We had booked the Hertimage for our 33rd Wedding Anniversary - or at least my husband wanted to stay here. I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews about this resort, but I am very happy to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We took advantage of the Winter special on offer which included a room with view of Mt Cook, dinner and breakfast. This deal suited us fine. We arrived at the resort around 5pm after an exceptional day in regards to the weather, with not a cloud in the sky. The view of Mt Cook was glorious to see with the sun shining on the top and as it was full moon a couple of nights ago the moon also lit up the mountain.
The road to the resort is well sign posted and the entrance was very grand, check in was painless as I had already prepaid for the package. All details the resort had were correct, the staff were very friendly and helpful, handed us a key and explained where to park our car and the location of the room. The room was lovely, the view as expected was sensational, the room was well appointed. The only drawback was that the bathroom light also turned on the exhaust fan which is very noisy. We had a balcony to view the mountains.
Our dinner was booked for 7pm - in the Panorama Restaurant - the curtains were drawn so no view of the mountain - a bit disappointed- the food was exceptional. Bread (3 varieties)and dips were first, entree was a smoked portobello mushroom - delicious, followed by mains, a Salmon baked with Lemon Ginger & chilli - this was fantastic and melted in the mouth, my husband choose Merino Lamb and loved it, we are not big wine drinkers, so did not have any, but the list is extensive. Dessert - Chocolate & Ginger Truffle, very rich but beautiful, & Orange and Almond Frangipanne, also delicious, and then to finish off a Baileys hot chocolate - our meal was beautiful. The staff were great and very helpful - took photos of us and attentive, when we mentioned it was our anniversary the desert came out with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate.
Breakfast the following day was as expected for a buffet breaky - with a wide selection of food advailable
The shop and activities centre was very helpful - we wanted to book a skiplane for the next day and they phoned and made the enquires while we were having breakfast.
We had a very enjoyable stay at The Hermitage, I recommend staying here - the view is the best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From an intrepid journey through glacial valleys to a mouth-watering culinary dining adventure, The Hermitage Hotel is the perfect 'base camp' to discover your Peak Experience. Choose from premium hotel rooms, motel units or cozy chalets. Add world-class activities such as Glacier Explorers, Tasman Valley 4WD and Argo Tours, Big Sky Stargazing, Encounter Day Walks, scenic flights or the visual extravaganza of the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and you have a unique, year-round alpine adventure perfect for the family holiday or your next romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Booking.com so you can book your The Hermitage Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook Village
- Hermitage New Zealand
- The Hermitage Hotel New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village