I was looking for somewhere special to take my partner for his 40th birthday. I wanted a sprinkle of romance with lots of outdoorsy entertainment options. The couples resort was perfect. Also, since it was off-season, the rates were very reasonable. The accommodations were absolutely amazing. We had a masters room complete with a private outdoor hot-tub on the balcony and a steam shower in the bathroom. Did I mention there was a real wood-burning fireplace in our room with an endless supply of wood in the hall closet just outside of our room? Wow. I would have been happy to never leave the room. Included in the price was breakfast and a 5 course dinner. They also provided a pass for algonquin park (just 5km down the road) so we were able to do lots of hiking.
My only warning to individuals contemplating this resort is around service. The tag line of the resort is "let us spoil you". This is a bit misleading. No one so much as offered to take our bags to our room. Many of the staff serve multiple roles. For example, the waitress/waiter serving breakfast also doubled as housekeeping. In this case, they were adequate in both roles though certainly not exceptional. Given that the couples resort positions itself as a 5-star resort, I think people expect exceptional. I definitely saw some questionable behaviour in the kitchen/bar area that I would not expect from a 5-star resort. For example, I watched a waitress pour a glass of wine back in the bottle. The wine had been served to a customer. The customer decided she didn't want it and swore she hadn't touched it. So the server poured it back in the bottle. Sketchy! Each time I ordered a specialty martini from their drink menu, the bartender had to research how to prepare it. Overall, the server and bar staff just weren't very well trained in their jobs.
In summary, I loved it and would definitely return for the price I paid. I would, however, be mighty upset if I went for full price and expected the 5 star service that they advertise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Ontario/Whitney