“Gourmet retreat! Delicious in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sublime Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kurow
Sublime Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Kurow B&B and Inns
Warwickshire
“Gourmet retreat! Delicious in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

I found Sublime wine on the Internet when I was searching for something special to book for my boyfriend and I. It looks fantastic, just up our street! Owned by a couple called Fenella and Steve. An overnight stay, breakfast and a three-course dinner each including wine is only $250 around £125 it is amazing! Everything they serve is from their land. Including the wine, which comes from their vineyard. I called Fenella about 6 times that day to tell her about when we wanted to come, what time we were coming and where they were as well as a number of emails. They were great and extremely accommodating!

When Fenella told me they were in the middle of nowhere she really meant it! We drove through eerily quiet villages with no one around. It was like something out of a horror scene. It was raining, dark and I swear the cows had a wild look in their eyes! My BF was winding me up the whole way, saying we would get there and we would actually be the dinner! I have a wild imagination and actually become concerned at where I have bought us! We arrive and are greeted by Steve with a big smile on his face and he doesn’t look like he wants to eat us ☺. Their place is gorgeous, even in the pouring rain!

Steve shows us to our room, we walk across the terrace and he opens the all glass patio doors to our room. It is so quirky and has real character! I love it! There are two bedrooms at Sublime at the moment so you could go as a group of four, which would be fun too! It is very romantic for the two of us though. Our bedroom opens onto the beautiful dining room. There is long, wooden, dramatic table that stretches down the length of it and there are two places already set out for us.

Next stop the kitchen where Fenella is busy preparing our dinner. It smells unbelievable! We are both very excited about this! It is great to meet them both and they are so enthusiastic about what they do and share our passion for food, wine and travel. We start the evening sampling some of there local pinot rose, it is a blend they came up with and only has a slight tinge of rose. It is floral, fresh and citrusy. We take a seat at the table after nattering for a bit and try the starter of fresh artichokes dipped in homemade aioli. I have never eaten fresh artichokes, you peel the spikey outer to uncover a yummy center!

Fenella proudly brings out the main course of slow cooked leg of lamb or Murray as we are told he was called (My BF finds this very upsetting, although not that upsetting that he doesn’t eat it) it is the best tasting lamb I have ever eaten! Thank you Murray ☺. It literally melted in your mouth! Served with caramelized onion jam, Polenta cake and roast sweet potato. All washed down with locally produced Pinot Noir! Yum Yum! We are offered 2nds and we politely say HELL YES! After filling our stomachs to bursting with the amazing food, Steve brings out desert. It is like Christmas in a cup! It is alcohol soaked fruit with a crumble topping and brandy cream!!! We both finish it all!

After almost three bottles of wine between us, it is fair to say I am fairly tipsy and wearing what my BF would call my drunken face ☺ I am also very full! My BF is the same, one more drink could be our downfall! Steve brings in a couple of bottles of whisky, now I know I am not going to try this out, I pour a glass of wine instead! Alex however gives it a go; bearing in mind he is not a whiskey drinker! He knocks back a shot and I can see this was not a good idea. We stumble back to the room, which is next door thank goodness!

Tonight is the first night in almost three weeks that we have not slept in our cubbyhole in the camper van, it is the best nights sleep ever! I can see why Steve and Fenella love this place! Particularly when I open the curtains in our room and it is a perfect day. The sun is peering over the mountains in the distance and shining onto the garden and vineyards in front of us! Not bad! We go through for breakfast and they have laden the table with freshly made stuffed pastries, fresh bread, home made jams, home made muesli, fresh orange juice, great coffee!!! All this followed by home made beef and garlic sausages with plum sauce and bacon from the farm. Yum Yum!!! We are soooo stuffed!

After sitting outside in the sun letting our food go down we move on, drive towards Christchurch which will be our final destination. If we had time we would of driven south from Kurow down the coast to visit Fluers Palace in Moerkai http://www.fleursplace.com/. This is apparently the restaurant Rick Stein would come back to before he dies, it is beautiful and on a great peninsula with fantastic views. I am gutted we missed this. We would recommend everyone who goes to New Zealand to go here! It is Incredible and not to be missed!

If you are going to NewZealand and would like to check out the adventure of two foodies and winos, who love life and adventure sports around the North and South Island for 3 weeks in a camper van then take a look at www.carpediem-life.com ! Feel free to contact me and to comment for more info :). We are also travelling around Australia and South East Asia, if you have a second check it out!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

My Girlfriend booked a room here as a surprise on our tour of New Zealand and from the minute we arrived Steve and Finella made us feel at home. They have a beautiful house and the room was really quirky with a beautiful view of the vineyard.

