Couples Resort
  • Restaurant
$62
Nomi Resort(Harcourt)
$101
Mountain View Motel(Barry's Bay)(Great Value!)
$70
$99
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssteam showerjunior suitedining roomdress codemy husband and iwood burning fireplaceroom servicegames roomspa villaalgonquin parkdining experiencehorseback ridingprivate hot tubour honeymooncourse mealbear trailk cups
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were at the Couples Resort for the second time at the end of Sept 2012. We love the ease of everything there. It is a small location, family run, and just can't be beat. The rooms are gorgeous. We especially love the personal hot tubs on the balcony. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you are interested in the private hot tub we found the Jr. Exotic room to be excellent. We have also stayed in the Masters Suite, which is larger, but felt the extra room isn't really needed. And the balcony of the Exotic felt more private.
1  Thank Sue B
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thanks for your return visit. We love that many of our guest keep coming back year after year. And the photos are fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Two night stay at the Couples Resort as a last minute decision for a place to stay near Algonquin while on a fishing trip was a disaster from start to finish. The dinner requires a strict dress code and as we were on a fishing trip I didn't have a dress, I showed up in smart jeans and a dressy shirt and was declined entry to the dining room. I appeciate that they are trying to create a certain atmosphere in the dining room however the situation was not handled well. A wait staff asked if I "had never worn a dress before" and I was made to feel as though I needed to justify why I didn't have a dress. They have an offer of a change of clothes for men but scurried around to find out whether they had something for women as no one in the wait staff in the dining room seemed to know. All that needed to be said was that I could not have dinner in the dining room and the alternative of room service was available I would have been fine with that. Steak arrived without a steak knife, we called down for a steak knife and the same exact table knife we already had arrived. Either there are no steak knives or the dining staff don't know what one is?! The food and the entire atmosphere of this place is exceedingly pretentious and outdated. Wild Boar was overcooked, salad dressings far too salty. Scrambled eggs ordered at breakfast came as fried eggs. It is laughable that there is such a strict dress code for such mediocre food. Serving four courses at dinner does not necessarily mean the food is good, perhaps quality over quanity should be a new strategy. We waited 30 mins at the Sports Complex for an employee to open the facility. It was only after another guest used a golf cart that was left there to go to the front desk that someone came in the end. We asked for the room to be cleaned and came back to find the bed had been made but there was still mud on the floor. Overall I would say this resort may be suitable for older couples but is still badly in need for improvements in customer service and food quality.

8  Thank nal0112

I am sorry that you came to our Resort under different assumptions. I am very sorry that you decided to stay with us at the Couples Resort and that you didn’t leave right away instead of enduring 2 days of disaster from start to finish. Our policies allow you to leave without penalty when you are having such a horrible time from the very beginning. We have implemented this policy for guests such as you, who for us are about 1 guest in a 1000 guests, and this ratio seems to be consistent over the last decades that we have been here.
We enforce a very strict dress code that our guests demand of us. We inform guests of our dress code in 4 manners. Guests receive it when they talk with our reservations department or book on-line. Guests receive it in their Confirmation Email. Guests can see it on our dining room link on our website. And guests can see it on TripAdvisor under the worst comments about our Resort, now yours included. Unfortunately it seems that the handful of guests that disagree with our strict dress code, compared to the tens of thousands who do not disagree, always have lots of bad things to say about many things here at our Resort. I am sure you were dressed very beautifully when you came down to dinner, but this policy is in place to make sure everyone has a wonderful dinner. Remember it is not the Couples Resort that has chosen the dress code, it is its patrons. We put out a recent poll, 1000 guests surveyed and over 80% of them said yes to a strict dress code, the reason, because it is a special night for them as a couple. We are none apologetic especially when we go out of the way to inform, ignorance is no excuse and certainly no reason to blame us. If you were properly planned I am sure you would have had a delightful time as well.
We do get fisherman/woman here and often they are surprised how good the catch is. Even the chef will prepare it for you so you can have it for a lunch or dinner. They just are better aware of their requirement to enjoy all the Resort has to offer.
It is unfortunate you didn't come a week earlier, prices were considerably lower. There was a big event going on in the area at the time you were here which pushed the prices very high, especially last minute. I am a bit cheap myself and my wife and I prefer to stay in 2 and 3 Star properties to save money, but even here by altering your stay by a few days you could have saved about half of the price of your stay. It is always good to ask whenever you travel and book if there is another time nearby that is less costly.
FYI; 50% of our accommodations have been renovated in the last 2 years at a cost of $10,000 per accommodation. All our accommodations exceed 5 Diamond Standards in Amenities. Some accommodations are Old European Style, others are Tribal African and others Modern and clean. Our dining room is also renovated in the last 2 years. It has all European furniture and carpets, from Italy and Denmark and finished in American Oak. Nothing British though, perhaps that is why we are dated, or just have a different style than you are accustomed to.
We have made a choice here that we feel is actually an “Appropriate fit for the Algonquin Park surroundings”. Have you heard of the 50 Mile Diet, think this when you think about the Couples Resort. We have used our Natural Environment to set the external look of our Resort. Algonquin Park is made up of many log homes and many homes that have pine siding, and we have decided to follow that design as well. Our buildings are all finished in natural wood products, where you can see the knots of the wood, and we also use a lot of granite from the Canadian Shield. All the pine siding we use is from our local saw mills. All the granite we use is from our local quarries. This year’s new staff house for 8 will be covered in local hemlock lumber to gray naturally. Couples Resort will not look like any other style, Algonquin has its own, and we choose to blend into the environment we live in.
We try very hard to blend into our surroundings. Even when you consider the wood burning fireplace in your accommodation, compared to all the new fireplace designs that only burn gas or are electric....my choice and hopefully yours is to prefer our design that uses real wood, real wood that we gather locally. I am sure you also saw our very large vegetable gardens and this past week we were still pulling organic vegetables out to use in our Kitchen. Also every year for the last few years we have invested significant money into the WWF to help protect Canadian animals; after all we are surrounded by many of them here. Funny, while writing this response 3 lake Otters, came out to play out on the rocks which I can see from my window, they (the animals) are always thankful.
I was recently staying in a few new hotels that just opened this year in Toronto. Each had its own style; either Funky or Sophisticated. The new designs have plenty of glass, crystal, exposed infrastructure, concrete and lots of plaster facades. Personally I do not think we would want the new design here up at Algonquin, they are better and more appealing in the environment they are located in, the city, surrounded by parking lots and other big buildings.
Fortunately for those that want the big city in the country; the heart of Muskoka has some Resorts that come closer to representing the big cities as they also tend to build cottages that look more like Castles. The Resorts there often house hundreds if not close to a thousand guests. However, I do not think we want to be represented by the Castles of the heart of Muskoka or do we want to be represented by the newest styles coming out in the Cities of Toronto and around the World. We prefer taking care of our couples in the quiet embrace of Algonquin Park and since we only have 46 rooms even the Resort will often feel calm and peaceful, just like Algonquin. I hope that our Resort can continue to look and feel more like Algonquin Park, than the newest fad design.
Again I am deeply sorry that you had this experience at our Resort. It is our deepest wish that everyone has a great time with us. We listen and we have changed so much at this Resort over the years to help customers have a better time. We hope that you will try us again, under the right prefixes, and you too will be delighted. Hope you caught lots of fish as many of our other fishing guests have. JohnS – Owner.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My Husband and I spent 2 nights at the Couples Resort recently. When I first opened the door to our Jr. Suite it was like the most totally amazing room I have ever seen! For the last 2 years my Family have been the caregivers for my Parents so it was a very relaxing and enjoyable time. We had the relaxation massage one day and the hot stone the next day they were both very relaxing but I personally enjoyed the hot stone one more because of the heat. We went on the walking trails one evening which was so very quiet and nice no kids to be heard. The meals were amazing even with them brought to our room they were hot and lots to eat. We totally enjoyed having our own private hot tub just outside our balcony door. We took a day trip to Algonquin Visitors Centre and shops in Whitney. All in all we will always remember our stay at The Couples Resort.

