“An amazing weekend of rest at The Couples Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Couples Resort

Couples Resort
Elmira, Ontario
“An amazing weekend of rest at The Couples Resort”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from our first and definitely not our last weekend at The Couple Resort in Whitney, Ontario. My wife and I had just experienced the last four months in a hyper stressed environment and needed a break. To do so, we decided to spend four days and three nights at The Couples Resort and we were not disappointed. We could not have chosen a better place for rest and recuperation.

Starting with Mary and the rest of the front office staff we were treated with great care and respect. The food was amazing and the Chefs amuse bouche each evening was delightful. The main entrees outdid the top steakhouses we have experienced. Linda and the serving staff in the restaurant were attentive and accomodated my wifes need for Gluten Free foods. Look for Derek N. in the restaurant at dinner time, he was the most attentive server we have ever experienced. It was a treat to meet the owner at breakfast as he spent time listening to guests as they talked about their experiences at The Resort.

The accommodations were wonderful. We stayed in a Jr suite which included a king size bed, two person jacuzzi, wood burning fireplace and amazing balcony that had a beautiful view of the lake. The couples relaxing massage made for a wonderful afternoon of relaxation.

We would have no reservation in recommending The Couples Resort to anyone looking for a romantic venue to rejuvenate the soul, fill the stomach and rekindle that special relationship. We are looking forward to our next visit to The Couples Resort where we once again can be spoiled by the staff, the beautiful views of rugged nature and the incredible food that kept us filled all day long.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for your praise of Couples Resort. We are always more than happy to accommodate any special needs for food. It is with pleasure to know that your wife was able to enjoy her meals during your time with us. John, the owner, is a very picky eater with many food constraints and his Bride Annica must eat Gluten Free. I am sure all this has helped the Executive Chef, Ronnie, and his Brigade better care for your Bride. Compliments to our staff are definitely passed on. Glad to hear you got the chance to meet and chat with John. When he has the time, he enjoys chatting and hearing about your time spent with us. We hope to see you again very soon.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I just got back from here yesterday after a weekend getaway. All I can say is I can't wait to go back there! The food was fantastic, the chalet was very cozy and romantic and the view from our hot tub was amazing! It may seem kind of expensive when you are first booking but once you factor in the 5 course gourmet dinners as well as the breakfasts that are included, the great rooms and beautiful views as well as the real wood fireplace and hot tub this place is well worth the money! I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Utopian Chalet and even though the room may be a little smaller the fact that you h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
The pictures you shared are fantastic! Thanks so much for them. So glad we could provide you with the perfect spot for your romantic getaway. We look forward to seeing you again.
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Perfect stay. My boyfriend was completely elated with the surprise of two nights here and so was I. Not having to worry about anything except whether to explore the great outdoors or stay cozy by the fire and enjoy the peace and comfort of our room, was bliss. 5 out of 5 on the meals, the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and we just loved everything. Thank you guys!! We can't wait to come back, I'm hoping it will become a very regular retreat for us!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you so much for making the Couples Resort your special place. We look forward to your next visit. So glad that you and your boyfriend were able to enjoy some quiet time away together. So often we forget just how important that is.
Orillia ON
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is our 4th stay at couples resort and always a wonderful experience. We have stayed in most accommodations and all are great. My favorite is the masters suite. This resort is a great place to share time with your partner and feel spoiled. Food is delicious and we love the dining experience of dressing up. We go when the prices are on special and this last visit I found the resort offered alot of extras. Staff are more than accommodating and friendly. We have tried other resorts in the past And by far couples resort is the best. We don't bother looking around for better places anymore. When we decide to take a break we look no further than this resort

• Stayed November 2012
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We couldn't agree more. Sharing special time with one’s partner is so important. Having a place to go to with as little as possible in distractions is ideal. Thank you for thinking of us so often when it comes to enjoying your special time together. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Bradford
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Great food and scenery. The drive up alone will give you tons of points with the wife or girlfriend. Some updated are needed but nothing that would ruin the visit.We will go again and take advantage of the outdoors next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
So happy you enjoyed your stay! And what more could you ask for than brownie points with the lady in your life. The drive up is definitely a great start to your getaway. Come visit us again!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed 2 nights at the resort. I am a hard core camper, where my husband is less so. And, seeing we were there in October, sleeping in a tent in the park was not an option. So, we decided on the resort. Since the 2 of us packed jeans and t shirts (because we spent the days hiking in the park) we never entered the dining room. We knew there was a dress code, and , we really aren't "dressy" kind of people.
We missed the supper the first night, and breakfast the next day. The second night, we had the supper brought to our room. (again, because of the dress code)
The one meal we had was amazing.

