“Rooms 5* but not dining”
Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
netherlands
“Rooms 5* but not dining”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We just returned from a 2 night getaway and as I find the trip advisor extremely helpful in determining whether I would stay at a place or not, I thought I should comment on the hotel. We stayed in the master suites and if you are looking for romantic and opulence then it is the room for you. Absolutely gorgeous! The property is lovely to hike in the woods and canoeing is a must as the lake is beautiful. The only downside is that we found the dining service well below a 5*. The food is good, the staff is friendly but it just doesn't live up to our expecation of a 5* dining room. Please bear in mind that this is our opinion and we travel quite extensively and for the price I feel we are entitled to pay for what we get. Little things are missing, such as no one pours your wine for you. Empty glasses and dirty dishes are left on your table and not cleared for the next course. Food is good but not exceptional. All in all, we did have a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ktkat59

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I just returned from an overnight stay at this resort. We have stayed at a few well reviewed and recognized hotels in ontario and this is by far the nicest. We stayed in one of the Master's suites. The room is large, tastefully decorated and the furnishings and room finish are very high end. The room was absolutely immaculate. It looked and smelled so clean we actually spent a minute looking in the places you wouldnt suspect to find somthing that had been missed and we couldnt. Very, very clean.
Upon arrival, when we entered the lobby we had a brief moment of doubt about what the rooms would be like. The decor is a little dated and the lobby facilities are small. It is clear to me that management spends its money on the guests-as it should. As i mentioned our room was fantastic.
The Madawaska river opens up wide as it approaches galeairy lake. The majority of the rooms over look the lake as it narrows into the madawaska. Because it is a long lake, the wind tends to ramp up pretty quick and the position of the resort in the narrows is ideal to shelter the rooms from the wind. Our room had a nice sized deck which was home to a 4 person hot tub and a nice pair of chairs, with table and ash tray. A nice touch was two way glass on the railing. This made it feel very private. The view was nice and relaxing and the view of the stars at night was great too. Whitney is a nice quiet town so there was no distubance from the town across the lake, no lights either which was nice.
The food was truly fantastic. I had the steak, it was seasoned and cooked to absolute percection. Room service was ordered for 7:30 and the doorbell rang at 7:29. The dinner is of a quality that i would have expected to spend 75 bucks a plate at a good restaurant and the portions were ample. Breakfast was very good also. First class.
We took advantage of the canoes which guests can use free of charge.
The canoes are ideal for a novice canoeist, but they are more of a river style canoe with a flat bottom, so when the lake gets choppy its best to leave them on the shore or stay in the narrows where the wind wont toss you around.
We enjoyed our stay very much. We feel the value is there, even though it was expensive. We will be returning to couples resort and will recommend it to our friends.
I would also like to add that; after staying at this resort I am offended by the few bad reviews i have seen. I cant conceive of how a bad review of this resort could exist. It was awesome. Go there.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Woodsywilly
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My husband and I honeymooned here in August of 2009 and returned for an anniversary weekend in August 2010. We loved both trips.

The Couples resort is located in Whitney, Ontario. It's a short drive from Algonquin park, and it's right on a small lake. The resort itself is exceptionally clean and very quiet, so if you're looking for nightlife this is definitely not for you. They have an outdoor hottub and saltwater pool as well as lots of lounge chairs for sunbathing. Like I said, you're right on the lake so you've got tons of great boating options if you're into that type of thing. They are also affiliated with "adventure stables" which offers yearround horseback riding and winter dogsledding.

The food is amazing. They have a stationary menu with a few nightly specials. There are lots of great choices. The only bad thing was that alcohol was not included, it was added to your tab at the end of your stay, but I do think that is pretty typical of Canadian resorts.

They also offer amazing spa services, an games and billiard room, hiking trails, bike and ATV rentals, Pontoon trips, and a gym and sauna.

If you are looking to relax with a loved one in a beautiful and peaceful atmosphere, with amazing food and friendly service- this is the right place for you. However, if you are looking for a fun getaway with lots of drinks, dancing, bars, and social gatherings, you should probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kerrilucko
SW, Ontario
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We went to couples resort for our 27th wedding anniversary. The Orion Chateau we stayed in was more then I could imagine. The best architectural features were used to create this accommodation; It was opulent. The food was excellent and the service second to none.
Two nights away felt like a week. I recommend that you upgrade your accommodation; it's worth it. Heaven must be like this!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ResorTraveller
London UK
Reviewed August 30, 2010

When we made our booking we were informed that all the lakeside accommodation (for two couples) was fully booked and we were offered to stay in Adventure Lodge nearby which we accepted.

