Having read many critical reviews, we really were unsure of what to expect. But the two days we spent there were not enough, and I would have to say we would go again. How to describe it? We had an Exotic Jr. room. The bed was fantastic; the hot tub outside was nice, the one inside was nice, the fireplace worked well, if you know how to build a fire. Our room was clean and we felt very comfortable. The food was very enjoyable and the corkage fee was palatable, for Ontario (you have to remember, this is the province that gouges you for every/anything alcoholic...)
But... it is not five star. Four and half, maybe four and three quarters on a good day, but not five, unless you are counting on a scale of one to seven. Everyone we met was very freindly, eager to help and tried their absolute best. But we are not talking about French trained waiters and Milan concierges. This is Northern Ontario, hundreds of kilometers from anything remotely civilized, and these poor people work here 12 - 14 hours a day. We loved them, they worked their butts off, and made our stay easy and pleasant. But, be realisitic...
Caveats: the $2/coffee charge is stupid. If they don't like people stealing from them, put less in the room; who needs more than 2/day anyway?
'Eco-fee' should be optional; for those whose consciences torment them for their evironmental excesses, it's an easy way to blot out the guilt. But as a standard surcharge, it's cheesy.
Music: if you like your own music bring a jump-drive rather than your ipod; the ipod player is just a clock radio; the jump drive will play through your TV, which has better sound.
Internet access: a little more information up front would be good. The free version wouldn't let me access corporate e-mail (did my wife do that?). I was a little surprised that they would charge extra for unlimited Internet, but hey, remember where they are????
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is here that couples celebrating birthdays and anniversaries as well as honeymooners come to relax, embrace love, enjoy the organic spa and find the time to share an adventure. Quite literally the hottest place to be in all four seasons, with 10 saunas, 27 walk-in steam rooms, 21 walk-in euro-showers, 48 outdoor hot tubs and 48 in-room Jacuzzi tubs each in front of a wood burning fireplace. All accommodations at the Couples Resort Exceed 5 Diamond standards, North America's toughest standards. Ontario's Couples Resort is situated on the shores of Galeairy Lake and the Madawaska River,with Algonquin Park as our backyard. . We are surrounded with breathtaking wilderness, pure fresh air, secluded forests, pristine waters, an abundance of sunny days and a blanket of stars at night. This priceless peace and tantalizing tranquility is all yours for the taking. Those of needing to escape from the bustle will find us calming and rejuvenating. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Couples Hotel Whitney
- Bear Trail Couples Resort
- Couples Resort Ontario/Whitney