The room was a very nice size, and we loved the comfort of the bed, and pillows! We enjoyed the jacuzzi, and the fire place. If it had not been so cold, we would have also loved the balcony.
We both disliked having carpet, especially near the jacuzzi, but I have never been to a "hotel" that did not have carpet.

The staff we spoke to were all very friendly and helpful. They seemed to really enjoy their job.

Algonquin Park is my home away from home....and is a wonderful wonderful place to visit.

I was considering reserving a 2 night stay for my best friend and her husband, as a gift for being amazing people.

If I could afford to go back again myself, I would!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We agree Algonquin Park is amazing, and it is to be loved anyway you can. I am glad that the Couples Resort was something that worked for both of you. I am sure your friends would love it as much as you yourself did. Even meals in the room in front of the fireplace can be amazing. October is a prime time for rates, there are many times in the year, even now, that are now only from $74pp with the meals. If interested we also own a casual lodge nearby that may be the ticket for both; the Adventure Lodge in Algonquin, and rates are even less.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I think the main problem with the bad reviews is that expectations are not being met. This resort over-advertises by calling every feature a 5 star, and "award winning". If they branded themselves "cozy" with delicious food, I don't think anyone would complain.

We stayed in a junior suite in one of the older buildings. The fixtures in the room were definitely dated - gold accents on the fans and the fire place, older carpets and drapes, as well as bathroom fixtures - very 80s. If you can look past that, you will enjoy a luxurious king bed with with fantastic bedding, an awesome giant jacuzzi, and a beautiful view of the river. By far, my favourite thing in the room was the wood burning fireplace! What a rare and romantic feature! I loved sipping wine in bed while listening to the fire crackle.

The resort is built in a way that maximizes your privacy. The only thing I could really complain about is the sound carrying through the walls. I was a little worried when someone next door started playing death metal, but after dinner everything was quiet again, and I had a fantastic sleep.

Now, onto the dining. The resort requires formal dress only. I feel that they could relax a little with that - it is old fashioned, and even the finest restaurants in Toronto do not require men to wear a full suit to dinner. My partner was dressed in a button up shirt, a sports coat, designer jeans, and dress shoes, and was forced to change into some blue "trousers" they had in their wardrobe. He wasn't happy, but I had a good laugh. Overall the restaurant does a great job of creating a very cozy, comfortable, and romantic atmosphere. I like that they don't allow cell phones in the dining room. The staff are also very kind and accommodating.

The food was not bad at all. We both enjoyed the creativity and flavours of the appetizers, but the entrees were just ok. I had the pork, it was kind of bland and beige, and my partner had a steak, which was a bit under-seasoned and tough. I suggest you bring your own wine and pay a $15 corking fee. Totally worth it.

The breakfast the next day was great, but the coffee was awful, although that's not a hard fix.

Overall, we had an amazing time, and are planning to return in the winter months for skiing and skating. I would absolutely recommend this place.

Room Tip: They were all pretty good from what we saw.
1 Thank alex1012hearts
Thank you for your review and we are so warmly awaiting your arrival to try out the winter at the Couples Resort. The photos you took and shared are amazing and we do thank you. We agree with you; if one adjusts ones expectation to be about how the Couple themselves will get to enjoy each other’s company, rather than what a fixture is made of, will have a better experience. We designed this place to be conductive to couples connecting and hopefully in this way we are on the right track. Star Grading’s are given based on a whole set of criteria that in the end will not make one happier, that is up to oneself. We use the Grading for new customers to have a some sense of quality at the Couples Resort. The carpet in your room was brand new as these rooms underwent a $10,000 per room upgrade this Spring. Typical inside home walls are 4” thick, these walls are 1 foot thick, but are not as sound proof as Exotic’s or Master’s Walls which are poured Concrete. The Cottages (Villas, Chateaus, Chalets) we have of course are the quietest. The dress code was a decision made by over 1000 guests via a poll this year. 80% said keep a strict dress code, so we have to keep it. Many like getting dressed up for the evening, it seems to make the whole dining experience that much more of an experience, after all it is just about the couple and no one else. I am glad your partner provided a good laugh for you. We do provide free room service for those that do not like to get dressed up. Thank you and see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#10 of 19 in Barrie
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!