When we arrived we were disappointed with the standard of the cabins and the site location
which is over a mile from the Couples Resort facilities, beyond Whitney and across the main highway. We realised that we had made a big mistake in accepting Adventure Lodge particularly as it is close to the local sanitation depot and, contrary to the resort's printed information, is available for children to stay.

I was preparing myself to complain to the management as I felt we had been seriously misled but 2 hours after our arrival we were informed that we could be up-graded to two lakeside spa villas at no additional cost. We re-packed our bags and hurriedly drove back to the resort so that we did not miss the time we had been given (no choice) for dinner.

The new accommodation was a great improvement and included sauna, jacuzzi and shower/steam room and effective air conditioning, more like the 5-star standard we were expecting although we could not see why there was a step across the room - very hazardous in the middle of the night.

Neither could we understand why we were offered the spa villas after we had been informed that all were fully booked. We were told that this was because there were several families with children staying at the resort. This made no sense at all; firstly, according to the resort guide Couples Resort is child free and secondly, what happened to the guests we were replacing? We suspect that the management have a policy of reserving the best accommodation until the last minute but this is no way to run a 5-star establishment.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was very good, but not truly oustanding.
On the second evening the dining room service was a little slow and the room was very hot.
The waitress said this was because they had only just turned on the air conditioning! The facilities on offer are good especially the sunset cruise on the lake, seeing the birds and listening for the wolves but most have to be paid for.

Only after making our reservation did we see on the e-mail confirmation of booking that an extra C$30 Carbon Offset Eco Fee had been added to our account. This caused us to be wary of extra charges and our suspicions were justified in due course, ie. C$10 charged for a second cooked course at breakfast. Other 5-star establishments often offer a lavish extensive buffet breakfast with a much larger choice and nobody is counting. A charge was also made for renting two bicycles for one hour, all plus tax and plus 15 per cent service charge. Is this supposed to be a fully inclusive resort or not?

This is not a 5-star resort, except for the prices. My wife and I were charged C$1,266 for a two night stay including breakfast and evening dinner and based on Adventure Lodge room rates. The resort does not have the air or ambience of a 5-star establishment. It has obviously grown in an ad hoc fashion over the years with no design focus or concept. It is just a series of very ordinary timber buildings and sheds with pretensions positioned alongside a lake.

One does not want to be over-critical as it is a pleasant place to stay and in an attractive location but at best 4-star would be a more realistic assessment, apart from the Adventure Lodge which, like the owner's paintings, should be avoided.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank jpbad
Port Hope, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Let me start by saying I couldn't disagree more with "World Seeker from Waterloo". My husband and I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and throughout North America, always staying at 5 Star resorts. We have also cruised with Celebrity. In comparison with all our travels, Couples is definitely a 5 Star resort. This was our 24th visit and we have been going to Couples for 17 years. We find this place magical as it is so serene and peaceful. The rooms are rustic but beautifully done and we have stayed in them all. This time we stayed in my favourite a little cabin with its own hot tub on the deck and just 30 feet from the waters edge. This cabin is called "Rhea" and the view of the lake is stunning. If you are looking for something fancy, the Master Suites have all the bells and whistles. We stay in them when we go up in the winter as we like to use the sauna. The food is always excellent and there are chef specials that change nightly, and the whole menu changes with the seasons so there is lots of variety. At breakfast the eggs benedict is the best that I have ever had, and I love the Belgian waffles with fruit and cream. You can even get room service for breakfast (we enjoy it sitting on the deck overlooking the lake). We went ATVing for half a day and had a blast. I also had a blueberry scrub and a hot stone massage that was amazing. If you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway and you like northern Ontario, I guaranty you will love this place. It is just perfect and that is why I call it my "FAVOURITE PLACE ON EARTH".

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Maggie B.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maggitoronto
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We are a couple in our 40's that wanted a getaway without childen so we thought that the Couples Resort would be perfect ... We are going to give this review honestly...

