“Great food, great rooms, great value”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed March 22, 2013

As a romantic winter getaway I would definitely recommend the Couples Resort. Amazing value during this time of year with up to 70% off the regular prices. Even the junior suites had a jacuzzi tub and a real log fire place (won me over immediately).

The five course meals were incredible and service very informed and friendly. Fun winter activities are available. Ever so slightly disappointing was the ice skating and outdoor spa facilities were closed, although I am sure this was down to weather conditions.

We would recommend and will try and return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi there. Great to hear that you would recommend us as a Romantic Getaway. Everything we do at the Couples Resort is in trying to make it better for the 2 of you to enjoy each other’s company. Weather can always play havoc to outdoor activities, one of the advantages of being in Canada, at least we can promise that the fireplace and Jacuzzi will always be there for you when the weather is typical. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 25th anniversary at the Couples Resort. It was a perfect option for a short getaway at this time of year. I had read from past reviews that the food was great but it still exceeded our expectations. We generally take cruises every year and this food exceeded any that we have had on the cruise ships. We had a Masters Suite and it literally had everything that you could possibly wish for in a room. It had a steamroom in the bathroom, 2 person jacuzzi, fireplace and a private hottub on the balcony. Just a warning though. There is a bottle of bubble bath and salts etc beside the jacuzzi which I thought was a nice touch but then I noticed the little bottle of bubble bath is $17.00. A little steep. This bed was the most comfortable bed ever. It didnt matter how much I tossed and turned or how many times I got up my husband never noticed. If all goes accordingly this will become an annual tradition for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Congratulations on celebrating 25 incredible years together. It sounds like you had a superb time; dining and trying all the toys in the room. Thank you for choosing us as your romantic destination to rekindle your vows, we wish you many more successful and healthy years. If you do make it an annual event, know that Couples Resort has been here for 45 years and will (good God willing) be here many more years for you!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just got back from our 4th stay at Couples. First time was a number of years ago when it was called the Bear Trail Inn. And, we’ve stayed in 4 different room types – this time opting for a Master Jr. Suite, which is probably our favorite room style now. One of the things we really like about this place is that most of the room types have private hot tubs, which is one of the main reasons we pick this place for a getaway. First time we didn’t have one but the past 3 visits we have, and we would not pick a room type now that didn’t have a hot tub. We have also been twice to their sister resort – Adventure Lodge – but they do not have hot tubs here. The Master Jr. Suite is huge and enough windows that it is bright inside. Very comfortable.

I won’t repeat what most others have said about the food, the friendly staff, etc but will merely point out one negative thing that could have been avoided if staff had thought things through properly. They advertise free wifi in all rooms and they indeed do have it. They give you a password to access it when you check in. What they do NOT tell you is that the password apparently changes once a week. So, if you wake up early in the morning and can’t access the internet there is absolutely NOTHING you can do until after 8:30 a.m. as this is when the office opens. I can certainly understand the need to change passwords but for those people who wake up early and need or want internet access this is rather annoying. Surely they could do something to ensure that guests are alerted to this change before it happens.

Aside from this annoyance, we will quite likely return here again in future, making sure upon check-in that we will have uninterrupted internet access.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests, thank you for being such avid fans of the Couples Resort. We are glad you enjoy your quiet time together here. We will change the time for rollovers of the internet to during office hours so that you can call in for the new code if you get dropped. See you soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just came back from a one night getaway with my wife on a last minute deal in a jr suite.

Pro
-great last minute value deals
-friendly staff
-great 5 course meal. Well paced, lots of menu choice and generous portions
-huge clean room with nice large tv, comfy bed, sofa and unique non chain hotel feel.
-real wood fireplace
-private lake view

Con
-too far from Toronto for one night. I suggest a min. Of two night if coming from Toronto
-no DVD player. Bring your own or pay $15 for unlimited streaming of movies
-if your are not planning on an active day, I wouldn't recommend during winter or rainy day. However I would gladly return in the summer months and take advantage of the lake.
-noisy heater when on

Overall, resort is as advertised. I don't think I would book unless it was the "last minute" advertised prices.

Room Tip: Lower level jr suites are walk outs to the grounds/lake. Upper levels are balconies
2  Thank mikeydob

Thank you for your review and it looks like we will be seeing you again soon. Algonquin Park is special to us and We are very glad that you did not feel you were in a chain hotel but somewhere unique and different. The summer is a wonderful time for swimming in the lake with the lake getting up to 78’F / 25’C by mid-July most summers. Canoes and Kayaks are free usage in the summer with this lake going 11 km up into Algonquin (there are many quiet places to pull up and have a picnic). See you soon and thanks for being a guest.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We where here 15 years ago, when it was the Bear Trail Inn and really enjoyed it, so when it was time to get away from the kids, we thought we would would try it again-same place different name- same great service. The first night was relaxing by the fire, enjoying the hot tub and sauna. First time we stayed in the junior suite and this time we opted for the spa villa (its worth the extra money for the villa for sure). After a day snowshoeing in the park, which was all included in the price, we had a great dinner.
P.S. The food is second to none here

