Couples Resort
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Whitney
See available hotels
  • Room Service
Nomi Resort(Harcourt)
Pinewood Inn(Barry's Bay)
View Hotel
Ash Grove Inn Motel(Barry's Bay)
View Hotel
Mountain View Motel(Barry's Bay)
Silver Maple Motel(Haliburton)
  • Free Internet
All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and iwood burning fireplaceroom servicegames roomspa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubour honeymooncourse mealbear trailk cups
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We decided to visit the Couples Resort for our mini-moon to unwind for a couple days after our wedding. Check in was a breeze but because we got held up with traffic, we were not able to have dinner in the dinning room. They informed us that the last seating was at 8:15. Because dinner is included, our only option was to have room service which was adequate. We stayed in India, in the Exotics. The room was very spacious with a small kitchenette and great size balcony. We went for a delicious breakfast in the morning and then to the spa for a couples massage. Unfortunately, we had a terrible experience here. I can respect if someone is not feeling well, so please cancel my treatment. Instead, my therapist kept doing the massage while stopping to wipe/blow her nose. At one point she left the room for about 5 minutes while my husbands therapist kept treating him. Eventually when my therapist came back in I had debated stopping my service but tried relaxing again. This did not happen. She was treating my neck, shoulders and face and still wiping her nose then continued to treat. I was disgusted by the lack of cleanliness. I brought this to the attention of the front desk and they assured me that the spa manager would be informed. They kindly removed the charge for the massages and made it well known that, that is not how their spa operates. Thank You Deborah for taking care of this for us. Our compliments to the chef! The food was delicious! Breakfast, lunch and dinner had a great variety and the daily specials were very enjoyable. It was nice to see familiar faces around the resort. The staff works very hard all day long. We took a hike up to the lookout. Gorgeous fall colours but not really a clear lookout. There could be some tree trimming to get a better view and better signage for the entire loop. I thought the book at the top of the lookout was a great idea. We had fun signing that and taking pictures. Upon our return late afternoon, our room had finally been cleaned. We were slightly disappointed when all they really did was make the bed and leave some new towels. There was still spillage from dinner before on the table that had not been cleaned up. Maybe they just do things differently! The last unfortunate thing that happened was a gift that was supposed to be left in our room. We were aware that there would be a surprise waiting for us in the room. There were mugs from the staff of the resort which was very thoughtful, but no surprise. We waited a couple days and nothing. I inquired with the front desk and they informed me that the communication got mixed up and it never made its way to our room. It really was to bad because we would have been able to use it on other services but we got it on our last night there, so it was to late. Upon check out, Deborah took very good care of us and told us that we should have had the benefits of the honeymoon package, but weren't informed upon arrival. She did credit our account for the lunch charge, which was supposed to be included originally in our package. We thoroughly enjoyed what the room had to offer. The steam shower was great, and hot tub was so nice under the stars. The bath sheets are the best. It was to bad that they didn't have them for sale. Overall, the Couples Resort is a very nice place to visit but we were not overly impressed and would not call it spectacular.

4  Thank rykmac
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write the review. I am glad that Deborah and our front desk was helpful in taking care of the issues that you had while here. The Spa Manager will make sure this does not happen again. We all wish to assure you that problems like these are very rare here and we take great efforts in minimizing or eliminating them. I again apologize for what we missed that would have made your stay better.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Could not have picked a better northern resort for our second anniversary. Combination of perfect timing for fall colors in Algonquin park and Couples Resort. Our masters suite was fabulous and perfect for our anniversary retreat. Enjoying all the luxuries of wood burning fire place, jacuzzi tub made for 2. Small kitchenette with minifridge, microwave and sink. 2 wine glasses with opener for the evening either enjoying by the fire, or soaking in the outdoor hot tub located on your own private balcony over looking the lake. Even thou i agree with some the reviewers stating the service staff is on the younger side, they were very courteous and hospitable to us. The chef truly prepared excellent fine dining meals that i would rank very highly of, including the pork tenderloin and walleye fillet which was cooked perfectly. The only small complaint we have was not with our massages, or the spa personal, but with the noise that unfortunately took away from the normal relaxation and peacefulness of a spa experience. It seems the spa rooms are located within an older part of the resort that use to be small accomadation rooms on the second floor of the main building. Vacuum cleaners and banging could be heard from either cleaning staff and other guests located on the floor directly above. The games room does require a little TLC, and was not a great first impression within the resort as we had to kill some time awaiting for our room to be ready. This was our first visit to Couples Resort but it will not be our last.

