I had planned to stay at Mount Cook YHA for one night. The coach dropped me right outside. The weather was pretty grim that day, one for waterproofs, with low visibility. I stayed for around 3 nights, had an amazing time, and saw some views that will stay with me fondly for life.
The YHA was wonderfully warm, being in such a cold, harsh location, with plenty of great food supplies, a great big kitchen, and switches for heated walls in rooms, a lovely alpine feel with the interior.
The staff were really friendly, welcoming and were always happy to help with any advice. For such a busy place, with large numbers I must say it is managed superbly.
The kitchens were nice and big, never feeling crowded, the films and wood burning fire were a lovely addition for when the weather turns.
The bunks were nice and comfy, and it was surprisingly quiet. The views are fab at sunrise from the hostel, and I had a brilliant view of Mount Sefton from my bunk!
Have visited afew YHA's in New Zealand, but this was my fav!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to YHA Mt Cook! Our beautiful alpine lodge in the Heart of Aoraki / Mt Cook National Park is the perfect base to explore and experience New Zealand's Southern Alps. Enjoy the natural beauty of the area by taking walks suitable for all ages and abilities. Kayaking, Skiing, Boating, Flying and Stargazing are all activities that can be enjoyed here in Aoraki / Mt Cook, as well as comfortable dining in the village's cafes and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, HostelWorld and Expedia so you can book your YHA Aoraki Mt Cook reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yha Mt. Cook Hotel Mt. Cook Village
- YHA Aoraki Mt Cook New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village