1  Thank Patti W
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

We all know how every day life can just exhaust us. Yours seems to have been even more tiring. I applaud you for taking care of your parents. I am sure it has been draining on you as a couple. I am so glad that Couples Resort was able to provide you with a much needed break and time to reconnect. I too love the heat of the hot stones. Especially in the cooler months! We hope that you get the chance to visit us again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have been to the Couples Resort probably 1/2 doz times. We are never disappointed, we have tried 3 different types of rooms and they are all awesome. On our first visit, one item that was on the online menu was no longer available but when the waiter checked with the chef, he went out and bought the ingredients and made it for us the next night! Do you know of any other place that would go out of their way like that?

Room Tip: our last trip we stayed in a masters suite, so far my favourite
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Britta J
Darlene_O, Public Relations Manager at Couples Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for your continued support of The Couples Resort. We love to hear that when someone on the team has gone out of their way to do something so special and memorable for one of our guests. We hope you continue to have many more wonderful experiences here.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights September 17-19th 2012. We stayed in the 'Master Junior Suites', in the room named 'Van Gogh'.

The accommodations in the room are absolutely stunning. There is a Jacuzzi beside the bed, a Hot Tub on the balcony, Steam Shower, a small kitchenette (sink, bar fridge, microwave), and even a Bidet. In my opinion it was worth the premium, as all the accommodations were well used by both of us.

In the dining room the food is very good, and plentiful. The staff also encourages you to take your leftovers, which we found great considering we had the mini fridge, and microwave. I packed light, and felt a little underdressed in the dining room. A dress code is in effect, no shorts, jeans, flip-flops, or golf shirts. I did get away with wearing a golf shirt however, and no one made a fuss. They also offer a $15 corkage fee if you bring your own wine, and there is a LCBO in town.

We did go to the Spa a couple of days. If you plan on doing any Spa days, ensure they are booked in advance, as the schedule was pretty tight to fit us in.

There is also a lot of 'free' amenities. Bikes, paddle boats, canoes, kayaks, and sail boats are all included. Fishing boats, horseback riding, and dogsledding are all available.

All in all, it was a very good honeymoon. Lots of romance, great food, fun activities, and a stone throw from Algonquin Park.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Congratulations! And many years of love and happiness to come! I am glad you enjoyed all the amenities the Master Suites have to offer. And that you took advantage of the free activities and low corkage fee. We strive to do all we can to make your stay perfect. If you get a chance to return in the winter please do. That hot tub is all the more inviting after a day of dog sledding, skating and making snow angels!