“Absolutely Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

My husband and I (ages 37 and 38) just returned from Bear Trail on the 10th of March. We were there for 3 nights; from Thursday through Sunday, and I have to say this was an amazing 3-day getaway.
We stayed in one of the Master Suites. Too many amenities in this room to list (their website lists all of it, or you can phone and front desk will tell you all about their rooms). We figured we'd spend the money and go all out for us for a change, and we were happy we did.
The service and the food were excellent for room service and for the dinning room.
The x-country skiing was fantastic, and so were the trails for snow shoeing. The equipment we rented from the ski hut was in good condition.
The resort includes breakfast and dinner, so you may like to pack some munchies or fruit for in your room in case you are hungry in the mid-afternoon. Lunch can also be ordered in the dinning room in case you need it.
The staff are extremely accommodating to any request we had.
I have absolutely no complaints - in fact, our stay was much better than we had expected!
I have been to several 5 star resorts in the Caribbean, and would have to say that I think that 3 days at Bear Trail was more enjoyable and more relaxing and more pampering than 3 days in the sunny south.
We will definitely be back next winter!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — That I didn't find out about this place sooner!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joy27

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Marmora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the bear trail Feb 25th and we have been on a cloud 9 since our return. We were first there for our honeymoon in 2003 and we loved it then, but thought we should go somewhere else for a change. We don't get away often seeing we have a little one at home and we both work different shifts - WE ARE SO GLAD WE WENT BACK!!!
We stayed in the master suites - Gaugin.
I can't even begin to tell you how luxurious it was. We felt like royalty. The master suites are a must. They have the toilet/bidet room seperate from the double vanity sink with a dressing table for the ladies! The shower along with most of everything in the bathroom was a beautiful marble. It is a euro shower and also a steam shower (we loved that). The suite has an indoor jacuzzi as well as an private outdoor hotub on the private baclony, overlooking the crisp, white snow. The bed was incredible in this suite - very comfortable especially if you love down filled like we do. It had a huge slate fireplace and a 52" flat panel tv (my husband loved that)! We had our own little sitting area, which we enjoyed a nice bottle of wine while we were getting ready for dinner. We signed up for the last seating at 8:oo pm - that way we got to enjoy more of our room.
The food has improved 300% since 2003. My husband agrees with me that it was the best meal we have had in a really long time. Wine is a little pricy, but they have to make their $$ somehow.
We were very impressed when we ariived by noon and registered to go cross country skiing we also found our that our room was available - THIS MADE OUR TRIP.

The service was awesome, very friendly and helpful. Kelly in the dining room is super.

As for the cross country skiing - there isn't much winter left, but I highly recommend that if you are even a little but interested in skiing you have to go. The trails through the park were the best I have ever skied on and I can't wait to go back next winter to partake in it all again!

Have fun - we sure did. If you are looking to put a little spark back in your relationship, this is sure the place to accomplish that.

• Liked — We loved the more than luxurious accommodation in the masters suites
  • Disliked — They need to be sure to clean under vanities and in the main foyers to the suites (first appearances)
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gullage2007
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2007

We stayed in a Junior Suite from January 14-19, 2007. We had a great time!!! The resort is quite homey. The rooms were very clean and useful. The bed was TERRIFIC!!! We had fires in our fireplace everyday(plenty of firewood) and jacuzzi's also(too shallow for our taste but we still used it). The staff was very helpful, although the front desk was very rehearsed. We took advantage of the free DVD rental, the horseback riding as well as the dog sledding and had a terrific time. The staff at the farm was SUPER FRIENDLY. Our only concern was for the dogs(we have a dog at home) being fed NONAME Loblaws dog food, which seemed to go through their systems very poorly(smelly and sloppy). Better food should be provided for the dogs, although the horses appeared to be well maintained. The food was GREAT!!!!! Lots of selections and no rush to finish your dinner quickly. The dinner staff was polite and friendly. We played in the games room several nights also. Got extra pillows when we asked for them. We took advantage of the room service feature(at no extra expense) every morning for breakfast. The food arrived EXACTLY on time every day and piping hot. NOTHING was incorrect. We truly enjoyed ourselves and have recommended it already to many people. We plan to return in the fall. If you have any questions about this resort, please ask. I will be very honest. Email me at erin@scrapartistdesign.com

