“Last minute - wrong decision to take this B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitney
Bellwood Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 3 Whitney B&B and Inns
Tres Cantos, España
“Last minute - wrong decision to take this B&B”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked this B&B last minute for the long weekend (215$ w/tax for 2 nights for 2 adults + 1 child). We were asked to pay in advance so we asked to see the rooms and the owner made a really big deal about this request and said that even if we didn’t like the rooms we would have to pay full price for our 2 night booking (!!). This was not a good start, I am surprised to read from other reviews that they are friendly when he didn’t bother to start arguing in front of our son...

Rooms: When we got to the level 2 to review the rooms we were completely in shock: all of it was very disorganised, cracks in the walls, cleaning products around, etc. I can live with an old B&B but this is beyond that, with the pics you can see by yourself.
Baths: We didn’t dare to use the shared bathrooms, ...
Shared grounds: We looked at the BBQ at the back and it was pretty dirty from previous uses, in general I would say it was not a good experience. There was fireplace
Breakfast was poor
Location is not bad, around 15km to Algonquin park but that is the only good thing I can think of.

I wouldn't recommend this

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank viajesoj2010
BellwoodInn, Manager at Bellwood Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Sorry you didn’t enjoy yourself; I wish you would have asked to for a room at our brand new motel that is located right next door if our bed and breakfast was not to your liking.

To respond to your concerns, we take payment in advance because it helps us keep costs down to save our customers money which is evident in the price that you paid, ($35 per person including tax and breakfast). We are completely full on a regular basis, so what our staff member was trying to convey to you is that when you reserve a room with us, we hold that room for you and turn away dozens of other guests. It’s not fair for you to reserve a room and then cancel last minute because you wanted to see the place before you stayed the night. The cancellation policy that you agreed to upon booking and that is clearly listed on our website says “People who give less than 48 hours notice to cancel or don't show up without calling are charged the full rate” It’s a standard policy for accommodation business’s across the world.

The one shared bathroom is newly renovated; there is nothing wrong with it. The other one is just old, they are both cleaned daily.

The BBQ’s could use more attention; although they are only slightly more greasy than the ones you would find in most people’s homes, it’s because of the amount ours used. I will do my best in the future to see that they are cleaned more frequently.

Our breakfasts are not poor, there meals like bacon and eggs with toast and orange juice, Large homemade waffles with fruit and little sausages, breakfast sandwiches and more.

There are many things in our B&B and they are mostly there because they are steeped in the history of the place. If cleaning supplies were left out and it bothered you, I sincerely apologize and i will make efforts to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Cost: (After tax) $77/room per night (we booked 2 rooms for 2 nights)-this includes breakfast if you live at Bellwood Inn B&B. (if you live at DreamCatcher Inn, you can pay $10 for breakfast)

Room: Four of us friends went to Algonquin around August 18th, 2013, and stayed at Bellwood Inn B&B for 2 nights. We really enjoyed the "traditional" Canadian decoration of our rooms (quilts with flower patters, carved cupboards, little animal statues on top of bed).

Breakfast: We thought the breakfasts were great. Each day we had a fresh piece of fruit/yogurt, and either a breakfast sandwich and or a hot breakfast plate, with meat, which we really like. They also served coffee and tea. The cafe is really neat too.

Washrooms: One of the washrooms (the large one on the second floor) looks like a mansion- very fancy. The only thought is that there are only 2 washrooms shared between 6 rooms (each room having around 2-3 guests) They are a little too frequently occupied sometimes.

Barbecue: The barbecue is ok for most part (located at the back of the house patio), however, there is no light on top of the patio/back of the house, so we couldn't see anything during the night while bbq-ing. It was quite a pain, a suggestion for the owners is to install a movement-sensitive light at the back of the house in case guests arrive in late at night and needs to use the barbecue to eat.

Overall: We've enjoyed our stay at Bellwood, the owners and family are nice, the place is nice, would come again! (definitely worth the price)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
BellwoodInn, Manager at Bellwood Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your very nice review and your suggestions! It's so very nice to hear feedback from customers who are able to see what we try to make Bellwood Inn. That is, a clean, comfortable and affordable country inn steeped in the history of the town.
In response to your concern about there not being enough bathrooms, currently only 4 rooms share the two bathrooms (not 6 like you mentioned), Rooms 5 and 6 both have private bathrooms. Also on that note, we are planning a major renovation where every room will soon have a private on-sweet bathroom as well a separate renovation where all of the rooms will get second level deck access.
Thank you for your recommendation regarding the light on the deck. I have never thought that this might be a problem probably because I'm usually at the office in the evenings but it makes sense, my father is an electrician so adding a light out there won't be difficult and we will implement that upgrade as soon as possible!

