
Would still recommend to stay here as the location is just amazing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to YHA Mt Cook! Our beautiful alpine lodge in the Heart of Aoraki / Mt Cook National Park is the perfect base to explore and experience New Zealand's Southern Alps. Enjoy the natural beauty of the area by taking walks suitable for all ages and abilities. Kayaking, Skiing, Boating, Flying and Stargazing are all activities that can be enjoyed here in Aoraki / Mt Cook, as well as comfortable dining in the village's cafes and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your YHA Aoraki Mt Cook reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yha Mt. Cook Hotel Mt. Cook Village
- YHA Aoraki Mt Cook New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village