Hotel Adler
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Germania Hotel(Reutlingen)
  • Room Service
All reviewstrouthotel restaurantbreakfast roomliechtensteincastlecurtainsbalconybedroomgermany
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel staff was not to be found at the front desk when we arrived. We rang the bell and waited for someone to show up. When they finally showed up, we were given a key to the room to check it out and when we came back, again no one was on the front desk. I retrieved the items from the vehicle and our two dogs, which were part of the hotel reservation and came back to the front desk, the clerk finally showed up. She was unaware of the dogs being with us and I asked to see our reservation. She brought out the reservation and it clearly stated two dogs staying in the room. The hotel has a dog, which has territorial issues and was not comfortable with having two other dogs in the hotel. The room was decent, with bad lighting, but bathroom was completely outdated and small. The room does have a balcony, which is shared with three other rooms so you have people peering in your room all during the day. Completely annoying and yes we could bring down the shades, but the point of the room was to have a view of the castle. Additionally, you do not have a view overlooking the castle, you view the castle about 400 m above you. The view was very lovely though. Breakfast is very good and has a variety. Be careful about ordering eggs in the morning as they are prepared in the fish oil from the restaurant.

Room Tip: Request to have a private balcony with view to the castle.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed there for two nights and it was a nightmare: The hotel is directly on a very, very busy street. I couldn't sleep all night because of the noise. Rooms and bathrooms are very outdated and not particularly clean. The furniture looks like it came from the set of a very bad movie and the beds are very narrow and not comfortable at all.
The hotel is run by a couple of very old ladies who, when checking out, will proceed to write out your invoice on a typewriter... No cards (not even the German "EC" direct debit card) are accepted, cash only.Their dog wanders through the hotel and even through the kitchen of the restaurant.
Prizes are quite high and equally match much nicer hotels nearby.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2012

When I found out Hotel Restaurant Forellenhof Roessle Hotel & Restaurant Goldener Helm was fully booked for the weekend, I felt bit sad that I couldn't get to stay in the highest rated hotels around the area.

I read the review, checked guests comments over and over, reluctantly, I booked Hotel Adler - a smaller and not so hot hotel in the area.
I booked a double room with a king size bed and a view of the castle at Adler Hotel. I arrived at the hotel around 4:00pm Sat., parked my car walked in the hotel, then realized that I couldn't find the front desk (LOL), because I'd entered the hotel from back entrance. It was late in afternoon and felt like there's no one in the hotel. I walked around the large dinning area then found a cheerful young man waving at us through a glass widow at other end of the hotel.
The helpful and polite young man welcome us at the front desk, located our reservation papers then guided us to our room at second floor. I didn't hide my disappointment when I saw the room - I had requested a king size bed and a room with beautiful view of the castle. This room was very small and I had to stick my neck all the way out of the window in order to see the castle through the roof line.
I demanded for another room immediately. The patient young man apologized sincerely and took us asked us to wait while he went to fetch another key, we now in the second room, this room was bright and with a nice view of the castle, while we stood by the window check out the view, he quickly apologized again and again, he told us this room was occupied, we look at each other and laughed out loud, we quickly walked out the room left our laughter behind.
We followed the young man back to the front desk on the first floor, he assured us, he'll do his very best to meet our requirements and he guaranteed that we'll have a pleasant stay at this hotel.
The young man not only wonderful also extremely polite, we really don't mind the extra trouble walking up & down the stairs and all the fun mixed up. We didn't ask the young for his name, but he was best hotel staff we ever met in the hotel (u'll see him in one of the photo) !

Finally, he located a room which met our request, but he warn us about the price difference - We smile back at him .....We followed him to another room once again. As he opened the door, my husband and I said:"We'll take it."
This is a huge room with a wonderful view of the castle, a large round sitting area with lot's of windows, there's a TV, near by is a potted plant, mini bar under a decent size desk, good size bathroom(clean & fully functional) with matching towels, a comfy/clean big leather sofa with a glass coffee table in front of it. The room also provides a full view of the garden terrace below next to a river. You could see the birds dotting around the bushes, singing a happy tune!
The wooden furniture were not top of the line quality but they are adequate; the decor is bit dated, but the ruffle curtains and tiny floral wall paper reminds me of granny's bedroom - A different era, but it's totally lovely ! We called this hotel - Granny's house!

Schoss Lichtenstein is less than 7 minutes drive from the hotel, around the area is Nebelhöhle and other smaller attractions such as Hauff monument and ruins Alt-Lichtenstein, Traifelberg Nordrand-Weg, etc. A perfect place to spend an awesome weekend!

Dinner time, we were led to a smaller area, away from the enormous dinning hall. The formal dinner area was cozy with easy-elegant setting. We truly adore it!
My husband & I had tons of fun while waiting for our dinner(Good Things, Worth The Wait !) - We took pictures of each other and the art works on the wall, we also made short movies of each other with iphone. Dinner guests were friendly local travelers, they watching us playing games and laugh with us. Most guests were weekend travelers in this area.

Dinner served!!
My trout taste fresh and delicious, my husband ordered Filet Mignon, it melts in his mouth. The entire dinner is a unforgettable experience!

We love the young man, we love the hotel owner (a delightful older lady) and we enjoy the whole experience, because everyone made us felt as part of them.

ps: We didn't see the pool nor fitness center at granny's house ;), but we sure had a magnificent time during our stay.

Room Tip: We like room #8 (the room we stayed), good size, nice view, lot's of windows, good value and a very clean room! - It's a perfect room for short stay. A good chief working in the kitchen! In this old transition/fashion town, it'll be difficult to find a ultra modern hotel with sophisticated/stylish decor. You should feel lucky to find something you don't complain much!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We Texans have been to Hotel Adler Honau 3 times now, and hope God willing there'll be more! Mrs Marta Walker (host-owner) is a charmer! The view from the room of Lichtenstein Castle is unequaled! as is the fresh brook trout (Forelle Blau) chef gets out of the little river in back of the hotel. The chef prepares it just the way you ask. I like lots of garlic!!! They cringe when I ask for lots of garlic.The walkway up to the castle is a challenge. We now take the car! The mid-meal treats are delicious and are always available....as we want to snack every two hours. Our mid-meal snoozes are always relaxing and never disturbed. Honau is a very small beautiful village. We leave with tears in our eyes. Truly, can heaven be as good?

Room Tip: ask for view of the castle when curtains are pulled in the room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kenn K
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We spent the weekend at Hotel Adler. The room was big, 3 beds, bathroom with shower and toilet, a small lounge area with TV and a sliding door onto the balcony which had a splendid view of Castle Lichtenstein. As the other visitor said, the interior decor is a bit dated, however, the room was comfortable and clean, there was fresh, clean bedding.
The garden terrace where we had drinks, was beautiful, situated next to a stream which was teeming with trout which we fed with bread.
Dinner was good, typical regional fare, fresh salads and a superb creme brulee.
The owners and staff were friendly and helpful. We spent a great weekend at Hotel Adler and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends