“Great atmosphere, great place, excellent food & service. Book it!”
Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
Rome, Italy
“Great atmosphere, great place, excellent food & service. Book it!”
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We found this place by surprise, and it was a really big surprise! kindness of the staff, clean rooms (with a wonderful jacuzzi on the side of our king bed), small lake-front terrace, and a really really really great restaurant.

Dinner was awesome (and free to all guests per each night) with really great service: many young guys from the hotellerie school are the 5-star-service in the restaurant.
Breakfast as well (also free of charge) was great and lake-view, couldn't ask for more.

Outside swimming pool with open-air Jacuzzi, and a nice gym with sauna. So you can also have your tan laying on the poolside.

We rented a canoe and went around in the lake for more than 3 hours.. "TO DO LIST when you're there": Rent a canoe, go to the middle of the lake, stay still for 10 minutes and enjoy the silence! you can really get back in touch with Mother Nature.

In my opinion, absolutely best place to be in the Algonquin park, also if you're not a "couple".

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
St Catharines
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I had the opportunity to spend 2 wonderful days and nights at The Couples Resort in mid September. The only negative thing I can say about it is that we were only able to spend 2 nights due to other committments.
Although we had been told that the accomodations were fantastic, they were much more luxurious that we expected. The view from our private hot tub on the patio was fantastic!
The quality and presentation of the food surpassed our expectations.
The staff was very helpful and attentive without being overbearing.
We have travelled extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, and have stayed at a number of 5 star resorts. We have also experienced different resorts in Ontario.
The Couples Resort surpassed all of our previous Ontario experiences and most of our southern vacations, including a stay at a Sandals resort last winter. If it had palm trees and tropical temperatures in February, we would probably never go south again!
The value we got was well worth the price we paid, and we will definately go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Myself and my partner just returned from a visit to The Couples Resort this Thanksgiving weekend. This was a surprise from myself to him, and I was extremely excited, so excited that even though I knew it was going to be a long five hour drive, I still went through and booked it. I opted for one of the three available 1400 sqft chateaus, the most pricey accommodations on the resort as I wanted to fully experience it.

Once we arrived I was prepared from other reviewers that the entry itself was not going to be spectacular, it was not, and it certainly did not give the feeling of luxury. Upon arrival check in was so so, I have to say the staff are not the most pleasant or attentive for the price you are paying.

Upon entry to the room, yes it was everything I expected, beautiful furnishings, private, everything you could want and more for a romantic getaway. We relaxed for a few hours and took in the views and then proceeded to get ready for our dining experience. We are both foodies who not only enjoy cooking gourmet, but also frequent many fine dining establishments.... We were both excited to see what the chef had in store for us as this was one of the MAIN reasons I chose this resort. It differed from a lot of others as it offered the romantic country rustic feel of a cottage, with five star cuisine dining. What a disappointment. The food was horrible.
The server we had was placing down the next course on our table before we had even finished the one we had, even while my partner was still chewing his food, not that we finished much- some of it was hard to swallow. Overall it felt as though we were being rushed out. I am not sure why or who would think this food was amazing!!?? It was and felt like pure cater ring, which anyone knows is usually food that is pre-cooked, and never fresh, usually lacking in flavor and is dried out. It felt like small town dining trying it's very best to be first class cuisine and it fell very short of accomplishing this.

Remember part of the reason I chose this place was due to the promised fine dining that was offered with accommodations. I am not sure where the people came from who actually enjoyed this cuisine, or if they have ever actually had a decent gourmet meal in their entire lives, but wow- what a joke the ENTIRE dining experience was, from the service 1 out of 10- to the food - 2 out of 10... to the OUTRAGEOUS wine prices- ( $73 dollars for 2 glasses of a wine that cost $21 a bottle. They KNOW it is going to be hard for guests to enjoy a supposedly fine dining experience without wanting a nice glass of wine to accompany that, and boy oh boy do they make you pay for it. Money grab. We opted to take our desserts to go to get the hell out of that place and retreat back to our room to improve our mood.

Overall I was super disappointed, so disappointed In fact, It made me sign up to this site and do a review which I have never done before in my life. Personally, If I am giving someone my hard earned dollars, I at least want service with a smile and a thank you. I did not get that here. And if I am splurging over $700 a night to stay somewhere I do expect phenomenal service on top of everything else. This definitely was not.