Room Tip: choose a masters room on second floor. Large and full of luxury amenities.
1  Thank Magoo89Keswick_Ont

Thanks so much for the kind words. Your comments regarding the spa rooms and the game room are already in consideration for future improvements. As many of our return guests know, we are renovating and investing in your property every year. We do look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Please know my wife originally wrote a review for this property and management (the owner specifically), wrote that: "We wish your husband could have written the review instead because it seems he would have given us a much better score".

On that note, I am using my wife's account to detail our trip, but the review will not be a better score. It will be an honest depiction of OUR experience because we went together.

This review is OUR experience. It was not great, and we will not be recommending people to visit in general but as a person of society who realizes everyone experiences something different - try it and see if it is right for you.

When we arrived, no one was at the front desk - we had to wait a bit. Once someone showed up, they gave us all the information we needed to know. Unfortunately we had not packed 'nice' clothes for eating dinner in the dining room. I am aware by staff now that it is available on the website, and they are right - read before you go anywhere. This was our mistake. None the less, we had the option to have dinner delivered (at no extra fee), to our room. This was a great option. Although we did not make ourselves 'informed buyers' 100%, I did not expect to HAVE to dress a certain way to be able to eat at the only restaurant I was aware of within a half hour. Since the package was all inclusive, this meant we were paying for our dinner so obviously we would not be heading out elsewhere. For everyone who reads this, you are now an informed buyer and know that a collared shirt and tie, plus dress pants for men is required. The staff gave us a tie, but unfortunately I had only brought a nice sweater vs a collared shirt.

At another time that evening we returned to the front desk and two staff were there. I asked them what they could recommend we do for the Saturday. They had the recommendations that were on the map we were give (visit art gallery, walk a trail...). I then asked if they knew what the weather would be like the next day (the Saturday). One of the girls said it would be 20+ and sunny. I could have sworn I had checked earlier and saw rain and under 20 so I was a bit confused. Readers, always check the weather for yourself. I re-checked once we were at our room and saw it would be cold and rainy. Obviously the staff made a mistake - this is fine.

We then went for a walk around the property to see what was available. Upon seeing the gym, we were very turned off. The room smelled musty and the equipment was very dated. My wife and I love to use the gym in general, but decided not to use it once we saw the equipment. I am sure some people will be satisfied as they could still do their work out - for us, appearance is important too.

The following day, we went to the front desk to confirm that using the bath salts in the room would cost money if we used them. My wife and I were a bit confused because when we checked in they stated that we would see signs in our room that coffee was $x and water was $x, but not to worry - they were included. For this reason we were unsure about the bath salts and bubbles for the Jacuzzi. When we arrived, one person was on the phone in the back room booking in an informing a client about their future stay. It took almost 10 minutes to get her help. She had seen us and quietly gestured an acknowledgement of our arrival, but since she seemed to be the only one there at the time. We were not in a rush, but it would have been nice to be dealt with sooner by another individual if one was busy on the phone.

We stayed in a Junior Suite. The room was large with a Jacuzzi tub and had a view of the lake. We also had a fireplace and wood was always available and easy to get (not far from our room). On a gross note, when my wife and I enjoyed the Jacuzzi, a dead fly visited us. We discovered it once the water started moving around. It is possible he landed after the room was cleaned and died a lonely death in our tub - but it did make us wonder how well the tubs get cleaned.

