Couples Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Whitney
See available hotels
  • Room Service
Nomi Resort(Harcourt)
Pinewood Inn(Barry's Bay)
View Hotel
Ash Grove Inn Motel(Barry's Bay)
View Hotel
Mountain View Motel(Barry's Bay)
Silver Maple Motel(Haliburton)
  • Free Internet
All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and iwood burning fireplaceroom servicegames roomspa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubour honeymooncourse mealbear trailk cups
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 4, 2010

We just returned from celebrating our anniversary with another visit to the Couples Resort. I watched the prices on the website closely for days and booked a room that I thought was a reasonable price as the prices fluctuate greatly. I am glad I booked when I did as the price increased a couple of days later by almost 150.00$. We stayed in the Exotic Jr Suite this time, Congo, which compared to the Master Suite Renoir where we stayed in last year was a little less expensive without some of the bells and whistles. For example, it is a smaller room and we did not have the satelite music channels, the large plasma tv, the dining table, or the bidet and lovely european bathroom. However, the wood burning fireplace and hot tub on the deck are all we really needed and that was what we enjoyed. The bed was very comfortable however, I left a note for the maid that the bedspread smelled like beer. Obviously someone spilled their beer, not me, and the bed spread was not cleaned and as we who travel wonder, how often do they clean those things anyway?
Our dining room experience was a step up this time with more attentive service. We were greeted by a very nice gentleman named Gorden who explained the menu and the chef's specials. We were then served by a nice young lady named Alex who was very attentive and pleasant. The food was good, not fantastic, but good. Nice and hot and the courses came at a good pace. The coffee was fresh ground and fresh perked and so good. The cheesecake with wild blueberry sauce was to die for and my hubby's Creme Brulee was delicious. But, and a big but, the wine was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. My God, what a price they charge. And of course you have to have wine. So we bit the bullet and bought a 375ml bottle for $38.00 + 15% service + HST= $49.00!! For two glasses of simple Californian Pinot. Incidentally, I used the chat line before we went to inquire if we could bring our own wine as is allowed in a lot of places and they could charge the corkage fee but they do not allow that. Too bad as I feel this is what is a most disappointing expense. But to their credit we noticed that the cofffee and juice was included this time and not charged extra which is a good idea. People don't like to be nickled and dimed. Breakfast was well served, hot and yummy, with again. good coffee in lovely big cups. The view of the lake is so nice in the dining room. You have to overlook the worn arm chairs and just enjoy the view.
A nice bonus is that I was given an hour free spa service for being a return customer but didn't have time to use it so we were told we could use it next time and will receive another hour free so that we both partake. This is a nice gesture for return guests.
The staff are very pleasant, the location is lovely, the dining is good, the rooms are nice, the wood burning fireplace is awesome, the hot tub is inviting. The drive up to Algonquin is wonderful with the fall colours. Yep, I think that we will remain repeat customers.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sandytoez
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We just returned from a 2 night getaway and as I find the trip advisor extremely helpful in determining whether I would stay at a place or not, I thought I should comment on the hotel. We stayed in the master suites and if you are looking for romantic and opulence then it is the room for you. Absolutely gorgeous! The property is lovely to hike in the woods and canoeing is a must as the lake is beautiful. The only downside is that we found the dining service well below a 5*. The food is good, the staff is friendly but it just doesn't live up to our expecation of a 5* dining room. Please bear in mind that this is our opinion and we travel quite extensively and for the price I feel we are entitled to pay for what we get. Little things are missing, such as no one pours your wine for you. Empty glasses and dirty dishes are left on your table and not cleared for the next course. Food is good but not exceptional. All in all, we did have a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ktkat59
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I just returned from an overnight stay at this resort. We have stayed at a few well reviewed and recognized hotels in ontario and this is by far the nicest. We stayed in one of the Master's suites. The room is large, tastefully decorated and the furnishings and room finish are very high end. The room was absolutely immaculate. It looked and smelled so clean we actually spent a minute looking in the places you wouldnt suspect to find somthing that had been missed and we couldnt. Very, very clean.
Upon arrival, when we entered the lobby we had a brief moment of doubt about what the rooms would be like. The decor is a little dated and the lobby facilities are small. It is clear to me that management spends its money on the guests-as it should. As i mentioned our room was fantastic.
The Madawaska river opens up wide as it approaches galeairy lake. The majority of the rooms over look the lake as it narrows into the madawaska. Because it is a long lake, the wind tends to ramp up pretty quick and the position of the resort in the narrows is ideal to shelter the rooms from the wind. Our room had a nice sized deck which was home to a 4 person hot tub and a nice pair of chairs, with table and ash tray. A nice touch was two way glass on the railing. This made it feel very private. The view was nice and relaxing and the view of the stars at night was great too. Whitney is a nice quiet town so there was no distubance from the town across the lake, no lights either which was nice.
The food was truly fantastic. I had the steak, it was seasoned and cooked to absolute percection. Room service was ordered for 7:30 and the doorbell rang at 7:29. The dinner is of a quality that i would have expected to spend 75 bucks a plate at a good restaurant and the portions were ample. Breakfast was very good also. First class.
We took advantage of the canoes which guests can use free of charge.
The canoes are ideal for a novice canoeist, but they are more of a river style canoe with a flat bottom, so when the lake gets choppy its best to leave them on the shore or stay in the narrows where the wind wont toss you around.
We enjoyed our stay very much. We feel the value is there, even though it was expensive. We will be returning to couples resort and will recommend it to our friends.
I would also like to add that; after staying at this resort I am offended by the few bad reviews i have seen. I cant conceive of how a bad review of this resort could exist. It was awesome. Go there.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank Woodsywilly
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My husband and I honeymooned here in August of 2009 and returned for an anniversary weekend in August 2010. We loved both trips.

The Couples resort is located in Whitney, Ontario. It's a short drive from Algonquin park, and it's right on a small lake. The resort itself is exceptionally clean and very quiet, so if you're looking for nightlife this is definitely not for you. They have an outdoor hottub and saltwater pool as well as lots of lounge chairs for sunbathing. Like I said, you're right on the lake so you've got tons of great boating options if you're into that type of thing. They are also affiliated with "adventure stables" which offers yearround horseback riding and winter dogsledding.

The food is amazing. They have a stationary menu with a few nightly specials. There are lots of great choices. The only bad thing was that alcohol was not included, it was added to your tab at the end of your stay, but I do think that is pretty typical of Canadian resorts.

They also offer amazing spa services, an games and billiard room, hiking trails, bike and ATV rentals, Pontoon trips, and a gym and sauna.

If you are looking to relax with a loved one in a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere, with amazing food and friendly service- this is the right place for you. However, if you are looking for a fun getaway with lots of drinks, dancing, bars, and social gatherings, you should probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerrilucko
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We went to couples resort for our 27th wedding anniversary. The Orion Chateau we stayed in was more then I could imagine. The best architectural features were used to create this accommodation; It was opulent. The food was excellent and the service second to none.
Two nights away felt like a week. I recommend that you upgrade your accommodation; it's worth it. Heaven must be like this!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple