“Amazing accommodations; so-so service”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was looking for somewhere special to take my partner for his 40th birthday. I wanted a sprinkle of romance with lots of outdoorsy entertainment options. The couples resort was perfect. Also, since it was off-season, the rates were very reasonable. The accommodations were absolutely amazing. We had a masters room complete with a private outdoor hot-tub on the balcony and a steam shower in the bathroom. Did I mention there was a real wood-burning fireplace in our room with an endless supply of wood in the hall closet just outside of our room? Wow. I would have been happy to never leave the room. Included in the price was breakfast and a 5 course dinner. They also provided a pass for algonquin park (just 5km down the road) so we were able to do lots of hiking.

My only warning to individuals contemplating this resort is around service. The tag line of the resort is "let us spoil you". This is a bit misleading. No one so much as offered to take our bags to our room. Many of the staff serve multiple roles. For example, the waitress/waiter serving breakfast also doubled as housekeeping. In this case, they were adequate in both roles though certainly not exceptional. Given that the couples resort positions itself as a 5-star resort, I think people expect exceptional. I definitely saw some questionable behaviour in the kitchen/bar area that I would not expect from a 5-star resort. For example, I watched a waitress pour a glass of wine back in the bottle. The wine had been served to a customer. The customer decided she didn't want it and swore she hadn't touched it. So the server poured it back in the bottle. Sketchy! Each time I ordered a specialty martini from their drink menu, the bartender had to research how to prepare it. Overall, the server and bar staff just weren't very well trained in their jobs.

In summary, I loved it and would definitely return for the price I paid. I would, however, be mighty upset if I went for full price and expected the 5 star service that they advertise.

Room Tip: Masters rooms and up come with an outdoor hot-tub. This was key to my enjoyment!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and are happy you will be returning. Our tag line “let us spoil you” certainly still works as we spoil you in our accommodations that have so much to offer. As the Resort is a people business there is more room for errors from our side and from the side of the customer and that will never be perfect. We are however disheartened to hear that you were not impressed with the servers. There is a significant amount of training invested in staff and it is extremely rare that guests do not like our staff. We often hear amazing things about them and all the servers often get written compliments from guests. I will forward your concerns to the dining room management team. We are more than glad to help with your luggage should you need any assistance. You only have to ask and we will do our best to provide you with anything you need. And we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Couples Resort

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Couples Resort as a surprise birthday gift and we definitely had a great time. The location, setting, and company were well worth the trip to Whitney! We had planned for a very quiet weekend sans kids to read, watch a couple of girly movies, and just sit in front of the fire and relax. We were both happy to stay inside our little cabin in the woods, which we did!

Upon arrival, our reservations were ready and the check in process was very easy. The receptionist explained some of the activities that were going on over the weekend and was very friendly and personable. She directed us to the dining room to make reservations for dinner, but we had planned our own picnic so declined. We did try to book a massage, but were told the spa was fully booked for the weekend. I would recommend pre-booking if you want to utilize the spa services.

We did eat breakfast and dinner in the dining room and found the food was good overall. They really tried for the gourmet feel, but some of the flavours fell flat. A tomato salad with three half cherry tomatoes drowned in a dill sauce was kind of sad. Being said, my steak I ordered for dinner was done to perfection. Charging $3.00 for an extra two pieces of toast with breakfast was insulting.

First impressions of our Villa were great. I had read the reviews and did expect the room furnishings to be somewhat dated, which they were. The room had a beautiful king sized bed, couch and loveseat, wood burning fireplace and all the furnishings as advertised, well almost anyways.

The couch and loveseat were once of the overstuffed variety with comfort in mind, however both have probably seen their day. The cushions were so flat you were almost sitting on the floor. The very stylish TV cabinet housed a television from 1980 that was barely watchable. We ended up watching movies on my iPad which made us look pretty pathetic.

