“Perfect Hotel for Relaxation and Food!”
Review of Hotel Elba Carlota

Hotel Elba Carlota
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Just back from a week in this beautiful hotel and beautiful island. Hotel staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Room was a good size and balcony too. Flatscreen TV with one channel in english! BBC World News (all week)! The cleanliness of the hotel and restaurant was exceptional. Myself, my 2 sisters and my brother in law all agreed that this hotel was exceptional in hygiene. Free WiFi was good too !

There is a shopping centre with plenty of shops right next to the hotel. The Spa in the hotel next door (Sheraton) was excellent. They have a special offer on a Sunday, two for the price of one. So we paid 40 Euro for 4 people to use the facilities. Well worth it!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank HixMix
Write a ReviewReviews (4,196)

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed here for four nights and what can I say..........arrived to find I would be waiting 2 hours for my room..........fair enough......while waiting went to see where the room was located and saw that the room was not the sea view that I had booked at extra cost.

When I queried it at checkin the receptionist just shrugged me off saying that the hotel was full due to the Egyptian crisis.............sorry now but not my fault..........At the same time another family were having the same debate............When I suggesting moving to another hotel within the group and paying the difference the receptionist laughed into my face....................this was humilating and never in any customer service industry have I encountered such behaviour but looking through the previous reviews seem I am not the first to be treated like this............

Fearing that police were about to be called..... lol .......I agreed to accepting the initial room and changing room the following day ..............In addition, I was advised that I would get a spa voucher which I refused..............when asked what the value of it was, again I was shrugged off by the receptionist ...........

I found the whole check in experience humilating despite the fact that it was the hotel who were not able to honour the booking made............

For the remainder of my visit, other staff certainly make a great effort to apologise for what had happened and to them I must say thank you...........................

I travelled all inclusive.............the food was good if a little repetitive. Hotel rooms were a good size. However, the standard of maintenance is poor..........the first room I stayed had a lot of rust on the bathroom fittings including the bath itself...........Room cleaning was ok but towels had holes through them........not very 4 star......

Overall, I think the experience at checkin left a sour taste in my mouth towards this hotel..................as a solo Traveller the last thing you want happening is being made a fool of...............Would I go back to Fuerteventura yes..............would I stay at the Elba Carlota..................a very firm NO

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Co.Corktraveller
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Just returned from a week all inclusive at Elba Carlota. Fuerteventura is a lovely island and we thoroughly enjoyed being there.

Our advice to anyone thinking of booking Elba Carlota is don't.

The rooms were clean, and the pool area was great, as expected for a fairly newly built hotel. The hotel location was good. Shame the Elba Carlota lets itself down by the restaurant and bar being abysmal.
We felt sorry for the staff in the restaurant and bars. They appear to be poorly managed (no apparent organisation), understaffed, overworked and miserable as a consequence. The food is disorganised and of a poor standard. Fruit for breakfast was tinned. That said, breakfast was the best/safest meal to be had there. We ate our evening meal out most of the week. The restaurant is not big enough for the size of hotel and although there is another restaurant on site it was not open the week we were there. The house wines were not palatable and of a poor standard.
Be warned the Elba Carlota is not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

2  Thank Pat_Berkshire
Reviewed February 18, 2011

What a great Hotel a perfect oasis away from home. The food was very good altough a little repetative and the service was good. The rooms were very good and very clean with good comodities.

The only let down was when we booked it had photos of a spa and indoor pool but when we got there it had niether of these facilities. On the other hand the pools are good altough a little cold.

All in all a perfect place to stay if you want to just chill out for the week.

And would recomment to anyone especially to do the swim with sealions.

1  Thank Sunnyside1804
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Just got back from a weeks stay at this hotel, facilities excellent, rooms spacious and clean, bathrooms ok which good bath for young babies.
Staff always politie and friendly and no issues in speaking english. Facilities onsite excellent with a 2 minute to the beach or simply stay around one of the two main pools or kids pool.
No issues getting a sun bed as plenty available and the beach in front of the hotel has lovely clean golden sands and a lovely tranquil for swimming with the fishes.
Restaurant food excellent, however on a weeks stay the meals do become very similar but this is only what you would expect from any all inclusive stay. Breakfast plenty of choice, lunch very similar to that of dinner except on some evenings for example friday being paella night, monday Valentines night with red rose for the lady and free champagne during the meal, then Tuesday was Canary night with local singers and musicians in restaurant and more cheese then you have every seen.
Would recommend that you request high floor rooms as ground floor rooms appear to be hidden behind the large bushes of the extensive landscaped gardens.
Hotel situed 10 mins walk from town next to the Sheraton and the sister hotel Elba Sara.
Also next door is the local shopping centre which has a small variety of shops and resturants.
Don't both with transfers as taxi for all three of us cost 12 euro's and took ten minutes in the plentful, clean Mercedes white taxis, were they even had a car seat for our 5 month old daughter.
Would certainly go again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jid563
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The hygenic standards of the hotel were a catastrophe. The towels did not always get changed although they were lying on the floor. We were forced to wait one hour to get new towels.
The plates and the glasses were dirty, they had remains of food and lipstick on them.
The beach was wonderful but I would book another hotel next time. It is definitely not a 4 star hotel.

Reviewed February 13, 2011

I have just returned from a week at Elba Carlota with my partner. We chose this hotel following a recommendation from a friend and I am so glad that we did! The service was outstanding, always happy to help/accommodate personal needs and the hotel was spotless. It is literally a 10 minute drive from the airport and is situated on the edge of the town. We had one of the standard rooms which are spacious with a modern bathroom, a huge wardrobe with lots of hangers, a very big bed and a balcony. It has a private beach which is very clean compared with the main beach further down the stretch!

I have never been on an all inclusive holiday before so I didnt really know what to expect. The food was plentiful and there is a big selection catering for all tastes. There are plenty of salads, vegetables, soups and other healthy dishes. The hot dishes usually consisted of local fish, meats and of course they had pizza, burgers etc too. The selection changed on a daily basis although there was an element of repeatedness to it. The cakes and other desserts were naughy but very very nice!

Despite being such a big hotel, it never felt like I was one of hundreds. In the dining area the staff were very attentive. We had a drink on our table within 5 minutes of sitting down and they were happy to keep topping us up on a regular basis! The drinks choice was fine for us, the all inclusive menu includes local spirits, beers, wine, sangria and cocktails.

During the day, the pools (one is heated and the other is not!) were busy although we never went without a lounger. I have never been to a hotel which has so many loungers! The hotel also has gardens, areas of which are secluded and you can also sunbathe there. They have lots of activities during the day for adults and children which seemed to prove very popular and entertainment in the evenings. Some performances were very good, some not so.

Although I cannot fault this hotel, the resort itself is nothing to get excited about. There are excursions by boat etc but they are very expensive (i.e. £75 for quad bikes, around £50-60 for a boat trip). If you are looking for a very relaxing holiday and do not intend to do very much other than read, lounge by the pool and make the most of the all inclusive food/drinks then this is the place for you!!!

1  Thank anon032
Also consider these accommodations in or near Antigua
Hotel Elba Sara
29 mi away
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
Occidental Jandia Playa
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real

Been to Hotel Elba Carlota? Share your experiences!