I WILL NEVER RETURN. In fact I am extremely saddened that I could have had a weeks all inclusive last min trip away for what I paid for this. Expensive lesson learned!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank JenniferBurke
Powassan, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I have had the pleasure of staying at Couples Resort twice, both times in a chalet, and both times our stay was perfect. There was absolutely nothing to complain about. With a hot tub, sauna, and wood-burning fireplace right in the room, along with the option of having your included meals delivered to your room, you literally do not need leave the room for anything. We opted to have our breakfast in-room, and we went to the dining room for dinner. We did the nearby horseback riding, which was fun. If you don't mind spending money, this is the place for you, as you get what you pay for. However, after doing the all-inclusive Caribbean thing several times (7 night stay/ flights/meals/drinks for less than a weekend at Couples) I can't justify spending that kind of money for a weekend. That being said, when we went here, we had limited time (my husband worked away from home at the time) so it was worth every penny. If you want to go all out, and you can afford the splurge or if you don't have the option or the time to travel out of country, then this place fits the bill.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We just returned from celebrating our anniversary with another visit to the Couples Resort. I watched the prices on the website closely for days and booked a room that I thought was a reasonable price as the prices fluctuate greatly. I am glad I booked when I did as the price increased a couple of days later by almost 150.00$. We stayed in the Exotic Jr Suite this time, Congo, which compared to the Master Suite Renoir where we stayed in last year was a little less expensive without some of the bells and whistles. For example, it is a smaller room and we did not have the satelite music channels, the large plasma tv, the dining table, or the bidet and lovely european bathroom. However, the wood burning fireplace and hot tub on the deck are all we really needed and that was what we enjoyed. The bed was very comfortable however, I left a note for the maid that the bedspread smelled like beer. Obviously someone spilled their beer, not me, and the bed spread was not cleaned and as we who travel wonder, how often do they clean those things anyway?
Our dining room experience was a step up this time with more attentive service. We were greeted by a very nice gentleman named Gorden who explained the menu and the chef's specials. We were then served by a nice young lady named Alex who was very attentive and pleasant. The food was good, not fantastic, but good. Nice and hot and the courses came at a good pace. The coffee was fresh ground and fresh perked and so good. The cheesecake with wild blueberry sauce was to die for and my hubby's Creme Brulee was delicious. But, and a big but, the wine was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. My God, what a price they charge. And of course you have to have wine. So we bit the bullet and bought a 375ml bottle for $38.00 + 15% service + HST= $49.00!! For two glasses of simple Californian Pinot. Incidentally, I used the chat line before we went to inquire if we could bring our own wine as is allowed in a lot of places and they could charge the corkage fee but they do not allow that. Too bad as I feel this is what is a most disappointing expense. But to their credit we noticed that the cofffee and juice was included this time and not charged extra which is a good idea. People don't like to be nickled and dimed. Breakfast was well served, hot and yummy, with again. good coffee in lovely big cups. The view of the lake is so nice in the dining room. You have to overlook the worn arm chairs and just enjoy the view.
A nice bonus is that I was given an hour free spa service for being a return customer but didn't have time to use it so we were told we could use it next time and will receive another hour free so that we both partake. This is a nice gesture for return guests.
The staff are very pleasant, the location is lovely, the dining is good, the rooms are nice, the wood burning fireplace is awesome, the hot tub is inviting. The drive up to Algonquin is wonderful with the fall colours. Yep, I think that we will remain repeat customers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sandytoez
netherlands
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We just returned from a 2 night getaway and as I find the trip advisor extremely helpful in determining whether I would stay at a place or not, I thought I should comment on the hotel. We stayed in the master suites and if you are looking for romantic and opulence then it is the room for you. Absolutely gorgeous! The property is lovely to hike in the woods and canoeing is a must as the lake is beautiful. The only downside is that we found the dining service well below a 5*. The food is good, the staff is friendly but it just doesn't live up to our expecation of a 5* dining room. Please bear in mind that this is our opinion and we travel quite extensively and for the price I feel we are entitled to pay for what we get. Little things are missing, such as no one pours your wine for you. Empty glasses and dirty dishes are left on your table and not cleared for the next course. Food is good but not exceptional. All in all, we did have a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ktkat59
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I just returned from an overnight stay at this resort. We have stayed at a few well reviewed and recognized hotels in ontario and this is by far the nicest. We stayed in one of the Master's suites. The room is large, tastefully decorated and the furnishings and room finish are very high end. The room was absolutely immaculate. It looked and smelled so clean we actually spent a minute looking in the places you wouldnt suspect to find somthing that had been missed and we couldnt. Very, very clean.
Upon arrival, when we entered the lobby we had a brief moment of doubt about what the rooms would be like. The decor is a little dated and the lobby facilities are small. It is clear to me that management spends its money on the guests-as it should. As i mentioned our room was fantastic.
The Madawaska river opens up wide as it approaches galeairy lake. The majority of the rooms over look the lake as it narrows into the madawaska. Because it is a long lake, the wind tends to ramp up pretty quick and the position of the resort in the narrows is ideal to shelter the rooms from the wind. Our room had a nice sized deck which was home to a 4 person hot tub and a nice pair of chairs, with table and ash tray. A nice touch was two way glass on the railing. This made it feel very private. The view was nice and relaxing and the view of the stars at night was great too. Whitney is a nice quiet town so there was no distubance from the town across the lake, no lights either which was nice.
The food was truly fantastic. I had the steak, it was seasoned and cooked to absolute percection. Room service was ordered for 7:30 and the doorbell rang at 7:29. The dinner is of a quality that i would have expected to spend 75 bucks a plate at a good restaurant and the portions were ample. Breakfast was very good also. First class.
We took advantage of the canoes which guests can use free of charge.
The canoes are ideal for a novice canoeist, but they are more of a river style canoe with a flat bottom, so when the lake gets choppy its best to leave them on the shore or stay in the narrows where the wind wont toss you around.
We enjoyed our stay very much. We feel the value is there, even though it was expensive. We will be returning to couples resort and will recommend it to our friends.
I would also like to add that; after staying at this resort I am offended by the few bad reviews i have seen. I cant conceive of how a bad review of this resort could exist. It was awesome. Go there.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Woodsywilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!