“Wonderderful Scenery, Charming Chalet”

The Hermitage Hotel
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Our stay at the Hermitage was quite quick but we loved our little chalet and the Mt.Cook scenery. When we signed in the staff were very courteous, professional and helpful. We stayed in the chalets which were located a short hike downhill from the main hotel.
The chalet had all the amenities you expect, kitchenette, fridge, t.v, ensuite and plenty of space! It can hold upto four people. The bed kept us warm through out the night as they were fitted with electric blankets. The ensuite had a small heater and heated towel rack to keep things toasty while in the shower. The kitchenette is fitted with the basic necessities.
There are a number of trails located around the Hermitage and the Edmund Hilary centre is located adjacent to the hotel. The hotel also offers excursions through out the day, so there's plenty to do. Make sure to bring warm clothing and enjoy the fresh Mt.Cook air!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mostunusualgurl
Andrew_Hermitage, General Manager at The Hermitage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2010

Dear Mostunusualgurl,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at The Hermitage and Aoraki Mount Cook National Park.

Thanks once again.

Andrew Cleverley

Write a ReviewReviews (2,071)

Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed at the motel, which is down the hill from the hotel and not a good hike for physically impaired people, but the Hermitage does provide transportation up and down....just call them when ready for a pick up. The motel is much more affordable. A great museum dedicated to Sir Edmund Hillary and all that blazed the mountain climbing traditions. The dinner buffet was spectacular and worth the money. The cafe had a wonderful selection of foods. Service was great....when we needed something they responded quickly and with a friendly attitude. We took the glacier tour which was a riot...there is a 1.5 kilometer walk to the dinghy's down a gravel trail. Hiking is the best in this location....photography a smorgasbord. We took a tour to get to the Hermitage so had to leave at a certain time. Knowing what I know now I would have rented a car and went on my own. The tour only provided transportation and unnecessary information on the way to the Hermitage.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Blanca36

Dear Blanca36,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Hermitage Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed experience with us and I hope that we will see you again in the future, this time for longer so that you are able to spend more time enjoying all that is on offer at The Hermitage and Aoraki Mount Cook National Park.

Reviewed January 14, 2010

Our room here certainly lived up to expectation with a stunning view over Mount Cook. Unfortunately the bed was the least comfortable of our entire holiday, causing backache. We were glad we only stayed one night.

We had dinner in the Panorama restaurant, which was a wonderful experience (great food and service) and from which we were lucky enough to see a perfect evening sunset over Mount Cook - the ideal way of celebrating our anniversary.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear LizaC-Medlar,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of upgrading some of the older beds in the hotel so I do apologise that you found the bed to be uncomfortable. If you don't mind I would appreciate if you may be able to contact me direct and let me know what room you stayed in so that I can ensure the bed is replaced. My direct email is andrew.cleverley@hermitage.co.nz

Thanks once again for your feedback, without such we could not rectify these problems. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 7, 2010

which were fine and functional and we ate one night in the Panorama restaurant. The service was good and my partner's food was okay however as a vegetarian it was almost an insult in a restaurant of that standing to offer me pasta or a risotto. The two simplest dishes anyone can make. I really expected a bit more.
The other two nights we ate at the independent cafe outside the hotel. It had a lovely relaxed atmosphere and much better choice of food for me.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank moooose
Andrew_Hermitage, General Manager at The Hermitage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2010

Dear Mooose,

Thank you for your recent review of The Hermitage Hotel. Thank you for pointing this out, I will be speaking with my Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that we include more vegetarian option's in the future. In saying that, our chefs are are always willing to cook anything that is requested and I would urge anyone in the future to tell the waiter/waitress if they have any special dietry requirements, the chefs can prepare something to suit all needs.

Thanks once again for your feedback.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We had a fantastic time. Will be making a return trip very soon. Cannot fault the place at all.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank HREAshburton
Andrew_Hermitage, General Manager at The Hermitage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2010

Dear HREAshburton,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience with us at The Hermitage. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed December 24, 2009

The Hermitage is a huge, to my eyes ugly, & expensive hotel trading on its superb location. We spent two nights in a motel studio, a comparative bargain at NZ$225 per night. Although unattractive from outside, inside they are pleasant & well equipped, including a kitchenette. There is a great view through the patio doors which open onto a little seating area.
We dined both evenings in the Panorama Restaurant which serves quite classy food. The six course tasting menu is a real bargain at NZ$81, although unfortunately it isn't changed daily.
Unusually for NZ our final bill included a request for a tip. Disappointing to see this land of equals being seduced by the master-servant idea of tipping.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Andrew_Hermitage, General Manager at The Hermitage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2009

Dear PetroniusMinor,

Thank you for your review of The Hermitage Hotel. There are a couple of points I would like to comment on in order to give you and readers of this review an accurate understanding. The Hotel has been built with approval by The Department of Conservation and we often get great feedback regarding it's design and colour scheme being in keeping with it's surrounds. Yes, the hotel is slightly more expensive than a city based hotel, but this is due to the fact that the costs of operating in a national park and the remote location make this hotel a much more costly hotel to operate, therefore our prices reflect this. In regards to the 6 course tasting menu, the menu usually changes everyday and I apologise if this did not happen, I will follow this up with the Executive Chef. In the Panorama Restaurant we usually find that some of our oversea's guests like to offer a tip as gratitude of the wonderful service and food they recieved, therefore we have put a small line on the bill that simply says "Tip" with an area for those who choose to tip to write the amount in. This is certainly not compulsory and I apologise if this offended you.

Thanks once again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 22, 2009

We stayed in a lovely chalet for our three night stay. The chalet was beautifully furnished, quiet, clean and very well equipped. The bathroom was nice and well stocked with toiletries and fluffy white towels. We had a view of Mount Cook from the window and walked each day from the chalet. Include in our rental was a continental breakfast buffet which was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BoltonAnnB
Andrew_Hermitage, General Manager at The Hermitage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2009

Dear BoltonAnnB,

Thank you for your feddback regarding your recent stay in our Chalets at The Hermitage. I was please to read your positive comments and hope to welcome you back again soon. Have a wonderful Xmas in New Zealand!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mt. Cook Village
Aoraki Court Aoraki/Mt Cook Village
Mt Cook Lodge and Motels
Mt Cook Lodge and Motels
#4 of 4 in Mt. Cook Village

Been to The Hermitage Hotel? Share your experiences!