“Yuk”

Chamois Bar & Grill
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Description: The Chamois Bar & Grill offers a great range of local beers and splendid choice of different foods, from Pizzas and salads to seafood and steaks, there are plenty of meals for everyone's taste buds and dietary requirements. Sit back relax with a beverage and take in the priceless mountain views from your table or soak up the live sport on the big screen TV. Enjoy.
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Four of us ate here, steak overcooked, Thai curry unbelievably salty, undercooked pizza and very average fish and chips non of which were overly cheap. After that you are expected to clear your own table!!! $88 for the four of us not including drinks, was going to order a second round of drinks but the barman did a vanishing act and no staff around to complain to if I thought it would have made a difference. Just glad we found the Mountaineer the next day which was awesome. This place must be owned by the same group as the Heritage hotel as the receptionist didn't mention the Mountaineer when saying the hotel restaurant was fully booked and sent us down the road to this joke of a place

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Very disappointed to pay fair prices for poor food in a meeting hall surrounding. Long wait for lukewarm food. Perhaps the lack of competition makes you lazy.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a difficult review to make since the food was pretty good. However, processing this good food seems to be nearly impossible for the incompetents working behind the counter. 1. The food is ordered fro the bar - so far so good. 2. The food is made - again - great. 3. Then. I watched and timed the minutes from the time the food was placed on the 'warming table' until the number was actually placed on the 'ready' board and it was actually over 15 minutes! Inexcusable! Good food made bad! I would have rated it lower but they actually produce a fairly good product, but watching food under the warming lights for that length of time turned me off. Get your act together!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I stayed at the Mt. Cook Backpackers, I got a deal which included 1 meal and a drink. My bus driver recommended the ribs, so I gave them a shot. They were magic! Probably the best ribs I've ever had, and they are served with potatoes and a small salad. The food is quite expensive, but if you travel with Stray, as I did, you get a deal which includes a drink, 1 hour of internet and entry to the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Center just up the road.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went for dinner, and while there ended up joining in their Quiz Night - was great fun! We wanted to try their Monteiths Wild Food challenge, unfortunately they'd run out. Had the steak which was ok, but the ribs were delicious - sticky and tasty. Not cheap, but as expected its a million miles from anywhere and the walk back to our accommodation was a great opportunity to experience the clear night sky of Mt Cook National Park.