We dined in a beautiful dinning room with a large open fire looking out over the vineyards. Perfect setting for dinner.

They both have an excellent knowledge of food and wine and be prepared to eat if you stay here. We had an amazing slow cooked Marino Lamb dinner that was fantastic and a full cooked breakfast in the morning using all local produce.

Great food, great wine, great people and great place. Says it all i think!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Following a snippet in Lonely Planet, we booked to stay the night AND for the Taste of Waitaki dinner. The property and winery has a relaxed, chilled vibe. Steve and Fenella welcomed us like old friends, and Fenella's dinner was just brilliant! (we ate at some top NZ restaurants during our visit, and her meal topped the lot). 3 fabulous courses of locally produced fare - all washed down with the best of their vineyard. They were great hosts. Second to the food, was the interesting & funky decor. Fenella's attention to detail with it all truly works & gives the place such warmth and character. We'd give it all our highest recommendation, and can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms - both are fantastic.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cuneo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed at Sublime Lodge in winter 2011. It is one of our favourite stay in New Zealand!

The place is beautiful. Surrounded by mountains and vineyards the renovated house is comfortable and welcoming, with a funky touch. Our room had a gorgeous view. We really appreciated the open fireplace in the dining room.

The owners, Steve and Fenella (and the family) were very kind and helpful. They helped us to organise all kind of activities : from a warm and peaceful afternoon at the Omarama Hot Tub to an amazing flight above the Milford Sound.

Fenella is a wonderful cook ! The meals were amazing. We discovered local products and wines served with taste and generosity.

Kurow is very well situated and the Waitaki Valley is a real pleasure to discover. From Oamaru to Omarama, you can easily ride to Dunedin, Mt Cook or Lake Tekapo.

We are already planning to come back in New Zealand… and Sublime Lodge is definitely on the top of our travelling plans.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Sublime at the start of November 2011 - having seen a small piece in the Lonely Planet on Steve and Fenella's place - they booked us in at short notice via email.
The place is wonderful - a beautiful landscape and well designed vineyard/homestead with great guest facilities.
The food divine, the wine delicious and Fenella knows her stuff on both. The decoration is cool and quirky. If only we could have stayed for longer.
A charming family, great kids, even the dog and chucks were super cool and welcoming - would recommend to anyone with taste

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

It has taken me quite a while to get around to doing this review since we stayed with the lovely Fenella, Steve and their gorgeous girls for 2 days in June 2011 but the memories remain strong such was the impact of the hospitality and style of this fabulous bed and breakfast.
We toured the north and south of New Zealand for 5 weeks and this was by far our favourite place to stay. When we return to New Zealand on our next holiday we will definitely have to stay again and longer as we only touched the tip of the proverbial iceberg of the things to do and see with Sublime Wine as a home base.
I had high expectations due to their tempting website and could have easily been setting myself up for disappointment but from the moment we walked into our private dining room with comfortable chairs placed in front of the roaring fire, a bottle of their superb pinot noir open and waiting for us all expectations were met and then exceeded. We chilled for a while as our 1 year old daughter was lavished with attention. It is a fine line to walk being a host but they walk it with consummate ease, making us feel comfortable and pampered but also respecting our privacy.
We took up the option of Fenella's home cooked 3 course meal on both nights and it was a perfect example of quality local food cooked simply to it's best advantage.
Loved the decor, a mix of groovy arty goodness and retro refinement with a dash of quirkyness thrown in.
Breakfast is served whenever you like it, and we like it late so 10.30am was our choice which was appreciated. The homemade sourdough is awesome by the way!
I will let my photos do the rest of the talking but as you have most likely gathered I highly recommend you stay at least one night and preferably more in this ideal location with friendly and charming hosts.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

Set in the most scenic environment, the Sublime Lodge is the perfect location to unwind and relax for a couple of days. We strongly recommend it as a romantic retreat, especially if you are keen for European style that is made local ingredients as the (optional) dinner is simply fantastic. Steve and Fenella are very welcoming and hospitable hosts and the guest rooms are cosy (open fireplace!) and of very original design. We did a fantastic walk in the surrounding hills that Steve recommended - great fun! Our best B&B experience in New Zealand. Just ...cool. :-)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sublime Lodge? Share your experiences!