“Character Plus!”
Review of Geraldine Cinema

Geraldine Cinema
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Geraldine
Reviewed April 27, 2012

For a rustic experience, book a couch and go way back in time to the days of the old movie theatres. Great Fun.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

It was one of the highlights of my 3-week trip in South Island. I have to say this theatre is nothing like I've ever been. There were rows of couches with plenty of blankets and cushions so you can actually lie down, wrap yourself up with a blanket and make yourself cozy and comfortable. It was like watching a film at home but with a bigger screen. There was a break briefly halfway through the film, so you can go buy goodies or go to the loo if you need to (The ladies' room was very stylish and clean, by the way). When I go to the movies, quite often all I get is teenagers at the ticket counter who look totally bored and cannot wait to get rid of me so that they can start to talk to their workmates again. The owners of this theatre, however, were very friendly and told me some useful tips on what I should do in Geraldine. One afternoon, I was running late for the film but ordered a hot drink as I was feeling a bit chilly. Knowing the film was just about to start, the lady at the counter told me to go in and have a seat as she knew where my couch was. (You can book a couch on the phone beforehand.) She brought the tea to me five minutes later, and I was so impressed with the service. You can never ever expect that from other theatres. There are loads of stuff you can do in Geraldine, but this cinema experience is definitely unforgettable and worthwhile.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

quirky and friendly - always something different coming up - worht checking what's on. Love the disco ball

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Cheaper than the Timaru movie plex, old building with a lot of charm. Blankets available for when it gets chilly, worth a visit

Reviewed October 3, 2011

I had stopped in Geraldine on a trip and was walking the dogs past the cinema when the owner, I presume, engaged me in conversation. I was subtly steered Into this quite extraordinary place.
Think 1950,s picture house crossed with a student flat on a magnificent scale and you get the idea.
The auditorium has been furnished with salvaged seating from disused cinemas and donated sofas covered in an assortment of wild and wonderful covers.
There is also a balcony with a generous assortment of sofas.
I was lucky enough to be given a tour of the projection room with its magnificent carbon arc projectors from the 1930,s
I was also proudly shown the newly redecorated ladies' toilets. Very tasteful art deco colours!
Te building itself has a beautiful exterior.
This place is a national treasure and a wonderful tribute to those who saved it from destruction
Patronize it! It deserves to live another 100 years. It makes the trip to Geraldine worth a very long drive!