Arthur's Pass is the best place to see Kea which we were very keen to do (and were not disappointed). Accomodation is pretty limited in Arthur's pass so we stayed here for one night before moving on to Christchurch.
Very cheap - for the size of the cabin its excellent value
Current owner was nice (although there was a for sale sign out the front so this may change shortly)
There is a train line across the road for primarily freight that runs frequently and all through the night. I know others said this wasn't a problem but our cabin actually shook and rattled every time a train passed. There are also heavy lorries passing along the state highway just outside. This did not give us a good nights sleep.
Its cold. These are older flimsy cabins that have basically no thermal insulation at all and so they leak heat at a pretty fast rate. Whenever we came back after the heaters had been off for even a couple of hours it was freezing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- High in the Southern Alps, nestled amongst mountains and beech forest, is Arthur's Pass Village. A comfortable two hour drive from Christchurch, Arthur's Pass offers some of the best unspoilt hiking and scenery in New Zealand. The hiking/walking tracks vary from a one-hour walk up to the Punchbowl Falls, to a multi-day hike in the mountains.Arthur's Pass Alpine Motel, conveniently situated in the village, offers fantastic self contained Motel accommodation, complete with your own bathroom and kitchen. A recent upgrade has seen the installation of double glazed windows and doors to the majority of our units to increase warmth and decrease noise. We also offer free WIFI. Our warm, cosy cabins (some with gas fires) sleep 1-5 people. With a hotel and restaurant a short walk from our motel, it is the perfect location to base yourself for some leisurely walking and tramping, or a hike up to Avalanche Peak for a grand view of the Southern Alps. You can even meet some cheeky kea or listen to the kiwi call at night. Your hosts and owners, Pete and Fi Neale, have a wealth of knowledge about the area, having holidayed in the area for the past 40+ years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Arthur's Pass Alpine Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arthur`s Pass Alpine Hotel Arthurs Pass
- Arthurs Pass Alpine Hotel