My wife and I bought and received gift certificates to use at the Couples Resort. We had called in advance to clarify if there were any restrictions on them. We were told "no restrictions". Upon check in, we were told some of the gift certificates could only be used on accommodation, and some only used towards spa treatments. And the ones that could be used on accommodation , had to be used on their most expensive rooms, not the one we booked. So basically , a lot of restrictions, our gift certificates were worthless and our room needed to just be paid out of pocket. Needless to say this was quite frustrating and upsetting. The girl at reception was as helpful and understanding as she could be, she showed me on their website where it listed the restrictions (to this day I cannot find it on my own, so if it is on their website , it is buried deep). She had to check with three other people on their gift certificate policies, and got three different answers. Nobody knew the policies. At this point my frustration was starting to show and the owner Jon Sorenson came out of the back room to confront me. He was pissed off from the start , no apology for the misunderstanding , no empathy for our situation , not willing to bend or compromise or do anything to make us happy. He accused my wife and I of lying to him and trying to scam them. At one point I was so upset with his attitude I actually said to my wife "I don't know if I even want to stay here anymore", his response was "you don't know if you don't want to stay here? Let me make this easy for you , we don't want you to stay here." I had to leave to calm down after that. When I cam back in , I had asked him "you would rather not take any of our gift certificates , have us leave unhappy , not want to ever come back and tell every one we know about what a horrible experience this was?" He said "absolutely. Because we turn people away , that's why we are the only privately owned resort in Ontario left." After a couple more accusations of us trying to scam him, he literally reduced my wife to tears. Only after he saw my wife weeping and her pleading her case to him about how we are honest people did his attitude change a bit. His only compromise was he was willing to raise the price of our room , to allow us to use the gift certificates , which didn't make any sense , we ended up just paying for the room and decided to try to have a good holiday despite this man, and this experience.
I have to say the rooms are quite nice , although I do agree with other comments on this site about gouging you for everything. Like the coffee and tea k-caps. $2 a piece. If you don't want people filling their suitcases with them , don't put 30 of them in the room , leave 2 a day. Also the breakfast we had in the room the next day was horrible. The eggs were rubbery, the toast wasn't toasted and the home fries were still raw. If you want any extra sides , you are $3 a piece , which I find to be a bit steep considering the price of accommodation. I had a better breakfast for $6 at the East Gate Motel just around the corner. Also , despite what the website says about being able to use Apple products with their free wi-fi. This is false. I had brought an iPod touch, and was not able to connect. I called the front desk and was told apple products, iPod's, iPad's and macs don't work very well on their server and if I wanted to buy the unlimited wi-fi package for $20 a day , it should work then.
The dinner experiences were very good. Food was quite good, and the service was exceptional. We decided we would get some spa treatments after we checked out. The day before we booked them with the front desk and she quoted us a price , the next day , after our treatments , when we went to pay , the price had changed. Apparently the girl the day before was incorrect and quoted us too low. So again , we had to pay more than expected. For a place whose tag line is "let us spoil you" , at the end of it , I certainly did not feel spoiled. I understand policies and procedures , but clearly not even the staff knows the policies , so how do you expect customers to understand them? I can get past all that , but to deal with a man as stubborn and rude as this Jon Sorenson (owner) is the reason I will never go back to the Couples Resort. There are several other resorts in the area , where hopefully you will be treated like a human being.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners and recently married couples come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. This is quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 23 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River, with Algonquin Park as our backyard. The village of Whitney, Ontario is a short 15-minute walk away. We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking.Those of you who need to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. There are many ways to do nothing if that is your wish. On the other hand, unlimited activities will keep the adventurer active all year round. Ontario's Natural Algonquin Park is ideal for the sport enthusiast or avid adventurer who will be delighted with the extraordinary activities available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Couples Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Ontario/Whitney