• Liked — quiet
  • Disliked — not isolated enough
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank fostermom
Oshawa Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2007

My wife and I spent our honeymoon of September 2005 at Bear trail resort.It was our second trip to Bear trail because I had proposed to my wife a year and a half earlier and had a really
( mostly ) good experience there.The first time we had the woodland Cedar room I think it's called? Oh well...not matter ....it was small but had a full size hot tub in it with a wood burning fireplace right beside it ! Very romantic ! However I had requested and even offered to pay for an early check in so I could pop the question early and have some afternoon fun and enjoy a nice dinner within the set times they make you conform to for meals.Long story short.....they acted like they did not know what the hell I was talking about when I arrived at 2 PM and even made us wait till after four o'clock before we could have the room.But thte rest of that stay was incredible so I wrote it off and was generally impressed with everything the resort had to offer.So we booked Bear trail again for our honeymoon.We decided on the "Exotic Room " this time.It is away from the main lodge and about a 3-4 min walk to the main lodge.The room was incredible !!!!! Very spacious adn had a large in-room jaquzzi and huge bed and the furnishings were all top notch.Our deck had a full size hot tub on it looking over the lake.This was the main reason we booked this suite.So our vaction begins.We were given a very expensive bottle of champagne for a wedding gift and we decided to get right in the hot tub and crack it open as soon as we had unpacked.Well this incident which I am about to describe happened two or thre times a day over our stay until the hot tub totally broke down on our last full day there.We were just begining to enjoy our bubbly and the nice hot tub and the view when all the sudden the power goes out.So with no phone's in the room ( apparently for your privacy ) I dry off get dressed and take the walk up to the main lodge to request maintanence look at this.She said she would send somebody right away.....they showed up about half an hour later and it turns out that it is just a breaker that trips and they reset it.Like I said.....this happened EVERY DAY two or three times !!!! Everything else during the week was good ....but as the week wore on ...and with us spending a considerable amount of time in the hot tub ( after all...this is why we booked the room !!!! ) the constant trip to the main lodge every time the breaker went off was really starting to bother me.Nobody from the resort other than the maintanence staff ever talked to us about it ( you think when a. we are on our honeymoon and b. we are paying $ 500.00 a night for this room ) that management might take an interest in this problem and address it.But we soldiered on and vowed to not let small things like this ruin our stay.But on the last full day we were there we were having a hot tub in the morning waiting for our room service for breakfast when just the tub this time quit all together.Well the result of this was being told by the maintanence staff who we were on a first name basis with by this time that they were not sure tjhat they could fix it today ....but were going to try....right in the middle of your in-room meal !!!! I decided since hey......we are paying $ 500.00 a night for this place that I would politely mention the problems we had been having...and who knows...probably get a free night or something.WOW.....was I wrong.People understand this about Bear Trail ......it is a family run resort. Everybody at tthe front desk is either a family member or somehow affliated with them.The woman who I delt with I swear to god.....if it had not been our honeymoon and out of respect for my wife and the other giests that were coming and going I would have lept over the desk and slapped this woman !!!! She made ME feel like I was being unreasonalbe by asking if anything could be done.After this....she finally asks me if we would lke to be moved...well I said obvioulsy if the hot tub is out of service for the rest of the day....so she agree'd ...but could not get us there before 1 pm, it was 11 am at the time.So I grit my teeth and agree'd.We went for a walk and again tried to forget about all this.When we returned.....hey.....they had fixed it and all was well.Cool...we could carry on with the rest of our day.So we go to the main lodge a little later to get some tennis raquets.There I encounter my friend behind the desk again....she says now ( it's not 1:30 pm ) oh.....you can move to that room now sir.I said ....not thanks...the guys were able to fix us up so it won't be necessary.I thought it would have been impossible to be any more disrespectfull of a customer as she was at first when I delt with her....I was wrong again.....she rolled her eyes and gave me a very loud tisk !!! You said you wanted to be moved and now you are telling me you are not moving....again......shaking hands .....temperature in my face is rising....good thing my wife was there to calm me down.So we left with no compensation for our troubles all week with our room and payed full price and when we checked out the girl id not even ask if we enjoyed our stay !!!!! We left and decided to write a scathing letter to management about our experince.So about a week later I log on to find the section to do this and document everything in detail about our two trips there and how my brother and his wife have been there a couple of time and would be interested in how they were going to deal with this issue.You are not ging to beleive this....but guesss who answers my letter ......my good friend from the front desk that day !!!!!!! Carried on about not fully understanding what I was telling her and that customer satisfaction is her top priority and she would forward my letter to the vice prsident of the resort.Almost two years later I still have not heard back from anyone associated with Bear Trail ! So beware people.....it's a great place as long as nothing goes wrong......if it does.....sadly they look at it like....oh well ...roll the dice you take your chances !! Not what you would expect from a resort that claims it is five star in every aspect !!

