My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Couples Resort this past week for the sole purpose of peace and quiet. We chose a Junior Suite, knowing this was the least expensive, but still a fair bit of money. The room was very cozy, spacious, comfortable bed, great fireplace, etc. Not much to complain about there.
Where we were disappointed though was the dining room staff. The staff all seemed quite young, which is not a crime, but they also seemed pretty inexperienced. The first night we asked for help in choosing a wine and didn't really find the young gentleman that knowledgeable. Also, once he uncorked the bottle and poured our glass, we never saw him again.
The second night was no better. When we greeted the waitress and asked how come we hadn't seen her the night before, she told us she just had 4 days off. I said, great, you are well rested! She said, "not really, I'm tired, I have been here since 11 AM ... when we have days off we are expected to work long and hard hours"...? We didn't need to hear this. She seemed rushed and not interested in being there.
All in all, it was a nice getaway. The food was good and accommodations were nice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Ontario/Whitney