“Great room. Excellent service. All around an amazing experience.”
Review of Couples Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Couples Resort
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I dont normally write reviews for anything but We had an awesome time. The staff was very pleasant and the food was excellent. The resort was nice and secluded. Wood fireplace was great and was at chest level so it could be seen from the bed. It seems most if not all the rooms have a view of the lake.

We must go again in the summer when there are more outdoor activities.

• Stayed: December 2012
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thanks so very much for taking the time to write a review.. especially since it is something you do not usually do. We appreciate it. And you are right! All rooms and cabins face the water! We hope to see you in the summer.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I booked a one night stay through Travelzoo on Nov. 25 and I must say we were not disappointed as the resort definately lived up to its wonderful reviews. We booked the upper Junior Suite and has a beautiful view of the water and wintery landscape. It was just breathtaking! Although we visit Algonquin Park throughout the summer this was our first stay in the winter months and will not be our last. Algonquin Park is beautiful to drive through and photograph at this time of year so we didn't mind the 2 1/2 hr drive. The staff were friendly and courteous both at check-in and check-out. The breakfast room service was a nice treat and tasted as good as it looked. We were impressed with the selection, quality and presentation of each course from the appetizers right down to the dessert. The dining room staff were very attentive and friendly even offering to pack our dessert to go. It was a very quiet and relaxing resort and the woodburning fireplace was a nice touch. The rooms were spotless and the bed the most comfortable. Would recommend getting the upper floors for the view and since the dining room is in the main building would recommend bringing appropriate dressy footwear and coat to wear outside in the elements. I thought dining room would be in same building as our room and mistakenly brought high heels which weren't appropriate to wear in the snow and my boots that I did bring were casual as was my coat. But will know next time. We were so pleasantly surprised and impressed by the value offered by what is probably considered a base room that we decided to book an extra night although it meant losing a days wages it was so worth it. Could have stayed longer and look forward to going back especially if we could get a deal on an upgraded room.

Room Tip: The upper level rooms offer a great view of the water.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you for all your wonderful comments, especially about the staff as they appreciate it. We are so very glad you took advantage of the TravelZoo offer and decided to check us out. You will find that our pricing is always this low throughout the late fall, winter and spring. Next fall there will not be a Travelzoo offer but the rates will still be $69 per person all inclusive with the meals. Also in December, before Christmas, the upgraded hot tub rooms are massively discounted to $96 pp/n. See you next year, or sooner if you can.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I were married at the Couples Resort and have been back three more times since then. We recently celebrated our fifth anniversary there. The service, surroundings and dining are exquisite and we always relax and reconnect. It has become our special oasis.

Room Tip: We chose a Chateau for our Anniversary and the luxurious surroundings were worth every penny.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janet12395

Congratulations on your Anniversary! Thanks so much for your continued support of Couples Resort. We hope to be here for as long as you need to relax and connect.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Our kids gifted us a stay at The Couples Resort to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. What a perfect spot: garden doors overlooking the water, fireplace in room, jacuzzi, very luxurious. Dining was a wonderful experience: delicious, beautiful things to eat, and a varied menu so we could easily find something new to try. We borrowed the Algonquin Park pass and enjoyed seeing the Park in the snow and solitude.