The advertised bar fridge with free beverages housed two bottles of water, nothing else. We did call and were told that we could go to the bar and get some drinks for the room but that is all they typically furnish. The Keurig Coffee machine still noted that it was $2.00 per cup although they advertise free drinks. They only supply two K-cups of coffee and green tea. Nothing else.

They really don’t splurge on stocking the rooms. It would not hurt them one bit to leave a case of K-cups in each room. Even if a guest went on a caffeine spree, they would only be down $30 or so. I am trying not to be over critical, but for what we paid for the room you kind of expected more. If they marketed the resort as cabins in the woods with spa amenities, the decor, furnishings, and stocking of the room would be expected but they don’t.

With little effort they could easily make this a five star resort. It seems management spends more time responding to Trip Advisor responses, then looking at what they are providing. Stock the rooms with what’s advertised. Overstock with coffee and hot chocolate. Fill the fridges with standard mini bar amenities. Invest into the rooms as it is what you are supplying. Replace tired couches and TV’s. Either market as a cabin in the woods or update the decorum.

My review sounds overly negative, and I do want to convey that we did in fact have a fantastic weekend. We made it enjoyable and the resort did supply the setting, tranquility and relaxation as advertised. It is just hard to justify the expense when it is the little things that left you lacking.

Room Tip: Recommendations: - Preparation is key, the more you plan, the more you will get out of your stay...
3  Thank cdunk416
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We are so pleased that you had such a definitely great time at the Couples Resort. We consider that we are successful if you got to truly enjoy your time with each other while being away from it all. I know that is why my spouse and I get away, it is to be together.
We will never be perfect because of where we are but we are constantly improving and have been improving for 45 years. 50” Plasma TV’s are in all our lower priced Junior Suites, and we do not have a big demand for them in these Villa Cabins yet, it is shown as such on our Website. Sorry you did not see the Website All-Inclusive Packages where it tells you that everything you thought was an extra cost was free, please make sure you go there first next time. We find that getting information from other Trip Advisor comments usually is missing the extras that we offer for free that we mention on our own website. I generally would recommend reading our full website first before looking at comments, it is amazing how often this is not done, it would be like buying a Car or a Computer and not reading what the manufacturer is putting in the product sold, and only listening to reviews.
Although there are prices on the cards in the rooms, you may have noticed that upon check out there are no charges on the bill.
We restock daily in the rooms when cleaning. Although we would love to keep more in the rooms, we have found over time that more are taken home than used while here. This can lead to a lot of extra costs and we would not be able to charge as little as we now do for your stay. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

As a romantic winter getaway I would definitely recommend the Couples Resort. Amazing value during this time of year with up to 70% off the regular prices. Even the junior suites had a jacuzzi tub and a real log fire place (won me over immediately).

The five course meals were incredible and service very informed and friendly. Fun winter activities are available. Ever so slightly disappointing was the ice skating and outdoor spa facilities were closed, although I am sure this was down to weather conditions.

We would recommend and will try and return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there. Great to hear that you would recommend us as a Romantic Getaway. Everything we do at the Couples Resort is in trying to make it better for the 2 of you to enjoy each other’s company. Weather can always play havoc to outdoor activities, one of the advantages of being in Canada, at least we can promise that the fireplace and Jacuzzi will always be there for you when the weather is typical. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 25th anniversary at the Couples Resort. It was a perfect option for a short getaway at this time of year. I had read from past reviews that the food was great but it still exceeded our expectations. We generally take cruises every year and this food exceeded any that we have had on the cruise ships. We had a Masters Suite and it literally had everything that you could possibly wish for in a room. It had a steamroom in the bathroom, 2 person jacuzzi, fireplace and a private hottub on the balcony. Just a warning though. There is a bottle of bubble bath and salts etc beside the jacuzzi which I thought was a nice touch but then I noticed the little bottle of bubble bath is $17.00. A little steep. This bed was the most comfortable bed ever. It didnt matter how much I tossed and turned or how many times I got up my husband never noticed. If all goes accordingly this will become an annual tradition for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Congratulations on celebrating 25 incredible years together. It sounds like you had a superb time; dining and trying all the toys in the room. Thank you for choosing us as your romantic destination to rekindle your vows, we wish you many more successful and healthy years. If you do make it an annual event, know that Couples Resort has been here for 45 years and will (good God willing) be here many more years for you!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just got back from our 4th stay at Couples. First time was a number of years ago when it was called the Bear Trail Inn. And, we’ve stayed in 4 different room types – this time opting for a Master Jr. Suite, which is probably our favorite room style now. One of the things we really like about this place is that most of the room types have private hot tubs, which is one of the main reasons we pick this place for a getaway. First time we didn’t have one but the past 3 visits we have, and we would not pick a room type now that didn’t have a hot tub. We have also been twice to their sister resort – Adventure Lodge – but they do not have hot tubs here. The Master Jr. Suite is huge and enough windows that it is bright inside. Very comfortable.