Thanks very much, we hope to see you again sometime!
Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Bellwood Inn B&B and were very happy there. We found it via Internet and it met the expectations we gained there. The Room was spacious for 3 people and it is cozily decorated, tending to be kitschy. The beds were comfortable and although we were there in moskito prime-time in June we had no issues with insects inside the building. The breakfast incl. bacon and eggs was made and served by the hosts themselves and was tasty. It is about 5 minutes by car to Algonquin Park which was comfortable as well.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
BellwoodInn, Manager at Bellwood Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked this B&B not by choice but availability. It is Canada day long weekend and we booked it only two days in advance. All bedrooms are at second floor. The room is small and decor is old. But at least beds are comfortable and very clean. I had a very good night of sleep. I believe it is due to fresh air from forest. The breakfast is not so good (I compare it with one in London). I feel it should at least include a egg or meat. The hostess prepared two french toast with hot coffee.
The floor at the second floor is little shaking when people walk on it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I have made the recommendation that meat be included with every meal. Most of our breakfast already do include meat such as bacon and eggs, waffles and bacon, breakfast sandwiches with ham and more. If you or anyone ever feels that your meal is lacking anything, please feel free to make requests!
Essex
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We visited Canada and booked this so called updated, double room with en suite, at the Algonquin Dream Catcher Motel and Bellwood Inn. We stayed at the Inn B&B. When we arrived we sent to the office of the 'motel' where a man with no shoes and blackened feet slouched in a chair behind the desk. He confirmed the booking and took the balance of payment and stode off saying he would show us our room. We grabbed our cases and were shown a cluttered lounge off a thin hall way on the way to our room. The man then went up the steep, plastic covered stair case and stood leaning againt the bannisters, opposite the bowing wall of our bedroom, and watched us drag our suitcases up the stairs. He stated breakfast started at 8.30am and that was the last we saw of him or his wife. The 'bed' was actually a sofa bed (broken at the foot)with a matress added on top. I sat down on it and pulled the curtain back in front of me to reveal a bath behind it - not 3 foot from where I was to sleep. That really is taking ensuite to the extreme. mWe had a very uncomfortable night and left early. Needless to say we did not stay for breakfast, for if the accomodation was a prequel to the delights of breakfast we felt it safer to eat else where. We travel quite a lot, but I think that apart from the flea ridden bed in a no star hostel in deepest Peru, this is the worst place we have stayed. The only good thing was its proximity to Algonquin Park. They sent an email asking how we had enjoyed our stay - I replied with 'Words fail us!!'

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank macpac61
BellwoodInn, Manager at Bellwood Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
My feet were black because I was gardening and you came before check in time. I was slouching in the chair because it had just broke earlier that morning and it had no support, a new one arrived the next day. Showing you to your room is nicer than telling you where it is is’int it?. The building is “historic” it was built in 1929 as advertised and we’re renovating it a little at a time. If the tub has to face into the bedroom in order to offer a private bathroom in each room than what’s wrong with that? People pay allot of money to have Jacuzzi’s in the bedroom at hotels. I pay extra for that regularly when my wife and I travel. We have half of our B&Bs renovation completed and its sad that this customer can’t appreciate the history of the place and was just looking for a completely modern facility as inexpensive as possible. For $85 per night including breakfast for two it is unreasonable to expect someone to carry your luggage to your room unless you request it and if you would have requested it I would have been more than happy to carry your luggage, I would carry you to your room if you would have asked me to. I take pride in my job and I regularly go above and beyond for the thousands of customers that I have stay here each year. I made a fantastic breakfast that included a large homemade waffle with fresh blue berry’s, whipped cream and bacon on the side with fresh coffee and orange juice. How can you review something you admit you never stayed for? You never told us you weren’t coming for breakfast and yours went to waste because of your lack of consideration for others which is again evident with your extremely biased review for us. In your trip advisor review you make fun of us for emailing you to say that we hope you enjoyed your stay (which is a good customer service thing to do) and then you seem happy about putting us down publicly with your reply 'Words fail us!!' You never complained once while you were here so you never gave us any opportunity to address any of your concerns however unique they might be. We have a brand new motel that is right next door to our B&B, if you would have just asked I would have been very happy to give you one of our deluxe rooms at it. I would recommend you stick to 5 star resorts because hostels and B&B’s don’t seem to be the kind of thing you can reasonably enjoy.
toronto
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed for a night at the bed and breakfast portion of the property in the room with ensuite bath. It was a small room decorated in QEE style: a camp folding chair, wooden stools, a very low to the floor (legless?) rockable chair, flower table lamp, curtain separated bath/shower. The toilet and wash basin in a closet sized space enclosed by a door. There was a coffee maker, kettle and microwave oven in the hall way along with a basket of folded towels. Also in the hall way was a shelve full of Reader's Digest books. Breakfast was served from 8:30 to 10:00 in the dining room down stairs. On the way into the dining room, you were greeted by a grizzly hide with claws and forlorn eyes. We were told it was given to the B&B by a hunter and would stretch from floor to ceiling. It must've been a majestic beast when it was alive. There was also a stuffed red fox with a white tipped tail. The breakfast was served by a very friendly staff. It was a ham &egg on a toasted sesame bagel with lettuce & tomato, along with a very yummy freshly baked oatmeal cookie, fruit yogurt and all washed down by coffee and OJ. Our stay was priced very reasonably. The inn was only minutes from the east gate of Algonquin Park. It was difficult to find the place in the dark as their website only provided GPS coordinates and for some reason, my iPhone wouldn’t take the coordinates.  Their street address is 29762 Highway 60 East, Whitney, Ont, K0J 2M0.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! Were very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and our breakfast! We don’t recommend using GPS to find us as it can lead you down back roads. We have taken your feedback about being hard to find to heart and installed a brand new, very large sign that is close to the road. Next year it will be lit up!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
Arowhon Pines
Algonquin Eco-Lodge
#3 of 15 in Algonquin Provincial Park
Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Trails Edge Bed & Breakfast

Been to Bellwood Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!