The resort is 'all inclusive' although lunch is not included. In the package we purchased (which I believe is available with every purchase), lunch was offered as two for one. Being aware of this before we went, we brought our own food to save some money. There is a small grocery store in town and hot chickens can be purchased - this might also be an option for you. If I remember correctly, there was also a pizza joint around the corner, but I am unsure if it was even open (it looked dead and vacated).

As it was made aware to us in a previous comment, the chef they have is a 5 star chef. For us, the food was not 5 star. It was not horrible, but we have had better 5+star dining. Readers, I cannot recommend a place for you to eat in Whitney as things are not close. Try the food - it might be to your taste preferences. In a comment previously left for us we were asked to provide you with our favourite place(s) to eat. For us we have had fabulous dining in Las Vegas and in Niagara/Niagara on the lake at 5 star restaurants. If you wish for names, please send a message.

After writing the first review we were also made aware that the chef could make accommodations to meals and often does for over 20% of guests. We were not told this when ordering food, but we did not need changes like changing carrots to broccoli - we needed better tasting and more flavourful food. We had our food delivered to the room, and while eating, found it ok. There was no reason to send it back - it just wasn't 5 star quality for us. My wife loves to eat scallops out at fancy restaurants - this was not available on the menu so I doubt the chef could have accommodated this request. If you would like to know the food we chose for our meal, please send a message. We can go into further details there about what we liked and what we did not.

On another note, my wife and I decided to stay in our room until around 1. We left the appropriate note to not disturb. There was a choice of more than 3 dings: do not disturb, please make up my room, do not make up room..and some more (I just can't remember). We returned by 3 and had left the appropriate door note "please make up room" . When we came back, house keeping was leaving and we heard them say they were all done except for the room on the end (our room), but whatever, they were done. Our room did not get cleaned nor did our bed get made. We were very disappointed at this. No, we did not mention it to the front desk as we wanted to stay in the room and not be bothered after this. I am sure if we had called, someone would have come - but I should not have to call. Our room should have been done and not ignored.

The weekend we chose, it ended up being cold and rainy on the Saturday (our only full day as we had to head home at checkout on sunday because Whitney is a far distance from us). In the morning we went for a short walk on a trail nearby and got a bit lost - the map and trails itself are a bit hard to follow - make sure you bring a cell phone as there is cell reception. After this it got colder and rained more so we stayed inside. Due to the weather in general, we feel we were not able to enjoy the amenities as much. Yes we are aware we live in Ontario and the weather is never guaranteed, but that does not mean I cannot complain about it (the weather). Please know, I only stated we felt it was hard to use what the resort has available (i.e.: bikes for a bike ride - we do not like to bike in the cold and rain). If you do, then go for it!

After this review of our experience, please remember that every other traveller has had a different experience and you might too. It could be bad and it could be pleasant or amazing. This was not the best weekend away that we have ever had in regards to service and place, but it was not the worst. Again, as a member of society, I am pointing this out - try it or not try it. I hope your stay and experience is better than ours.

7  Thank Mandy S
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. It informs us for corrections and helps future travelers looking for input. I assure you we will continue to improve and work on things. My staff are always trying to get their satisfaction rates way above 99.5% and we will continue pushing using complex matrices to monitor. Also, last week I was away to suppliers to set in motion renovations to interior public areas in the cost of $75,000 dollars for this winter. Input is important for us and we use it to benefit future guests. One of the things that you and your bride may have helped us with, and for this I am very thankful, is for a new policy regarding dress code. What I now see is that there is almost a perfect match for a guest not bringing dress clothes matching almost on a 1 to 1 correlation that the same guest will then write a negative review on Trip Advisor. Then It makes sense not to allow those guests to stay at the Resort when they arrive, since there is a near 100% probability that they will write a negative review no matter what we do to try and please. By refusing these guests to check-in one would eliminate many future reviews that are negative and this would be a big benefit to the guests that love us, to the staff that depend on the guests and to the family that depends on all of the above. Thank you. JohnS-Owner

