Couples Resort
$62
Nomi Resort(Harcourt)
$100
Mountain View Motel(Barry's Bay)(Great Value!)
$69
$113
$89
$61
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Pinewood Inn(Barry's Bay)
TripAdvisor
Little Hawk Resort & Marina(Algonquin Highlands)
  • Beachfront
All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and iwood burning fireplaceroom servicegames roomspa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubour honeymooncourse mealbear trailk cups
Reviewed May 25, 2014

First off I read quite a few of the reviews on here and I was guarded, but I will say this place was fantastic. We just returned from the weekend, which went very smooth and was very relaxing. We arrived on Friday and we were greeted by Deborah at the front desk who explained everything to us including where to find everything and to make our reservations and what was available for extra activities. We had decided that we were going to have dinner in our room the first night after the long drive which was no issue at all. We made all our reservations at the bar and headed to our room, totally hassle free. Room was great, I have seen other posters call it dated and rustic, to which my husband and I both thought rustic seems to be what the resort is going for considering how close it is to Algonquin. I also read some other reviews stating this resort is not 5 star, but I've stay in other 5 star resorts including Sandals and the rating of 5 star is typically not based on the amount of marble and granite a place has but its attention to detail and amenities.

The wood burning fireplace was fully stocked, the shampoo, conditioners and soaps were more than adequate, water, tea, coffee included in the mini fridge, there was bug spray for us to use and an umbrella in the closet in case of rain, extra towels just for the pool and bathrobes. The salt water pool was 92! That was fantastic. We went canoeing, kayaking, biking, used the in room Jacuzzi, the paddle boats, badminton and tennis.

The food for each meal was fantastic, highly recommend getting the baked brie starter, we both had it twice. We also had Derek as a server twice, and he's very attentive and we had fun. On the way out we ran into the owner who thanked us for coming and took time to explain more about the resort. We will defiantly be returning, likely in the fall. This time of year the blackflies can be a bit much but like I said there was bug spray in the room which helped. We stayed at a Jr suite which was great and I never felt like we didn't have privacy, we were also on the ground floor which made going over to the sports centre easy, the woman working there was very nice. We normally go to Niagara to the Hilton or Embassy but after the service I received at those places the last time I was there I think this is a great new switch for us, and funny those rooms are the same price plus you have to buy food and a bottle of water is $8.00.

A few more things, the bed in our room as amazing! I haven't slept like that in a long time. The TV was huge, we had high speed internet that did no disappoint, easy Wifi access, but seriously, we didn't use the computer much, we were busy enough and I loved the alone time. We may consider upgrading to a smaller cabin the next time, just because I like to branch, and not for anything else.

I've also seen other complain about the dress code, which was explained to us upon booking, with a confirmation email and upon arrival, so how anyone could say they missed that I have no idea! I for one love to dress up now and then for dinner, its fun, my husband on he other hand not so much, which is another reason why we did dinner in our room one night, its a great compromise and the quality of the food was not effected. The other part of that is they do not charge for room service!

Next time we plan on staying longer and taking advantage of going around some local shops as well, lots of hidden gems in the area, plus Algonquin's hiking trails, which the resort has passes for guests as well.

Thanks again and can't wait to be back!

Room Tip: Ground floor great for easy access, the third floor for more privacy!
2  Thank OntarioGirl19
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thanks for the review. We appreciate that you came to see for yourself in spite of being somewhat guarded because of a few bad reviews. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the value in all that we are able to include in your price. We look forward to seeing you again. And as a return guest, you will be able to enjoy a free one hour spa treatment. Be sure to book this in advance of your arrival dates, as the spa can be very busy.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

A fantastic experience from check-in to check-out. My husband and I spent two nights in a Junior Suite and the room was gorgeous; stone fireplace, steam shower, jacuzzi bathtub, king feather bed, private hot tub on the terrace with a great view of the lake. Our dining experience was top notch. Arriving after a long day of travel, we opted for room service which was great, but the highlight was our formal evening in the dining room. The food was excellent (best beets ever!), as was the service. We took advantage of the Algonquin Park Pass perk and the staff's suggestion to hike Booth's Rock Trail and enjoyed the breathtaking vistas and majestic forest. All of the staff were friendly, welcoming and professional. We must take advantage of the spa services next time. An intimate, cozy, serene experience in a beautiful natural setting. We will most definitely return to this gem of a resort.

Room Tip: If it's in the budget, the chateau's are out of this world!
1  Thank Lisa F
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Glad to hear your experience was so fantastic. And that you will be returning and taking advantage of the spa. As a repeat guest you will be receiving a free one hour spa treatment. Be sure to book in advance. And we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Really had a nice relaxing getaway. Have being wanting to try it for some time as my sister-in-law raves about Couples Resort and has visited many times. This year my husband and I were celebrating our 22nd Anniversary and booked a Villa. We are planning on returning in October or November we had such a good experience. Checked out the Masters suite and are planning on staying in one of those rooms next visit as it has everything we require. Food was scrumptious and room service punctual. We had lots of privacy and quiet time. The only thing that I found disappointing was that in the dining room they didn't adorn the tables with real flowers in the vases but the service and food were excellent.

1  Thank mamdove M
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

So very glad that your sister talked you into trying The Couples Resort. I am thrilled that your Anniversary was made even more special with such a good experience. It is awesome that you had the chance to see the other room styles and choose the Master for your fall stay. You will love the hot tub on the cool nights

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Beginning with a hassle free check in, relaxed atmosphere..all of the time, warm and welcoming accommodations, friendly staff. My husband and I spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon. We were in a Masters' Suite, with a private hot tub on the deck. We fell in love with having a hot tub that's for sure! The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in too :) The peace of the surroundings is the cherry on top! We've booked our return trip and can't wait!!!

Room Tip: The Juniors' Suites do not have private hot tubs!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

So glad that all was to your liking. The Master's are certainly the most luxurious rooms in Canada so we are glad you could spend your Honeymoon in them, Congratulations! Be sure to call in advance of your next arrival to book your free spa treatment. All accommodations have in-room double Jacuzzi, but the Hot Tubs are special on the Master's, Exotics, Chateaus and Chalets and they certainly can become something that is a must have for every stay. So glad you like it.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Recently returned from couples resort and had a truly amazing time! I have been wanting to stay at the resort for some time now and finally went with my boyfriend. No disappointment here...well above our expectations. Perfect get away for couples who want to reconnect, get intimate and have a truly romantic experience.
We were also pleasantly surprised to have stayed in Chateau Lyra....totally mesmerized when we first walked in. We enjoyed all the amenities from the hot tub on the deck...under the stars at night...and the bathroom was like a little spa with the steam shower and sauna....sooo relaxing. The Jacuzzi next to the comfortable king size bed with the 2 sided fireplace...as could be viewed from the bedroom or living room.....and not an electric fireplace...but a roaring fire with a pleasant aroma throughout.
All the staff that we encountered during our stay were so professional and attentive and just couldn't do enough for you. We definately felt pampered during our entire stay. Unfortanately we did not take in their spa services , yet we plan on it the next time we go....will definately return...such wonderful memories. We thank you all for making our stay so wonderful !
Any complaints or negative reviews.....I would have to say that they are people who are only looking for faults(as there are none) and probably came to the resort with the wrong partner....!!!!

1  Thank Leila P
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thanks so much for your review. We are thrilled that you had a truly romantic stay... even without the spa. Remember, as a return guest you will get one free one hour spa treatment. The Chateaus all have the New deep tub Hot Tubs since this April so we are glad they are working well for star gazing. We all had a good chuckle on your last line, but we do hope all find loving partners. We look forward to seeing you again.