“Lovely couples resort”

Couples Resort
Newmarket, Canada
“Lovely couples resort”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Just returned from a 2-night stay for our 27th Anniversary. It was our 2nd time to this resort. We had a lovely time, relaxing of course, but have some comments to make it better.

PROS:
Rooms: Lovely, spacious rooms. We stayed in the Masters Suites- it is very spacious with lovely room furniture, very comfortable King sized Bed, Nice shower, fireplace, comfy couch and best of all-a private hot tub on the deck. There is a whirlpool tub in your room, but who really uses this with the hot tub on the deck?

Food: We found the food excellent, and plenty of it. Breakfast and dinner is included in your stay. We did not have lunch as had a late breakfast and no need of lunch.

Service: Always accomodating. Wait staff very pleasant and effecient.

Spa: We had a couples massage. This was lovely. As a past guest, we were given a free massage and June special was 50% off for the 2nd one.

Travel time: June I guess is less busy, so they had some specials. I believe our room was 50% off, so we felt we got a really good deal. It was $645 for 2 nights. Great deal! If you can travel at this time, you will get a good deal.

CONS:
Grounds: The curb appeal of the resort is not that great. It would have been nicer is more private. The rooms overlook a small lake, which looks onto cottages on the other side. With the hot tubs on the deck, there isnt much privacy. There are some nice walking trails. There isnt much landscaping.

Rooms: The extra cost for coffee/tea in room is excessive, since you pay a good fee for your room. They should leave 4 pods(coffee/tea/hot choc) each night per room, free of charge...that would be nice. They should put up lattice in front of hot tub for more privacy, leave half open.

Pools/Hot Tub: Come on people...there are only adults coming to this resort. Why do you feel the need to close the pool and 5pm? You even lock the gates to ensure no-one gets in. ridiculous, really! It should be left open till at least 11 pm.

Sports Centre: Again, closes at 5pm...so no bikes, boats, sporting equipment. We are Adults...please get with the program here and offer these to us until 11 pm.

There appears to be lots of honeymooners that come here. The staff are all very friendly and accomodating. It could be much better if they revise the CONS as listed above.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mythreeboys89

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My girlfriend surprised me with a birthday/anniversary trip to the resort. It was a much needed night of relaxation. The room (Thailand) was fantastic, the spa treatments great. Dinner was good. Love the new menu but do miss the wild boar and strawberries. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank rybak1988
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at the Couples Resort. What an amazing place! Our room (exotic jr suite) was beautiful, spacious and very clean. The bed was huge and very comfortable. I was disappointed however with the quality of bedding...not five star by any means but comfortable non the less. There was a flat screen tv and a woodburning fireplace - a very nice touch. The bathroom was nice with a steam shower complete with benches. There was a small kitchen area with microwave, fridge and keurig coffee maker...and yes as other reviewers have mentioned there is a $2 charge for each K cup. We brought our own. There was a jacuzzi tub in our room which we didn't use cause we had a hot tub on our balcony. That was great and we did enjoy it often. How nice to relax in the tub with a view of the beautiful lake! I cannot say enough about the quality of food! It was absolutely spectacular! Gourmet all the way! The portions were more than adequate and with five courses I cannot think that anyone would leave hungry. And how nice to have a dress code for dinner. No ball caps, track pants....and no cell phones or texting. Breakfasts were delicious as well. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. The reception staff were especially helpful. We had beautiful hot and sunny weather and did get a chance to use the salt water pool. The temperature was 90! We rented a motor boat one afternoon and what a bargain it turned out to be! $50 for 5 1/2 hours! Our stay was very relaxing. I found the resort quiet and very private. We're planning a return trip in the fall!!

2 Thank Nancyd751
Markham, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have been to Couples twice and will likely go back - The service was above and beyond the average and everyone was most accomodating to make our stay worth every penny we spent. The idea of having your own private cabin is most romatic and you get the feeling you are the only couple up there. The food was awesome and plentiful - recommend the food is definately a 5 star. The spa was well worth the trip, you are made to feel special by the staff. We stayed in Cygnus and there is only one recommendation I have - the couch could be replaced as it is even softer than the year before. This is only a minor thing and our week end was most enjoyable.

2 Thank Marion S
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I spent 7 days here a couple summers ago for our honeymoon.

We stayed in a chateau and have never resided in such luxury. Huge bed, whirlpool, hot time, steam shower room, sauna, warm stone wall fireplace. We loved the scenery and surroundings. Went to Algonquin Park one day and horseback riding another. Had a wonderful wolf howl evening cruise, and enjoyed time during the days canoeing, paddle boating, rented a powerboat.

We met the matriarch of the Sorensen family in her art studio and had a lovely conversation heating stories about the property and her art.

The breakfasts were wonderful each morning in the dining room or on our private screened in gazebo. Nothing compared to the 5-course gourmet dinners thou. My wife has a number of food allergies and the chef prepared seperate dishes each night, modified so she could enjoy her meals as much as I did. Out of this world!