Room Tip: We liked having a ground-level view from our bedroom out over the water
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Congratulations on making it to 40 years, a true feat. What truly wonderful children you have. Nothing better than the gift of time and relaxation. Thank you for your review and we hope we see you again.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Recently spent 4 nights at Couples in Whitney. It was our 3rd visit and probably our best since the weather co-operated this time around, can't wait to go back again.
The staff are very friendly. The food is great - full breakfast and 5 course dinner included. We originally booked for 3 nights and wound up staying an extra day, since we were having such a great time. Never ordered the same meal twice, and all were delicious.
Stayed in a top floor jr suite, which was very quite. Love the fireplace and jacuzzi, and the bed was very comfortable.
Couples has added some perks since we were last here. You can bring your own wine, and just pay a corkage fee ($15). No more eco fee. Free spa treatments and discounts for return guests. They have free park passes for Algonquin. We had great weather and went into Algonquin Park and did 3 different hikes.
If you are on a budget you can't beat couples during the off season. I looked at trying somewhere different, Deerhurt, Red Leaves, but the value just can't be beat since the meals are included at Couples. Also prices are lower during the week than on weekends, we went Sun - Thurs.
Someday I'd really like to stay in one of the cottages with my own hot tub :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your continued support of Couples Resort. We continue to make every effort to make your stay a good one and of good value. See you next time.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed in an exotic room and loved it! Wood burning fireplace is definately a huge bonus and kept the room warm and "romantic" during our stay the weekend of November 20th, 2012. We spent most of our time in the private Hot Tub on our balconey which was clean, had a relaxing view, as well as experienced our first rather big snow fall of the winter season. It was in the middle of the activity seasons Summer (boating etc.) and Winter (skating etc.) but we went to have peace, quiet, rest and not be bothered and that was the time and place for it.
I had looked this resort up over 20 years ago. At the time it was the Bears Couple Resort (or something along those lines with two red bears as the logo) and I said I want to go there one day and told everyone I knew about my search on the internet and how awesome it sounded over the 20 plus years! Finally.....Friends of mine (2 couples) spent a weekend here over the summer of 2012, and told me it was excellent and they had a wonderful time. My chance/opportunity/available funds whatever you want to call it finally came.
Everyone is different and that is what makes us so wonderfully unique and the world a special place. We all have expectations when we set out each morning. Like pretty much most places including our homes, we all need an upgrade at some point. It is too bad some of the guests booked before the upgrade took place. But, by no means would I say that is a reason to write it off. Take the Fairmont Royal York downtown Toronto. It is upgraded over time. Our room had definately been upgarded from the 20 years ago when I first looked the resort up.
My husband and I are pretty outgoing, friendly people and the dining staff were wonderful in that we were treated as such. Joked, laughed. The service matched our personality (if that makes sense) Dress code in the dining room....Perhaps the web site has been upgraded sine some of these reviews were written about it. I think it could never have been cleared on the dress code and we packed dress clothes because of it. Don't let those reviews scare you. If you don't want to dress for dinner don't go to the dining room. We have become a very casual society and perhaps have forgotten what "scrict dress code in affect means". If you have ever been on a cruise ship and attended a Formal dinner, you will know what I mean.
The dinner's were fabulous and included in our stay. I wish I could have stayed longer to try all of them in fact. We had breakfast in our room each morning because we wanted to. It arrived on time each morning and was ok. By ok I mean, the portions were excellent, the eggs were excellent and cooked as we asked, the potatoes not so good but they were not our taste, they might be yours. I would agree with some of the comments in that maple syrup could have been served in a "cream" type server as opposed to packages (just a little bit of extra class) The sides for 3$ I think are worth it. If you want extra bacon you have to pay for it. The portions were worth the 3$ extra charge.
I did not experience maintenance problems of any type in our room so I am not sure how they get handled should there have been a problem.
We did try the Jaccuzzi in our room. We started to fill it up and the water had a film on it. We drained and refilled it a few times as well as wiped it down. Finally it was acceptable to us to use. You may be asking yourself "was it dirty". Probably not, perhaps the people before us used a product they should not have that got in the jets. It is a possibility! We prefered the Hot Tub anyway.
We hiked the trails and took some of our own. Very beautiful for that time of year and handy.
Further to some of the reviews I have read on here, I want to point out Customer Service. Customer Service is and always will be the deciding factor of repeat business, good reviews, and new customers. It could be that the number of people booking at the Couples Resort, whether one time or regularly is good enough for the Couples Resort so the people that do not return is ok with them. However, if I had experienced bad customer service I would not return either. In thinking of Customer Service you could look at this as an individual preference as well. Some like to be alone with minimal interaction with the staff. Some need to be smothered by the staff. Our bill was what I expected, we had no problems with our room and the interaction we did have with the staff was acceptable, not exceptional, but acceptable. I would have thought with a five star rating it could have been exceptional. But again, we were there to be alone. We did not use the spa services. If you do, you should EXPECT exceptional service!
Time of year.....no matter where you go depending on the time of year, it may be VERY busy. Think of why you are going to The Couples Resort and pick the appropriate time of year to meet your needs. Off Season: Quiet, less staff In Season: Fast paced, busy, noisier. Like any vacation/time away book it to suit your needs.
In summary: I would definately go to the Couples Resort again and recommend it to everyone. I want to try it in the summer to enjoy the Summer activities, I also want to try it in the Winter to try all the winter activities.
We went to rest, relax and be alone and it could not have been better. Try it for yourself.

Room Tip: Only stayed the one time in an Exoctic room 1st floor. Private and quiet and I think the only rooms...
2  Thank Karen L
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

It is magnificent to hear that you are coming back and recommending Couples Resort to your friends. We look forward to your return and we hope you can do it before another 20 years go by. Tip for 2013: December weekends offer even more value as the prices drop yet more, another 15%. The 1st Weekend in April is even Cheaper! The Exotics, Masters, Utopian Chalets and the Chateaus all have private Outdoor Hot Tubs, certainly the Exotics usually provide the most value. Thank you for a comprehensive look at our Resort and we are glad we succeeded in so many areas. We try to have our staff meet between too friendly and too professional, trying to balance that of being out in the Country and of that in the City, glad you were satisfied. Thank you for understanding that the Resort is a work in progress and that you noticed that we have improved greatly. Bless you for reading all the reviews, that in itself is an incredible undertaking and we are so thrilled you finally made it here.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I needed a getaway for the weekend and we were beyond happy with our choice. Amazing room (get the one with a jacuzzi outside on the deck), incredible food and the most attentive service staff I've ever seen a t a resort. Will definetly go back in the summer

Room Tip: for winter stays, get a room with a jacuzzi on the balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim W
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thanks so much for the compliments. I will certainly forward to our staff! You will love the summer here in Algonquin! There is so much to do.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#5 of 6 in Whitney
Spectacle Lake Lodge
Spectacle Lake Lodge
#3 of 8 in Barry's Bay

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!