“You can not find a fault”

Red Stag Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Fairlie
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A La Carte dining in a relaxing environment in our sunny conservatory or in our elegant dining room.
Reviewed June 6, 2014

The Red Stag was the complete experience.From the first moment we stepped in the door the service as inviting and attentive. Both meals were perfectly cooked and were delicious. The cheesecake was devine. We enjoyed our coffee by the open fire in the bar. Ruth had no quarms with us wondering around the bar looking at the photo's and paintings. The atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. I will be returning, and encourage others to try this fantastic restaurant.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Delicious venison cooked perfectly to order! Great food with a warm atmosphere and charismatic staff! Would recommend this place to all my friends and can't wait to come again! A very memorable experience indeed!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have dashed through Fairlee many times on my way south or north to the "main centres". On this last trip I was persuaded by a fellow passenger to stay over in Fairlie to sample a special resturant called the Old Library. Imagine my dissapointment when - on arrival at our very acceptable Motel - the Aorangi -to learn that due to an earlier fire the old Library was closed for some noths to come - HOWEVER our host recommeded the Red Stag - just across the road.
And boy am I glad she did. We had dined on venison at the renowed Bostawna Butchery in Queenstown a few weeks earlier and without a word of exargeration I have to say Chef Keith's vension dish was ever bit a match for theirs - and the good wine was priced for this life not the next as in Queenstown! The big villa has been loveling restored - plenty of room . Host Ruth could not have been more welcoming. Fairlie will see a lot more of me on future trips.

1  Thank Tony P
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We chose the Red Stag as it was near our motel in Fairlie. We were immediately warmly welcomed by the hostess, Ruth and her lovely terrier, Charlie! The menu was varied with several vegetarian options. We dined in the verandah which had a lovely atmosphere. The food was simply delicious, the portions huge. The lemon tart we had for dessert was amazing. Ruth was so friendly and the restaurant comfortable and relaxing. We weren't rushed at all and stayed and chatted for a while. I can highly recommend the Red Stag and it's a great alternative to dining in Tekapo.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Great hospitality, peaceful setting and an absolutely beautiful meal.
The icing on the top, wheelchair access and tables that were high enough to fit a power wheelchair underneath. First time ever that my husband didn't have to transfer into a manual chair and then clown around taking foot plates off to sit at the table! So good that we're booked in again tomorrow night!
Thankyou for a very enjoyable evening.
A+++++++