We did pay a pretty penny for all the extras but we decided since it was our honeymoon, we could go all out and never regret missing out on something. Would love to take her back for an anniversary - maybe #5 if I start saving now!

Cannot say in words how much we loved this place.

Room Tip: Lake view! It's beautiful in the morning, day, sunset AND under the starry night!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gburl78
Waterdown, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We just spent a few days at this resort, and here are a few things we thought we would like to add. First of all. the rooms are beautiful and large. Having said that, they charged $2.00 for a cup of coffee for each pod you put in the machine. Having spent quite a bit I expected that to be included. They did not serve breakfast until 8:30 so nowhere else to get a cup of coffee not even room sevice started until then. This seemed a little strange, but they had a lot of time restrictions. The pool did not open until 12 noon and closed by 5pm so on a hot day like the long weekend just passed it was ridiculous. Not to mention it was heated at 88 degrees and it was 90 or more outside so no too cooling. The sport centre was also open at 11 am and closed by 4:30 so if you wanted to canoe after that, tough luck. The air was broke down this weekend so at supper we got to sweat out most of our meals except for the last day, finally. They said there was two staff members for every one guest but I don't agree with that at all. I hardly saw that many people on the resort. Same person served us at breakfast in the room, and lunch at the pool area and also dinner. It was all in all a dissapointment for the money. I still made good of the things that were okay I just think they need to work on there service a bit more and own up to there reputation.

Room Tip: spa villa, own parking, nice big room with jacuzzi and private setting
7 Thank Kimberly C
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Couples Resort May 19-21, 2012, for our 2-year wedding anniversary.

Room:

We stayed in the Master Junior Suite’s located on the top floor of the building next to the Reception/dinning building. Our room was the Monet. The room was huge and elegant. It included a Swedish steam shower designed for two, a separate toilet/bidet room, jacuzzi tub, a four poster king-sized bed with down-filled pillow top, sitting area with 50+inch flat-screen TV, small table for two and a wood burning fireplace. There was a private patio (tinted glass) overlooking beautiful Galaiery Lake with a 4 person hot tub and two lounge chairs.

The room is designed to create intimacy and it worked. The outside hot tub was the highlight of the room. The room also came with a fridge, sink and Keurig coffee maker (tip: bring your own K-cups, bottled water, pop, etc… as they charge extra for theirs).

The sheets were very cheap and scratchy. It seemed odd to me for such a fancy room.

Food:

The food was excellent. The 5 course fine dining restaurant is very elegant. The weekend we were there was very hot and the AC in the dining room did not work very well at all – it was steamy. I felt bad for my poor husband in his tux! The meal consists of an amuse bouche, your choice of 2 starters, 1 entrée and dessert. The meal is very filling and I had to take my dessert to go each night. We had specialty coffee after dinner but it carried a hefty $40.00 price tag with it…

My favourite dish was the semi-boneless quail. If they have it on the menu, I highly recommend it.

The breakfast was just as excellent. I also highly recommend the eggs Benedict – the Canadian bacon is melt-in-your-mouth.

If you are “active” during the day, I suggest packing some non-perishable snacks to stave off your hunger in-between breakfast and dinner. Buying lunch at this place could set you back a mortgage payment!

Service:

The service at the restaurant was very good. Our server on our second night seemed overwhelmed or perhaps he was new, so he forgot a few things but still a great meal.
The service at the bar during the day was awful. The bartended didn’t know how to make a long island iced tea, he made me wait forever while he researched it and when I asked him about getting some food, he told me I could “go to the gift shop and buy a chocolate bar” despite the fact that the resort provides lunch.

I called down one evening for an ice bucket and two champagne flutes (the resort does not have public ice machines and the room comes with a small tray of ice which was melted into one solid block) and they told me I would have to pay a $10.00 fee. I hung up.

Grounds:

Aside from the beautiful view of the lake and Algonquin park, I expected more from the grounds. Not very well manicured – overgrown. Perhaps it improves throughout the summer.

Activities:

They have a recreation room with pool tables, etc… my husband and I did not use it, though. Did did hike the Bear Trail. Tip: take a picture of the map to refer to at a later point – it can be a little confusing once you’re in there.

Overall comments:

We paid almost $1200.00 for two nights at this resort, so we were taken aback by all of the extra “fees”. It really wouldn’t have killed them to include a free cocktail by the pool or champagne flutes and bucket at no charge. I feel like these small details ultimately affect their star rating for the negative in my view.

This resort is designed for couples and romance and very successfully so. It is a great getaway to do some rekindling. Keep this in mind when travelling to this resort – there are not many activities to keep you busy (you have to make your own fun!!)

Special shout of to the two couples who travelled together and showed up at dinner wasted and were loud and disrespectful: stay at a Super 8 next time – it’s more up your alley.

Room Tip: Pay the money to get one of the rooms with the outdoor, private hot tub. I believe they are the Mast...
6 Thank Geena S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
The Mad Musher
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney

Been to Couples Resort? Share your experiences!