• Liked — Room type
  • Disliked — nothing .......accomdation was awesome
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware of the front desk staff.....very non-interseted once you pay to stay !
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Pappy67
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

I paid $255.00 to stay for one night in a junior suite at the Bear Trail Resort in Algonquin, Ontario on Sunday, September 24, 2006. For this price, I was promised (among other amenities) use of an in-room Jacuzzi, TV, DVD, and ensuite bathroom. Upon my arrival at the resort I was mortified to find out that, due to a blackout, they did not have any electricity or water available. I was told I would not be able use any of these amenities that I had paid for and they could not even vacuum my room.

My boyfriend and I drove almost 5 hours in the pouring rain, and even took time off work to stay at the Bear Trail Couples Resort as a special treat for his birthday. For all the time/effort/money/mileage we wasted in order to spend just one night there, this is the Bear Trail’s laughable compensation for the “inconvenience:”

- Since we had no power or water in our room, we would be provided a COMPLIMENTARY BUCKET OF WATER TO FLUSH THE TOILET.
- If the power and water did not return by 8pm, we would only get 10% off our bill
- If the power and water did not return by 10pm, we would only get 20% off our bill
- If the power and water did not return by midnight, we would only get 30% off our bill
- If the power and water did not return by 8am the next day (keep in mind checkout is at 11am), we would only get 50% off our bill.

I did not think this was acceptable or even REASONABLE to pay over $100.00 to sleep in these conditions, so we decided to request a refund and return home. I was told that the money would be credited to my visa the next day, and when I asked for a receipt to document this, the “manager” was very rude and condescending, and asked “what was my concern” with not having a receipt. ALL I WANTED WAS A RECEIPT!!!!

We also asked if we could rebook a Saturday for the same Sunday rate because we felt EXTREMELY inconvenienced, and my boyfriend could not afford to take another day off. THE “MANAGER” PROMISED TO LOOK INTO IT AND CALL US BACK THE NEXT DAY. WE WAITED ALL DAY FOR A CALL AND NEVER RECEIVED ONE. Finally after 8pm, we decided to call the resort. The same “manager” told us she could not grant our request, and not only that, we were “lucky” we were not charged a cancellation fee for leaving!!! When my boyfriend asked to contact the owner, she blurted out the email address quickly so that he would not be able to write it down, and then RUDELY HUNG UP ON HIM!!

Bear Trial Couples Resort boasts that it is a luxury accommodation, but what kind of luxury accommodation asks their guests to flush the toilets with buckets of water and has staff that treats the customers so rudely? This is not the first time this has happened as you can see from another review on tripadvisor in Sept 2005. Who knows how many more times this has happened, and how often it will happen again? I'm certainly not willing to take the gamble again. If you’re in the mood to sleep somewhere with no power or water, skip the bear trail resort and go camping. You’ll save yourself hundreds of dollars and you won’t be treated like garbage.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
22 Thank april_liza
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your letter April Liza. Since your stay with us, you have helped us make a Better Power Outage Policy and Add $200,000 in Upgrades to our Power and Water Systems. Power Outages never affect the Romance of the Resort as all accommodations have wood burning fireplaces, and it is these fireplaces that bring many customers to us compared to resorts with gas fired fireplaces. Power Outages never affect the quality of food we serve in the Dining Room. We use propane for cooking and we have full generator power to cover everything else in the kitchen and dining room. Some of our Guests think the Evening Dinner Experience is the main reason to come to the Couples Resort, while yet others think it is the Romance while some think it is both. New Generator Power also covers cold running water to All the accommodations and toilets. In addition to those new generators most of the money went to underground infrastructure to connect all the cabins and buildings together for water. It is extremely rare that we have a power outage at our Resort longer than 4 hours, usually once every 2 years, which is similar, we have found to Toronto. Although we say never, we do pray that we are not hit with a mini tornado or forest fire which would definitely cause a terrible stay. As you can see from our new policy below, since power was out the whole time you were here and you couldn’t use the toys, we owe you a free night for 2. Sorry we still have 2 night restrictions on Saturday stays (unless you call us 2 days before that Saturday to see if there is still space). Thank you for being a valuable contributor to better guest experiences- johnS-Owner P.S Our staff were just following rules at the time, we only break rules when everyone can benefit at the same time as we do not play to exceptions…it is one of our principles.