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Beautiful scenery, amazing room but incredibly rude staff cut our honeymoon @ Couples Resort short. :(
We were extremely disappointed. We were having a great trip (24 hrs) until we were humiliated. We had booked for 4 night's but left after two. We loved Algonquin Park & the entire area. The local people that we met off the resort were great. We will defiantly be returning to Algonquin but will never return to the Couple's Resort

10  Thank shuey13
Couples_Resort_Rep, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed the area so much. I wish we knew what went wrong so that we can make changes to make sure it never happens to anyone else. We pride ourselves in taking care of everyone; in order that they have the most relaxing, peaceful escape to spend quality time together. Our staff often have comment cards filled out by guests that recommend absolutely every staff they encounter as Top of Class. Hopefully we will find the staff that was so rude to you, and we will make changes.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Save your money. My husband and I stayed for 2 nights this past weekend. The weather was amazing, thankfully. We stayed in the Venus cabin. The decor is old and it shows. The dinner staff are all young and inexperienced. Our first night we asked for a glass of port after dinner. We got what seemed to be less than a 2 oz serving but we sipped on it and didn't say anything. The next night we asked for the same and we were told it was gone. We asked for the next selection to find out it was also gone. No suggestions on "would you like something else"? When you get the bill before you ask for it and before you are finished, it is quite annoying. The wine steward, John and Scott were not at all experienced. We found out Cayla was dating Scott. We had massages the morning we were leaving and they were terrible. The women who massaged me forgot that nails are not for massaging. Maybe cutting them would be a good idea before you massage someone. We were also told we had to be out of our room in 8 mins after our massage. The staff was just rude. We will not be back. After spending over $2k you would think a simple thank you would've been appropriate. I would not recommend this place. Also - fitness room was old and dirty. Eileen and Chris Tarrant

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Eileen T
Couples_Resort_Rep, Owner at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are really glad you had a great time out in Algonquin with such beautiful weather and with the most incredible fall colours that are out everywhere. Sorry the cabin didn’t match you, but we have many others that would. Yes the cabin is an original cabin and we make sure the description on our website about that accommodation matches it by saying “lakefront and completely finished in dark cedar and are now with private hot tubs. Enjoy the Rustic Luxury of original Canadiana Cabins while indulging in the atmosphere of pure wood.“ Dark, wood and Rustic would indicate something you probably were not comfortable with. Otherwise the Furniture was all replaced new just a few years ago with the addition of a 50” plasma TV and a private Hot Tub on the Deck to help enjoy original Canadiana with some Luxury. Next time, I would suggest the Masters Juniors Suite if you wanted a flawless suite or the Chateau Cabin if you wanted Opulence in a Cabin format, both would have been far more luxurious and certainly not Rustic Luxury. The 2 Rustic Cabins we have are a huge draw for certain types of couples and often they are filled up well in advance as many love that original Canadiana style, especially with the real wood fireplace going, so we are sorry it was not to your liking.
I am sorry we were out of a couple favourite drinks for you so we will make sure we replenish. John and Scott as Wine Stewards, will always be helpful within their abilities. I have now removed the Wine Sommelier from our Resort and website.
The nails were horrible on you, but we did not find out what was terrible about your husband’s massage, with the 2nd Esthetician, as you said both Estheticians were terrible. I hope you were able to discuss the Spa with the Spa Manager to have a corrective measure. The Spa Manager would have inspected and corrected immediately. It is very rare indeed that Spa Staff need correcting, as they normally receive significant praise.
I am so thrilled that the Office gave you another hour to stay in your accommodation past the 11 o’clock check out time, so that you could enjoy your spa time to noon, it is unfortunate that you felt shafted and that we cut you short, when exactly the opposite happened.
Now that you have a better understanding of the Accommodations and Services we provide we look forward to your return. JohnS-Owner.