The resort (which technically is not a resort at all) is situated on a man made lake with no view.
The salt pool was a steaming, uncomfortable 88 degrees ~ too hot for July weather.
The dining room needs a major overhaul ~ the chairs are on their last legs as well as torn fabric and food stains.
THE MENU IS THE SAME EVERY SINGLE DAY (breakfast & dinner)
If people think this is 5 star gourmet dining, than they have never been anywhere in their life -- maybe 5 star for Whitney, Ontario -- we actually did not attend dinner and breakfast after our 2nd night there ...
The resort was so quiet inside and out ... we felt so uncomfortable whispering the whole time.
If you wanted to do some extra curricular activities than you might as well pull out your pocket book and grab that brown bill or credit card ... they charge you for everything and its super, super expensive.
The rooms where nice (some super fancy) but the price is outrageous!
Gurtrude's Art Gallery is a joke - tiny and very messy.
We truly are disappointed with this place especially when we spent a lot of money for the 5 days we were there. We did not expect it to be the way it is. We were not looking for a party place but my God it was like spending 5 days with the walking dead.
I would never, ever recommend Couples Resort / Adventure Lodge to anyone, ever.
My husband and I still scratch our heads wondering why some people found this resort so amazing??? The only thing is that maybe these people are beginner travellers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
21 Thank W0rldSeekers
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and commenting on our 5 STAR Couples Resort. Our couples come to this Resort for time together, 1 on 1, and we have purposefully designed many elements of the Resort amenities, facilities and flow to compliment this strategy of ours. We design as much as possible to benefit time together as a couple without distractions and in this I trust we are successful. Many of our accommodations are even designed to be super spoiling even if the weather is miserable outside. All we know for sure is that people are different and what some people love about this place with peace and quiet are what drives others mad. We think that you would have had a far better experience at Couples Resort in Jamaica which is designed for far more interaction amongst its couples. Our Galeairy Lake is 11km long and 30 Meters deep with 90% of it in Algonquin Park which is zoned a “do not have any human alterations to its land” area. Not very man made, except for maybe the top 5% from a small dam. There are incredible views on this lake that rival any views anywhere in the world, not better, but in my opinion just as breathtaking, and many of our guests agree. TIP: early morning canoe to see the mist rise off the lake as a loon swims by your paddle. The pool we turned down to 85’F with a better more accurate control, which is what we always shot for. In July the lake is usually 75’F and perfect for swimming if you like a little cooler, certainly this is my preference in the Summer.The brand New dining room, for you will still look like the Golden Years, no matter that it is brand new. Few in the world will be so lucky to have Golden Years so well appointed. Italian full cushioned arm chairs with the finest fabrics, Danish designed wool carpets, American Oak wall and ceiling finishes in a Tudor Style and 2 walls finished in floor to ceiling windows overlooking pristine Galeairy lake. Yes and the Dining Room is still 5 Star and 1st Class with white linen table clothes, the finest German porcelain to eat off of, Silver Plated cutlery, Crystal glass ware, and the appropriate service from Maitre d, to Sommelier, to a full service and full kitchen brigade. Our Kitchen Brigade does offer a menu that is fixed with a large multiple of choices for breakfast and dinner and it also offers daily specials for dinner so I am not sure why you did not find it enough, it seems to please so many guests. I know of better restaurants, but our guests do not want to pay for that kind of Michelin Dining Experience, but I know we are still 5 Star. You will be happy to know that we are All-Inclusive, see website for details. I wish we could be lower priced. Do you know if I could move our Resort to New York State I could cut my staff cost in half or about 1 Million Dollars, just because their minimum wage is ½ of our minimum wage. I would love to reduce everyone’s bill with that money or include even more: like free alcohol, free spa and free horse riding. Imagine if I could move to Jamaica or Mexico how much more I could cut wages to benefit you. Until then be patient with us, we are in Canada and doing what we can. Thank you for acknowledging our incredible accommodations, which is one of our specialties, and greatly contributes to the cost of staying here. The energy and water that each unit consumes is staggering, and that is very difficult for guests to understand that this is not a free input or free output for us. Thank you for commenting on my mother, Gertrude, as an artist. To comment on her Art Gallery being a joke is to comment on the Artist herself. She has been at it now since she was 50 and now has 34 years under her belt. She has started Art programs in the local high school, started the showing of Art in Algonquin park in their visitors Centre (this month she is receiving a plaque for starting it 20 years ago) and in their West Side Art Gallery and she has been a Juried winner. I know of no expressionist or nature artist that is neat. She would have been 82 when you were in her Studio, and I hope you treat your mother with more respect. I do know that my mother did come to Whitney with her Husband and 4 young children 2 months to 9 years of age to buy a small fishing and hunting lodge with 7 cabins. Then they, together, went to work and created a lodge with 30% European business and catering to 100 guests, no joke. Gertrude still welcomes guests to chat with her in her studio and she is always thrilled when a guest buys one of her colourful nature oil paintings. We are comparatively still dead and maybe one day you will be thankful we exist and will join us again. Sorry we were not a perfect match for you and I wish you and your partner all the best in your Travels and in your Health and Happiness.
Sincerely Yours – JohnS-Owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!