New Power Outage Policy:

· We will try to update the home page of our website to tell when we are up again.

· If there is a power outage we will try to notify guests. If we are successful the deposit will be refunded if desired.

· If guests arrive or if a power outage happens while guests are here, we will offer:

o If power goes out for two hours between 4pm and 11pm: 10% off

o If power goes out for three hours between 8pm and 11pm: 20% off

o If power goes out for four hours between 7pm and 11pm: 30% off

o If power goes out for five hours between 6pm and 11pm: 35% off and one free night stay in the future, similar accommodation

o Power outages after 11pm through to 4pm will have no discount attached
St. Catharines, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2006

We stayed at Bear Trail for 3 nights in August for our anniversary. I was a little disappointed that the resort was not secluded, but rather on a narrow lake with homes all around. I had envisioned looking out at wilderness from my deck, not at residential. The resort is quite nice. Our room was a good size, we had an 'exotic' but it was a little tired looking and our hot tub cover was badly ripped. I expect everything to be in good repair when paying $500. a night. The dining room was very nice and the meals were quite good, not gourmet as advertised; but tasty. Breakfast was exceptional. We will probably not go back, but we did enjoy our stay.

• Liked — Quiet and no children.
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dg59
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2006

The Bear Trail Resort ( the Resort ) is about 5 km east of the East Gate entrance to the Algonquin Park ( the Park ). We were visiting the Park at the end of September and decided to try the Resort for a few days.
The Resort's ground is very well kept and because of its lake front location the panoramic view of the suroundings is magnificient. The complex is hugh and has many individual chalets and cabins spreading out over a sprawling pasture; it is very quiet because it is for couples only and when fully booked it only has 48 couples.
The Resort website explains quite clearly what is available, what is included ( pretty much everything such as bottled water and non-alcoholic drinks ) and what is optional.
We stayed in the Main Lodge room. It is quite spacious for a couple. It does not has a mini bar but there is a fridge for your own stuffs. It even has a jacuzzi and a wood burning fire place. The room decor is interesting; it has a quasi Victorian look. However since the Resort has been opened for quite some years, the room's interior does show its age. The bed is comfortable and the surrounding is quiet; a restful sleep is not a concern.
The dinning room is cozy and warm. The decor is simple but tasteful. The servers are competant and friendly. During our stay we were served on 2 occasions by trainees. We had some interesting experiences with them; those were just minor glitches. The menu was good and the food was adequate. However, the bread was not fresh and cold. In contrast to an earlier reviewer about the heavy handedness on the amount of sauces, we did not find such is the case. However most of the sauces were sugary tasting. Try the grilled atlantic salmon, a special of the day dish; it was fantastic and very nicely done. The deserts are calory watcher's nightmare. But they are good.
To burn off those calories there are the gym room, sauna room, water sport equipments, bicycles, and a 2.7 km easy walking trail right in the resort complex; you don't even have to go to the Park.
You can also sit on the deck which is overlooking the Glenairy Lake or by the pool side; do some serious reading. If you want a drink just ring the bell and someone will appear. (Although we have not tried that but that's what the sign says) You can be as active or as relaxing as you want. And it is absolutely quiet.
The Resort office closes after 10:30pm. There is a large collection of DVD movies and 2 DVDs can be signed out per day with a 24 hours turn around time.
Overall, we have had a pleasant stay at the Resort. We didn't feel that we were "pampered" like the website says, but probably we didn't really try to be pampered. Would we go back again in the future? Most likely.

• Tips/Secrets — Avoid the black fly season
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Vegemity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#10 of 19 in Barrie
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!