Overall the Mrs. and I had a great time and hopefully will make it back for some summer fun.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Spa Villa room-private hut tub-private sauna-2 person shower and steamer and a private...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so very glad that after all these years you still enjoyed it as much as 15 years ago. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. We love to see them. Be sure to take advantage of the the return guest free spa treatment when you are next with us. Hope we see you soon. Summer is just around the corner.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I chose to stay at The Couples Resort for our 10 year anniversary and we are so glad we did. When we arrived, our spa villa was even better than we had imagined. The staff had even left us a "Happy Anniversary" card on the table! The food was spectacular, the service wonderful and the amenities were perfect. The 4 head steam shower was so relaxing and the jacuzzi beside the bed was perfectly placed to ensure a view of the wood burning fireplace. We will definitely return for our anniversary next year. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Sounds like a great time to spend with your loved one. I am glad everything met your needs to make it something extra special. We look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have mostly only good things to say about Couples Resort. There were a couple of negatives that I am only mentioning so that management may improve upon them and make this great little resort even better!
First of all, if you are looking for a romantic weekend getaway, the setting alone is breathtaking. Upon check-in we received a very warm and friendly greeting from a young lady at the front desk and were happy to find out that (contrary to an earlier call to Spa Reservations) there were two different time slots available for spa treatments. AND, I was thrilled to find out that the spa treatments were 50% off!
We definitely got the room that we had reserved - a Jr. Suite on the top floor with a very comfortable King size bed. The room was very spacious with a love seat, separate sitting area, real wood burning fireplace and amazing view of the lake.
It felt nice to dress up for dinner and the dining room was very nice. Mark seated us by the window as I had requested earlier and made us feel very welcome. Derrick was our waiter and he was absolutely amazing! Even though the dining room was full and he was serving a number of other tables, he was super attentive to us and made sure that nothing was missing from the dining experience.
The food was spectacular. Fresh, flavourful, mouthwatering... to die for! They are concerned with and cater to specific food allergies (if you let them know in advance). We ate in the dining room on our first night, had breakfast in our room the following morning and also ended up having dinner in our room that evening. The room service was prompt, friendly and the food was served with the same care and attention it would be if we were in the dining room.
At the Sports Center we were happy to be presented with a vast array of sporting equipment to borrow; we took advantage of the cross country skiing and snowshoeing (Algonquin trails are only 10 minutes up the street and the resort provides a park pass free of charge). We brought our own ice skates and also enjoyed skating on the lake. The rink was very well looked after each morning. Fantastic!
The spa treatments were nice as well. I highly recommend the Indian Head Massage! Fatima did an amazing job!
Again, I didn't want to bring up the negatives but I do believe that there is room for improvement in some areas.
Two days prior to arrival I called to reserve my spa treatments; the lady on the other end of the line was rude and coughed repeatedly on the line without apologizing or putting me on hold. She also told me that the only treatment I would be able to receive was a pedicure on one of the days. (How surprised was I to find out at the front desk that there were other time slots available for other treatments?!)
Our room's decor was a bit outdated. I tried to keep the curtains open as much as possible because the design was very distracting (80's Hawaiian-theme?) The bathroom floor was very cold (bring slippers!) and the shower was dimly lit because of the dark cabin-style walls and thick shower curtain. The heating/AC unit is also a bit loud, especially if you're the type to wake up easily like I am.
When we arrived in the dining room there was a 15 minute wait. The waiting room is in the same area of the restaurant with no division between the two (technically you are waiting to be seated beside a couple who is already eating). Although there are signs indicating a strict dress code and no cell phone use in the dining area, there were a couple of individuals ahead of us wearing casual attire such as Adidas track pants and brightly coloured sneakers. Half way through the wait, one of their cell phones started ringing and they proceeded to talk on the phone for a good 10 minutes. While we and others in the waiting area exchanged confused looks, they were escorted right into the dining room which was confusing.
Half way through our lovely dinner experience we noticed a guest yelling at Derrick as he apologized profusely. Towards the end of our meal we noticed the same guest addressing some concerns with Mark; he was getting progressively louder. To our utmost surprise another (older) gentleman started yelling back at the guest. We witnessed the whole thing and it put a bit of a damper on our evening.
On Saturday I headed towards the spa for my shiatzu massage; being new in the resort I followed the sign indicating "Spa". In the hallway I was very poorly greeted by a young woman who rudely told me to wait for my therapist upstairs in the Sunset Room.
Both times in the spa I found the treatment rooms to be a bit chilly.

In all, we found it to be a great little resort located in a most beautiful area. Despite minor setbacks, we would definitely return.

4  Thank RuthB1977

Sorry that the Resort was not 100% Perfect but we are glad you had a great winter weekend getaway. Something’s we can control and others (staff and guests) are a little harder to control, even when they know the rules. I know our staff, which are among the best, even have off moments. However we realize these digressions are very rare occurrences here at the Resort, so we are optimistic that you will often have a very nice time here. We are always working at providing good value for Guests and if one can, as you did, come for romance and enjoy a great deal of amazing sports with a little R&R in the Spa, and you felt that these were all benefits, than we are doing what we promise. Thanks for being our guests, we are glad you enjoyed so many things together as a couple, and we are glad you will definitely return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#5 of 6 in Whitney
Spectacle Lake Lodge
Spectacle Lake Lodge
#3 of 8 in Barry's Bay

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!