I won’t repeat what most others have said about the food, the friendly staff, etc but will merely point out one negative thing that could have been avoided if staff had thought things through properly. They advertise free wifi in all rooms and they indeed do have it. They give you a password to access it when you check in. What they do NOT tell you is that the password apparently changes once a week. So, if you wake up early in the morning and can’t access the internet there is absolutely NOTHING you can do until after 8:30 a.m. as this is when the office opens. I can certainly understand the need to change passwords but for those people who wake up early and need or want internet access this is rather annoying. Surely they could do something to ensure that guests are alerted to this change before it happens.

Aside from this annoyance, we will quite likely return here again in future, making sure upon check-in that we will have uninterrupted internet access.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests, thank you for being such avid fans of the Couples Resort. We are glad you enjoy your quiet time together here. We will change the time for rollovers of the internet to during office hours so that you can call in for the new code if you get dropped. See you soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just came back from a one night getaway with my wife on a last minute deal in a jr suite.

Pro
-great last minute value deals
-friendly staff
-great 5 course meal. Well paced, lots of menu choice and generous portions
-huge clean room with nice large tv, comfy bed, sofa and unique non chain hotel feel.
-real wood fireplace
-private lake view

Con
-too far from Toronto for one night. I suggest a min. Of two night if coming from Toronto
-no DVD player. Bring your own or pay $15 for unlimited streaming of movies
-if your are not planning on an active day, I wouldn't recommend during winter or rainy day. However I would gladly return in the summer months and take advantage of the lake.
-noisy heater when on

Overall, resort is as advertised. I don't think I would book unless it was the "last minute" advertised prices.

Room Tip: Lower level jr suites are walk outs to the grounds/lake. Upper levels are balconies
2  Thank mikeydob

Thank you for your review and it looks like we will be seeing you again soon. Algonquin Park is special to us and We are very glad that you did not feel you were in a chain hotel but somewhere unique and different. The summer is a wonderful time for swimming in the lake with the lake getting up to 78’F / 25’C by mid-July most summers. Canoes and Kayaks are free usage in the summer with this lake going 11 km up into Algonquin (there are many quiet places to pull up and have a picnic). See you soon and thanks for being a guest.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We where here 15 years ago, when it was the Bear Trail Inn and really enjoyed it, so when it was time to get away from the kids, we thought we would would try it again-same place different name- same great service. The first night was relaxing by the fire, enjoying the hot tub and sauna. First time we stayed in the junior suite and this time we opted for the spa villa (its worth the extra money for the villa for sure). After a day snowshoeing in the park, which was all included in the price, we had a great dinner.
P.S. The food is second to none here

Overall the Mrs. and I had a great time and hopefully will make it back for some summer fun.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Spa Villa room-private hut tub-private sauna-2 person shower and steamer and a private...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so very glad that after all these years you still enjoyed it as much as 15 years ago. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. We love to see them. Be sure to take advantage of the the return guest free spa treatment when you are next with us. Hope we see you soon. Summer is just around the corner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#3 of 8 in Barry's Bay
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!